Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Me too

I have a first gen 4GB iPhone that is unlocked and jailbroken. It is running 2.0 software.

I like having the apps and cydia, but NEED to keep it unlocked and WOULD LIKE to have a more stable phone that crashes less and has better Edge performance.

I'm on a Mac.

Are you all saying that...

1. I need to upgrade to 2.02 on iTunes 7.7
2. Then upgrade to iTunes 8
3. Then upgrade the iPhone to 2.1

And when doing all those things, I wil...

1. Lose jailbreaking (for good until Pwn gets the ability to add it back)
2. POSSIBLY lose unlocking if I have to restore the phone at any time
3. Get a more stable platform and more functional iPhone

Please answer with hard data or personal experience.

Thanks!

I am in exactly the same position. I just want to upgrade from 2.0 (1st gen) and keep the unlocking. Never jailbroken

hardliner

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Old Europe
Works like charm. Unlock is excellent. And no need for the crappy "jailbreak".

Very good job Apple. Have you discovered some hidden secrets or stuff?

d900man

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Telford, Uk
has this been done with windows at all, i winpwn'd my 2.0.2.

i really what and stable iphone - dont really care about jailbraking.

did u guys just click check for update.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
I have an unlocked/jailbroken 2.0.0 FW (5a347) i want to go to a 2.1 and i dont care about cydia. Do i have to pwn my itunes again and update to a 2.0.2 or can i just click update on itunes from my unlocked 2.0.0 FW?

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Baby Steps

Am going through baby steps until I find out some definite answers for my questions.

Have upgraded and restored to a jailbroken and unlocked 2.02. Phone is working fine.

You're all saying that by upgrading to 2.1 (which I have to upgrade to iTunes 8 to do), I will lose the jailbroken-ness but retain my unlocked status.

Is it really that much of an improvement?
If the PWNing ability is diminished or eliminated, what do I do if I need to get the iPhone looked at by a Genius or taken care of under AppleCare?
I don't use the phone as a phone, but I DO use ATT MediaNet, all-I-can-eat Data and Internet for $19.99 a month on a prepaid plan. I cannot afford to lose that as I've put HUNDREDS of dollars on the prepaid SIM.

That's the main reason I'm so antsy. Thoughts, comments, diatribes, all welcome.

Thanks!

rugbyuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
hi i dont know if anyone can help me but im using windows and i restored my 2.0.2 unlocked iphone to 2.1 an its unlocked but not activated... an itunes says its an unsupported sim.. any ideas

d900man

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Telford, Uk
i have gone for it will let you all know how i get on...

fingers crossed

update: works fine, 2.1 is a good upgrade.

ps where are the settings for auto wipe if passcode is wrong 10 times and also the the repeat sms twice?

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
for the people that are doing this , tell us what version FW were you running before 2.1 and if it was unlocked before. :confused:

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
for the people that are doing this , tell us what version FW were you running before 2.1 and if it was unlocked before. :confused:

Right,
I have a first gen iphone 8gb (aka 2g, not 3g)
I pwned it when the first pwned packages came out.
Around 2.0 software I just updated the phones firmware by "update" in itunes.
Since then I have updated every time (via itunes) a new update came out and has worked fine every time.
Obviously I lost the jailbreak function when I upgraded the phones firmware after upgrading via itunes to (2.0.1) ... and the phone stayed the same after a upgrade to 2.0.2 .... and it still seems fine after upgrading to 2.1

still unlocked.

rugbyuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
i have gone for it will let you all know how i get on...

fingers crossed

update: works fine, 2.1 is a good upgrade.

ps where are the settings for auto wipe if passcode is wrong 10 times and also the the repeat sms twice?

please let me no wat u did... windows vista is it?... an did u click update in tunes or did u download the fireware an click restore....

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Jailbroken, too

DON'T get all excited, but someone at the Pwnage boards has said they had a jailbroken and unlocked phone at 2.02 and just upgraded to 2.1 and THEN quickpwned it to get the jailbreak back.

Does this work? Can someone who is already at the unlocked and 2.1 and iTunes 8 stage try this?

I don't want to try it and have it not work and lock me into a non-jailbroken FW.

Thanks,

d900man

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Telford, Uk
please let me no wat u did... windows vista is it?... an did u click update in tunes or did u download the fireware an click restore....

running vista yeah.

I just hooked my phone to iTunes and clicked cue k for updates and it worked.

I was using a winpwn'd 2.0.2 firmware before that was unlocked.

Hope that this helps

rugbyuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
running vista yeah.

I just hooked my phone to iTunes and clicked cue k for updates and it worked.

I was using a winpwn'd 2.0.2 firmware before that was unlocked.

Hope that this helps

arite thanks.. i think wat i was doin rong is that i restored it to 2.1 instead of updated it so t probably forgot my activation. took me a while to get it back to 2.0.2 then im in the process of updatin it to 2.1 now. ill let you no if this works.. and hopefully this information helps other windows users (of which i am not by choise but by the fact i cudnt afford a mac...lol)

emegmac

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Can someone help. I am running a 2.0.0 2g iphone. My wife already upgraded to itunes 8. Can I just upgrade to 2.1 thru itunes 8, or am I stuck with 2.0.0? Where can I find itunes 7?

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
DON'T get all excited, but someone at the Pwnage boards has said they had a jailbroken and unlocked phone at 2.02 and just upgraded to 2.1 and THEN quickpwned it to get the jailbreak back.

Does this work? Can someone who is already at the unlocked and 2.1 and iTunes 8 stage try this?

I don't want to try it and have it not work and lock me into a non-jailbroken FW.

Thanks,

I call BS on that one...at least not yet. I hope someone proves me wrong though.

I for one want to keep the jailbreak. I like having a video recorder and a better camera, plus all the perks that go along with a jailbreak.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Can someone help. I am running a 2.0.0 2g iphone. My wife already upgraded to itunes 8. Can I just upgrade to 2.1 thru itunes 8, or am I stuck with 2.0.0? Where can I find itunes 7?

you can just connect it to your pc open itunes and hit update and install. YOur done i just did that with myn and it worked perfect from unlocked 2.0.0-2.1;)

thbt

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
Has anyone tried to upgrade from 2.0 directly to 2.1? I am still on 2.0 and don't really feel like going through the extra step of upgrading to 2.02.

I'd like to know if this is possible, too. I short-sightedly upgraded to iTunes 8.0 before doing any research into how I would upgrade to FW 2.1.

Edit: tjobeid beat me to it... apparently it is possible. Can anyone corroborate?

rugbyuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
thanks d man.. ive jus sucesfull updated from 2.0.2 to 2.1 usin windows vista. im re syncin all my apps back on to it an thats guna take a while so i havent had the pleasure to use the phone yet so im eagerly awaitin.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
here is my story , i was on an unlocked 1.1.4, i pwned my itunes and unlocked 2.0.0 then after that all i did was install itunes 8 restart my pc and then just open itunes click install updates. and your done. Unlock stays jail breaking goes away, but its much faster and more batter efficient not to mention Im happy with the apple store free apps.

Just click update . dont be scared . We all did it and i have not herd any bad news.

I believe your phone will not get locked up unless your are updating the baseband for example from 1.1.4 to 2.0 but the 2.0 , 2.0.1 , 2.0.2 and 2.1 all those use the same base band i believe :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.