Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1k1ta

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
hey umm i just unlocked my iphone running 2.0.2 yesterday and it has been working pretty good.. i read that it isnt possible to unlock 2.1 with itunes 8.0?!? is that true? i just dont feel like trowing myself into this whole unlockng proccess without being sure that i won't brick it..:apple:

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I had unlocked/jailbroken my first gen 2.0.2 with pwnage. Here to confirm that once I update to 2.1 through itunes, it is STILL UNLOCKED but all the jailbroken apps are gone.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
hey umm i just unlocked my iphone running 2.0.2 yesterday and it has been working pretty good.. i read that it isnt possible to unlock 2.1 with itunes 8.0?!? is that true? i just dont feel like trowing myself into this whole unlockng proccess without being sure that i won't brick it..
i understand you are new, READ THE last post on page 2. :cool:

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
i understand you are new, READ THE last post on page 2. :cool:

sorrie but I guess you are not understanding correctly then.. mine doesn't say "newbie" underneath my username. I'm just posting to let everyone know that another case has proven true. One person who achieved it doesn't necessarily means that it works for everyone..but if everyone sees that a group of people are getting it to work..then it MUST means that its working.. its called reassurance.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
sorrie but I guess you are not understanding correctly then.. mine doesn't say "newbie" underneath my username. I'm just posting to let everyone know that another case has proven true. One person who achieved it doesn't necessarily means that it works for everyone..but if everyone sees that a group of people are getting it to work..then it MUST means that its working.. its called reassurance.
Sorry my post was directed to( n1k1ta)

davo71

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
I have a first generation 8gb iPhone currently pwned to 2.0.2.

I tried to do the update through itunes 8, and after the 2.1 update downloaded it tried to install but came up with the error message that it couldn't install because the firmware is corrupted.

Help!!!!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have a first generation 8gb iPhone currently pwned to 2.0.2.

I tried to do the update through itunes 8, and after the 2.1 update downloaded it tried to install but came up with the error message that it couldn't install because the firmware is corrupted.

Help!!!!

Try redownloading the firmware.

davo71

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Now I'm in big trouble - I did the update (to 2.1) and it has locked the phone - emergency calls only.

It does recognise my carrier, but in itunes it syas that my sim card is not supported.

What do I do now - help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I can receive calls and it recognises my contacts when it rings??

rugbyuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Now I'm in big trouble - I did the update (to 2.1) and it has locked the phone - emergency calls only.

It does recognise my carrier, but in itunes it syas that my sim card is not supported.

davo dat happened to me the first time i did it.. to just make sure its the same problem... u clicked restore an not update right?

davo71

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a brick now.

What can I do - please help. I need my phone.

Thanks.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I believe your phone will not get locked up unless your are updating the baseband for example from 1.1.4 to 2.0 but the 2.0 , 2.0.1 , 2.0.2 and 2.1 all those use the same base band i believe :apple:

Yeah, and why wasn't I smart enough to read on to this post (^^) before I tried it? :rolleyes: *smacks forehead*

I was running a jailbroken / unlocked 1.1.4, then upgraded to 2.1 through iTunes 8. (Yeah :rolleyes:).
What's more I can't access the screen with the 'restore' and 'update' buttons, as iTunes is showing me a locked screen with the sim card message, hence I couldn't even try installing a different firmware. (Got a 1st gen iPhone unlocked off e-bay)

I think I've rendered the iphone completely unusable. I'd use it as a paperweight, but I have no papers to put it on.

Any ideas, or is the phone permanently unusable now?

Hey guys,

I have a brick now.

What can I do - please help. I need my phone.

Thanks.

Welcome to the club?

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
I call BS on that one...at least not yet. I hope someone proves me wrong though.

I for one want to keep the jailbreak. I like having a video recorder and a better camera, plus all the perks that go along with a jailbreak.

I'll second your BS in a cautionary way. The guy who wrote it hasn't backed it up with details or another post yet. I'm waiting.

My situation - here's what I did today (I'm running Mac 10.5):

1st gen iPhone jailbroken and unlocked and running 2.0.
I used Pwnage Tool to get it 'restored' to a custom 2.02 (still jailbroken and unlocked)
I then didn't even have to update it through iTunes to 2.02 because iTunes saw it as having that firmware.
I then set it up as a NEW iPhone, gave it a new name and synced all my stuff.
Works fine. Now I'm waiting to see if I can keep the jailbreak and unlock and update to 2.1.
I've fallen in love with some of the apps and the easier system tools and misc. fun looks you can get on a jailbroken phone. The only issue that I have to keep my eye on is getting the phone back to 'brand new' and clear of any trace of tom-foolery or monkey business if I need to bring it to a genius bar or if I need to get an AppleCare replacement.

AND from what I've heard, this is a very real possibility based on battery life and a few minor glitches. *The phone was already replaced once under AppleCare. SO, that's another mitigating factor in not upgrading yet.

Thanks!

sotied

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2003
Boston
Yeah, and why wasn't I smart enough to read on to this post (^^) before I tried it? :rolleyes: *smacks forehead*

I was running a jailbroken / unlocked 1.1.4, then upgraded to 2.1 through iTunes 8. (Yeah :rolleyes:).
What's more I can't access the screen with the 'restore' and 'update' buttons, as iTunes is showing me a locked screen with the sim card message, hence I couldn't even try installing a different firmware. (Got a 1st gen iPhone unlocked off e-bay)

I think I've rendered the iphone completely unusable. I'd use it as a paperweight, but I have no papers to put it on.

Welcome to the club?

Take out the SIM.
If you're on a Mac, run the Pwnage tool again but run it simplified and don't jailbreak it, just unlock it.
Some of the steps it goes through SHOULD get the iPhone reset to a degree where you can then restore it via iTunes and have a phone that's back to base level.

THESE ARE HUNCHES, somebody with more knowledge is going to have to chime in.

But if that all works, then see if your SIM works again. And worst case, if the SIM doesn't work and the phone does work, leave the SIM out and take it to Apple to get a replacement. BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE THE PHONE IS BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

Anyone else got a better idea?

Also, go look at iclarified for more info. They might have some suggestions.

verdee

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
So to use this upgrade did you simply click "update" in itunes? Or did you have to restore.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Upgraded pwned 2.0.2 to 2.1

My first gen 8GB phone was jailbreaked and unlocked on 2.0.2 and I just upgraded to 2.1 and it remains unlocked. joy!

EDIT: My email doesnt work... I open it, and it crashes. It was this way before the update... I thought the update might fix it. Any thoughts? It wont let me delete the email account...

neocitron

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2003
Canada

you can upgrade to 2.1 but you will need to activate again.... I'm using a 2g iPhone in Canada... I can't activate, iTunes says i'm using a wrong sim.... so i've screwed myself until Pwnage tool updates.

tjobeid

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008

Welcome to the club?
This might sound like allot, but you might want to try and downgrade itunes to 7.7, use winpwn and try and unlock it with the 2.0 hope that work.

If that doesnt work then what you will have to do is get ziphone still downgrade to 1.1.4 and downgrade the baseband , then try and unlock it as a 1.1.4 just so you can have a working phone for now. THen if that works ill let you know what you can do from there.

make sure to unistall w/e software before you get the new or old one.and restart your system. or nothing will work. When going from 8.0 to itunes 7.7 uninstall and clean up .Then install 7.7

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Sweet! I have a pwned first generation iPhone. Hopefully all future updates will not lock the phone, I could care less about jailbreak I just want the phone to stay unlocked.

gotthat77

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Ok for those who upgraded to 2.1 but are stuck on the emergency screen w/ sim not recognized in itunes.

I had the same issue, but I just downgraded to 2.0.2 and ran quickpwn. Then I restored from a backup and i have everything back. My youtube and email is not working right now but i can live without then as long as i can use my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.