Iphone fixes Data plan to $30 a month instead of $10

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by afgrider786, Apr 6, 2010.

1. afgrider786 macrumors newbie

I got a text message from my carrier, the first " Did you know an eligible data plan is required for your iPhone? Call 611 or visit att.com/iPhoneplans for details". The second "Your iPhone requires an eligible data plan. We have added the appropriate plan for your iPhone. Call 611 or go to att.com/iPhoneplans for info"

Now how do I put the medianett internet back on there? If anyone knows the solution please tell me.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW OR HAVE SOMETHING NOT USEFUL TO SAY (IE: PAY THE $30 A MONTH) THEN DON'T BOTHER WRITING ANYTHING....

thanks in advance to anyone that knows what to do.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Sorry, I don't think anyone is going to have an answer for you.

You got away with some some cheap data for awhile, but there's no way you're going back.

3. joebobthehob macrumors member

Stop using the iPhone or pay the $30. AT&T does system sweeps of accounts and will change the plan based on the IMEI your phone reports to the network. You can call AT&T and tell them that you aren't using the iPhone and have them change the plan, but if you actually keep using it, it's just going to be changed back to the $30 plan.

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

+1

I'm afraid AT&T has the contract, which you agreed to, on their side.

I suspect that the best you can hope for, would be an ongoing game of cat and mouse as you swap your SIM into a dumb phone, get them to switch the data plan back, switch the SIM back into the iPhone, wait for them to detect it and upgrade your plan, then rinse and repeat.

In the worst case following this tactic, depending on how frequently they sweep the system, you might even find yourself paying for both the Medianet WAP browsing plan and the $30 unlimited Internet plan at once, all in the same month.

5. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Even if you did have both plans in the same month, you would only be paying for the amount of days you used each (you can't have 2 data plans on the same phone at the same time). So say you had the $10 plan for 10 days, and the $30 for 21 days... $10/30*10+$30/30*21=$24.33 that month.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Interesting. This is the second person this week that has posted that at&t has automatically added the plan to their account.

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

AT&T iPhone data plan is MANDATORY...either you have the iPhone unlimited data or no data at all

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you're looking for help on how to scam your carrier?
    Iphone data is $30, why do you feel you should pay $10 for it?

9. jtara macrumors 65816

Rephrased: why do you feel we should pay $20 of your bill every month?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Like welfare?

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I agree. Apparently AT&T is beginning to crack down on people who have found workarounds to avoid the mandatory iPhone data plan.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This is not a workaround to avoid an iphone data plan.
    Its a scam to have a data plan but pay just $10 for it.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Why the hell is Apple UK still selling iPhone 3G phones? Seriously - they can't have too much of that stock left -.-

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you do find a way to put medianet back on, AT&T will come along and remove it again.

Apple US still sells the 3G for $99, which is $100 less than the cheapest 3GS.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Get a go-phone account. They can't do anything about it then.

I get 200 minutes (I'm not a big talker)
    Unlimited Text
    No Data (Data Block is on)
    I get to use my iPhone
    No contract.

Just for $50 per month. I like this method best.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry, that's what is going to happen. You ending up paying the $30 a month. You may not want to hear it, but this world isn't unicorns and rainbows.

iPhone terms and conditions state that for you to use one, you are automatically agreeing that they can put a data plan on you if you don't have one. Don't want to pay the $30/month? Don't use the iPhone.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

1. Rainbows do exist.
    2. I use an iPhone every day without data and AT&T can't add on a data plan.

So take that mister jav6454321789!

19. -Leigh- macrumors member

But having an iPhone and not using data, is like having a Porsche and not using petrol. Unless you're in WiFi 100% of the time.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. But unicorns don't
    2. When you get caught, they'll add the plan on you. It may take them a while, they never might, but if they do get you, you will get one. It's just a matter of time.

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

He wants to have data, your plan doesn't help him. Thanks for sharing though because I'm not sure if anybody knew that you are using a go-phone account and are on 2.2.1 yet.

22. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm assuming this only means you don't have EDGE/3G data, right? Or do you also not have the ability to use Wi-Fi?

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

No, it means I like to text and the iPhone is the easiest way to do that and I don't need the internet as much as you do. I just wanted a good phone with a built in iPod.

They can't add a data plan onto a go-phone account. I didn't sign any contracts stating that I have to have data. I canceled my iPhone contract. THey really can't do anything except for stopping my service all together... so if they did that, it's their loss because I won't be paying them anything anymore.

I was responding to someone's quote "Don't want to pay the $30/month? Don't use the iPhone." Well, I was just saying that I have an iPhone and I do not pay $30 a month for data.

I do not have EDGE or 3G, but I can use Wifi. I don't need 3G, I just want a phone for calls, text and iPod. I can't stand texting on any other phone.... ths iPhone is the best for typing on.

24. -Leigh- macrumors member

Seriously, the only reason I have the iPhone, is for the ease of use of the apps, and the internet. If it wasn't for that, I'd have a Blackberry for texting. The iPhone isn't the best phone for texting on?!? I can type 10x quicker on a Blackberry.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And nothing of value would be lost