iPhone XS Max iPhone Foldable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Achillias, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Achillias macrumors 6502

Achillias

What do you guys think of this concept. And would you pay atleast $2000 for it knowing Apple price structure if they came up with something similar.

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No

I know this is a hypothetical question, but where would apple get the display technology. I don't think Samsung is sharing this quite yet.

3. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

Samsung is not only the manufacturer of OLED displays. There are more like BOE, Japan Display or LG display. Also the question is not about the option that sees Apple launching something like this this year. It's going to take a while but if they do launch it would you'd get it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like I said, where would apple get the displays they need. Samsung will want to keep this to themselves for a period of time, as its a game changing technology.

5. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

Read above.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not for me.

Apple does not have to follow Samsung's gimmicks.

No way I would every use an operating system run by Google!

7. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

It's not a Samsung gimmick. Every manufacturer are working on it. So you either join them or you could lose a huge potential market like Asia. And based on Apple new patent files they are working on it. Whether you're interested or not.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I did, and apple uses OLED, so that's samsung only and Samsung isn't going to license/sell the technology quite yet

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Does a foldable iPhone hold its appeal? Absolutely. Is this what the market needs right now for something where Apple would likely charge $2000 or above? No.

I don’t see the future being for a foldable iPhone, I see that being for a very niche demographic, which we don’t know where this would lead ultimately. Even if Apple were to release a portable iPhone, it’s likely not even close for mass production without the appropriate suppliers aligned.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sorry, I had no idea you knew everything.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So Apple is working on this?

12. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

Apple uses more suppliers than Samsung. It's the current OLED market that they went with Samsung. On their LCD panels they had different manufacturers. If Apple could avoid Samsung they would, but Samsung mobile OLED displays are currently the best. So they went for it. And Samsung display (which is different than Samsung Inc.) Doesn't mind selling panels to other companies.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2019 ---
    They are.
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre.../apple-foldable-phone-blueprint-patent-iphone
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2019 ---

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

FYI, just because Apple has a patent/blueprint, doesn’t mean that product will ever come to fruition. Apple has a patents for lots of things, products and concepts that have never debuted on the market before. A patent means a ‘general idea’ for the concept of a product has _not_ been Concluded or approved.

14. Achillias, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

That's just speculation from you're behave. Fact is they've had a patent filled for. And why shouldn't they try to get a Foldable phone. What's wrong with it. If you don't like it get a normal iPhone but there are people who would like to have one. Why do you think Apple is disparate to get their market share back in China but they wouldn't make something like a Foldable phone? That doesn't make sense. In Asia they like to have their phones with as much screen possible. And this is going to be the new trend. Whether you like it or not. All their biggest competitors are working on it. It would be dumb if they wouldn't. It doesn't make sense.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No one implied that a foldable phone from Apple should be neglected, if you read my first post in the thread, I already acknowledged a foldable iPhone has its appeal. So I’m not sure why you’re refuting anything about Apple not trying to experiment with a foldable phone.

Regardless, what do we know so far? A $2000 device is going to be a very niche demographic that will be unobtainable by most for that price point. Either way, Apple doesn’t have the necessary suppliers even aligned for something like this yet, let alone micro LED will likely debut first before A foldable iPhone will.

16. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I guess it all depends on how you define “working on it.” I believe 100% that Apple is working towards developing foldable displays for its mobile devices....whether they will be able to deliver a finished product for production that they choose to sell remains to be seen. But I believe they will do it if they can, and to answer the OP’s question, I would gladly pay $2k for the phone above.

17. Achillias thread starter macrumors 6502

Achillias

If you'd read my post it says I'm responding on your assumptions. And that's true when you'd start a sentence with "just because". Also if you really think a consumer Micro-led smartphone would get released before a foldable phone you really don't know much about the display market. Micro-led is years away for consumers on the tv-market let alone they could create a smartphone with micro-led pixels on at least 1080P resolution.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

No one can explain to me, outside of being two devices in one, what a foldable phone does better than a phone or a tablet.

It's a bad tablet and a worse smartphone.

19. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Why does it have to be better? Can’t it simply meet both my iPhone and tablet needs? Right now I carry both an SE and a Mini wherever I go because no iPhone is big enough to consume content for me, and no current iPhone is small enough for me to use as merely a phone/texting device. If this device simply replaces my existing needs, that’s good enough for me.

20. TheLocNar macrumors member

TheLocNar

If Samsung is going to charge $2k for this, Apple will charge $4-5k. Sorry, but no. lol

21. pmore macrumors member

pmore

I think foldable phones are the next step but I don't see a use for me. I'd rather keep my regular smartphone along to my laptop.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I would get a foldable phone.
    But the technology would have to be much much much more mature.
    - total thickness when folded should be about what the iPhone XR is
    - Folded size about what the iPhone 4 was
    - Battery life like the XR
    - price around $750
    - very robust, high longevity of display

So I guess in 5-10 years.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Right now, I do think they're a gimmick and the price is way too high. No way am I willing to pay 2k for a phone.

I do think the technology is the future, but I also think its a solution in search of a problem. That is they don't know what to use this technology for quite yet. Being so new, this is the very definition of bleeding edge, and I'm extremely sure there will be pain points, and teething issues. I'll wait for the technology to get more affordable, the software to catch up and the issues ironed out

24. cardfan macrumors 68000

I'd be a little interested if I'm honest. But there's some potential dealbreakers to get past.

Reliability. Now there's moving parts. Back in the palm days with battery covers or sliders, this meant headaches and lots of exchanges.

Weight. Performance. Battery life. The fact I don't really "need" an ipad mini so why bother? I'd almost rather have an oled high quality ipad mini with phone features and skip the folding part with an apple watch to compliment.

BTW..i think 2k is being kind..this is apple.

25. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Personally I am happy with a separate iPhone and iPad. the iPhone and iPad individually do better what this would try to do all in one.