iPhone for Professionals / iPhone for kids

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankcah, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

Does anybody else feel really good about their iPhone and know they work hard for their toys and then see a little 15-8 year old with the same phone, and get that feeling...

Im ranting I know, but I can't be the only one. I don't feel the "privilege" as I once did 5 years ago with a Palm Pre and when no "kids" had it. Now you go to a party and their kids have the same phone you do. WTF. YES mommy and daddy pay for it, but it shouldn't be, I feel. Why not make the iPhone $1k and have it be more expensive so little teenie-boppers won't have it.

IMO Apple should've release an iPhone Pro edition, and an iPhone Basic. Pro would have more GB, better resolution, the dual cameras, custom carrier pricing etc whatever.

And the iPhone Pro would have a more practical contract via the carrier and you had to have job in order to use it....

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Oh Jesus. Come on. :rolleyes:

Heaven flippin' forbid you don't feel elitist. Stop worry about what everyone else has and use the iPhone. If it bothers you so much, then go buy something else that does make your ego larger.

In all honesty, I'd prefer you didn't use an iPhone so that the snobby stereotype you exude doesn't trickle to Apple users.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I see more kids with Blackberry Curves than iPhones.

They usually have a Curve and an iPod Touch.

4. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

"Oh come on"
    Lets ALL drive BMW M5s then and ALL fly in private jets and ALL wear white shirts, and be lazy because CEOs to Janitors can all afford the same lifestyle?

It would be the same as the MacBook vs MacBook Pro... bigger screen, more memory better graphics.... Business people have more need for more whatever vs kids.

Why is everyone so sensitive?

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Here's a pin. Deflate your massive ego.

Overcompensating for lacking in other departments, huh?

Oh, and WE are not sensitive. We're not the ones throwing a hissyfit because we don't think we're better than the entire rest of the world. You are.

6. 0815 macrumors 68000

I personally don't care who else has an iPhone and how old they are - I love my iPhone and everyone else can have and love one too.

However I think it is wrong to give kids iPhones - but for different reasons than you do. It is wrong to give kids expensive toys and gadgets - it teaches them the wrong lessons. It is different if they 'worked' for it - but in most cases this is rich parents that don't have the time for the kids and make up for it by buying the all sorts of expensive gadgets. My sons friend in school (2nd grade!!!) has an iPhone (and every game console you can think of and all other sorts of gadgets) - but his dad is never home, keeps traveling on business trips to rake money in and brings always expensive gadgets back - that is wrong!

7. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

Get over your cute little "ego" line. So original. So why doesn't Apple make ONE Macbook and One Monitor and have everything the same? Why make the 30 inch Cinema Display the same as the Samsung Pricing?

I guess I don't settle for mediocre. Thanks for the personal jab tho. I'll be sure to put it next to my earned trophies. Go to China if you want to "live" just like your neighbor. I guess you took a personal favoring to the "kids" note.

I'm trying to have a logical discussion, and why Apple doens't make a PRO edition of their iPhones....

"I agree" is for followers.

8. infidel69 macrumors regular

Why should everyone else pay $1000 for their iphone just so you can feel special? The iphone is popular all kinds of people own it and your going to have to get over it or buy a different phone.

9. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the mature answer. I respect your words, and their backing.

10. HeezyBear macrumors regular

If your self-worth is so tied to an object, you are a very insecure person. And an all around loser.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I will as soon as you actually get over your ego.

You started out your "logical" discussion with jabs at a very large part of this community. There was no reason for it, and you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into. If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Enjoy your toys that you use to measure your self worth. I'm sure you'll be very happy.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

13. naths, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

naths macrumors 6502

wouldn't want a M5 anyway!!!...rather have this...much quicker than your run of the mill M5!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The most expensive doesnt always mean the best,my FQ400 cost me £35,000,a lot cheaper than a beamer!!,second hand,standard at 403hp this thing hits 60mph in 3.5 secs,mine is now 575hp...so work the figures out,wouldnt even bother with the sluggish M5 ;)

14. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I will admit, part of me definitely sees where the OP is coming from. Growing up in a family that allowed me to have bare essentials and very little "name brand" merchandise, i understand the feeling. It is frustrating sometimes to see kids in high school driving nicer cars, wearing better clothes etc. and show no appreciation for where they got it (understood that part of that is the parents doing).

On the other hand, i'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. It is simply the world we live in today and is completely out of my control. I am pleased to know i have worked hard and EARNED everything i have and feel that i get more enjoyment out of my iphone (and other things) than the spoiled kids because of it.

I don't buy what i have for social status or to flash what money i have. I buy them because I like them and they satisfy my wants and needs.

15. samh macrumors 6502

Apple is doing pretty well with their iPhone line, so what you think they "should've" done is not very relevant. The fact is that, more or less, the market has set the iPhone price. If Apple could make more money by selling it for more money, they would. If it were profitable for them to release a super high end edition for you to feel better about yourself, they'd probably do that IF they felt it fit with their longterm producti development vision (something, it seems, few companies have these days).

16. AlkFoo macrumors member

Not a bad questions (iPhone Pro vs. iPhone Basic)... unfortunately, I think as an adult I would probably fall into iPhone "Basic" camp, based on cost. I don't think I necessarily agree with the major reasoning being adults having something vs. kids. Even an "iPhone Pro" would fall in the hands of many of these same kids, as other posters have pointed out (some parents are just going to buy them for their kids).

My thing is: what would make the iPhone Pro, a "Pro". I think you would have justify some type of major hardware and software updates, that the "Basic's" wouldn't have. What would those be? Why not just go iPhone A La Cart. From a business perspective (my novice approach of course), it obviously wouldn't make "Cent$" to make a product "lines" like this for a small minority of consumers.

In some ways... I can kind of see the iPad (although it's not a phone) as the "adult" thing, and the iPhone open to all.

JMO

2nd grader with an iPhone... wow, that's crazy. He's got his own number, too? Amazing!

17. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Wow, just wow. You want an Apple to make an iPhone Pro just so you can have it and *the kids* can't? You *are* being elitist and egotistical, refusing to accept it doesn't prevent it from being true.

Also, as a teenager, what if I told you I had a Mac Pro? Would you then want a Mac Pro Pro? ^_^

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

+1 didn't like that part either :eek:

i'm sure a lot of those 'kids' iphones are hand-me-downs too. either way, the well-off are always going to buy their kids things even you can't afford.

19. 0815 macrumors 68000

Problem is, that if it would be $1000 many of those kids still would get it from their parents - only difference is that I wouldn't buy one in that case - independent of if I could effort it or not - I just wouldn't pay that much for a phone because that would be stupid ....

20. iPhone4you macrumors newbie

I as a 14 year old am saying you might be stereotyping this. I bought an iPhone with $150 of my own money and $50 of my parents. My parents are only paying for the first 7 months of the data after that I am paying. Some of these teenagers saved up for the phone instead of having them given it.

21. victorvu macrumors member

you come here whining because you saw some kids have the iPhone like you do? you feel you're like almighty with the "privilege" you should have when you paid 200$ for the phone? You're what, 12? Geez, grow up already!

22. Skika macrumors 68030

Lol its a phone dude, its not a super status symbol. Why dont you buy a million dollar watch, you can be sure you wont be seeing any kids with it( or will you?)

And Apple will make an iPhone Pro if they see it worth being made and having a purpose. And NO...just being an expensive iPhone for idiots is not a purpose.

23. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I'm a professional, who grew up with parents who weren't wealthy, but probably could have afforded to buy me more than they did, but chose not to. So, what I owned I earned, otherwise, if I didn't need it, I didn't have it. I drove a beat up old mercury, that I bought for $200 and fixed up. There were other students who drove nice cars, even some who drove things like new Mercedes convertibles, etc. Those individuals didn't threaten me, because I was much prouder of my beat up mercury than they ever could be of their parents Mercedes.

Now that I'm older, starting my career, and making more money than I am in high school, I don't feel like anything has changed. I still own only what I can afford, and there are still those who have more than I do, and work less than I do. It's just a fact of life.

On the iPhone itself, I have an iPhone 4. I never really thought of it as a "status symbol" or anything like that, I just think it's a cool gadget and it helps me as a professional tool. As far as "teenie boppers" (Didn't the guy who heads the company who makes this device start his career as a teenager? Anyway...), all they do is make a bigger market. They buy apps, and draw developers to the app store, developers who make apps that can be very useful or even fun. They make a market that means there are seemingly endless accesories for my device, and that if I need service, I can just go to the Apple store instead of having to send it in, because there are so many of them, Apple can afford to do so!

Adding costs JUST to make it exclusive is silly. It's wasted money, AND it harms the product, because the market becomes smaller.

If you want my opinion on what's wrong with society, it's not JUST kids who are spoiled by their parents, it's kids who are spoiled by their parents and grow up and think they are still entitled to be superior to their peers, and instead of being unique by talent, skill or personality, intend to be unique in monetary wealth and posessions. These individuals tend to grow up, and since they cannot find anything to make THEM status symbols, try and turn their kids into status symbols by purchasing them expensive toys and gadgets they neither need nor appreciate, simply so they can live through their kids, remembering that time when they were among the wealthy and powerful.

So, my suggestion for you, have a kid, and buy him an iPhone. Then everyone will say "He must be successful, he can afford an iPhone for his toddler!" You can then go on with life, knowing you have done something most people are to frugal to do themselves.

24. SooneratND macrumors regular

Dear OP,

I see from your signature that you are a photographer. Therefore, I must ask you to cease and desist from using the term "professional" in requesting an iPhone "Pro." Historically, professionals were limited to those with degrees in one of the three learned professions: divinity, medicine, and law.

As a professional, I feel really good about my education and know I work hard for my status, and when I see someone with comparatively little education using my title, I get "that feeling."

I'm ranting, I know, but I can't be the only one. I don't feel the "privilege" as I once did 5 years ago with a title as a professional and when no "photographers" had it. Now you go to a party and photographers have the same title you do. WTF.

Sincerely,

SooneratND, Esq.

P.S. See what I did there? Your post suffers from the same problems.