Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Does anybody else feel really good about their iPhone and know they work hard for their toys and then see a little 15-8 year old with the same phone, and get that feeling...

Im ranting I know, but I can't be the only one. I don't feel the "privilege" as I once did 5 years ago with a Palm Pre and when no "kids" had it. Now you go to a party and their kids have the same phone you do. WTF. YES mommy and daddy pay for it, but it shouldn't be, I feel. Why not make the iPhone $1k and have it be more expensive so little teenie-boppers won't have it.

IMO Apple should've release an iPhone Pro edition, and an iPhone Basic. Pro would have more GB, better resolution, the dual cameras, custom carrier pricing etc whatever.

And the iPhone Pro would have a more practical contract via the carrier and you had to have job in order to use it....

You care what phone other people have? In Australia the iPhone is $1000 and about 9 out of 10 kids at my school have them.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
1. What a tool.

2. Who cares who is using an iPhone? I use mine because it works for me, I don't care who else has one.

3. The more people who have iPhones the better. The more Apple is going to improve the iPhone and iOS.

4. If you want a phone that nobody else has I suggest you look into WP7 models. You don't need to worry about many people buying those phones.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
So let me get this straight OP; you dont want everyone to have the same phone as you? why don't u buy an Android phone or a WP7 device (haven't seen anyone using one of those yet. That way you can be very exclusive. Or, buy a crappy old phone and hollow it out to use as a case for your iPhone.

Seriously though, you come here and tell people that they feel entitled to things they don't deserve? Why don't you come back and complain when you're president then? Since when was photography a highly esteemed profession?

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I think they should make Jesus French Fries. I don't want other people eating the same French Fries as me from McDonalds. The Jesus fries should be $1,000, that way kids can't eat them and I can.
:apple:

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Instead of complaining about teenagers having iPhones, maybe you should be happy for them.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I wish I had an iphone when I was a teenager. Actually seeing a lot of those undeserving kids with their iphones is what finally convinced me to switch over to AT&T and use my unlocked iphone that was on Tmobile to its true potential.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
undeserving kids

Why are these kids undeserving? Many kids I know have saved up for their iPhone and have needed to work for days to do so.

Just because your president, a doctor, a prefesser doesn't make you more entitled to a smartphone then a teenager which has had to work much harder then you to earn it.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I wish I had an iphone when I was a teenager. Actually seeing a lot of those undeserving kids with their iphones is what finally convinced me to switch over to AT&T and use my unlocked iphone that was on Tmobile to its true potential.
I sit in a weekly manager's meeting with everyone else on the Droid Pro and still feel pretty good about my sweet 3gs.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
Does anybody else feel really good about their iPhone and know they work hard for their toys and then see a little 15-8 year old with the same phone, and get that feeling...

Im ranting I know, but I can't be the only one. I don't feel the "privilege" as I once did 5 years ago with a Palm Pre and when no "kids" had it. Now you go to a party and their kids have the same phone you do. WTF. YES mommy and daddy pay for it, but it shouldn't be, I feel. Why not make the iPhone $1k and have it be more expensive so little teenie-boppers won't have it.

IMO Apple should've release an iPhone Pro edition, and an iPhone Basic. Pro would have more GB, better resolution, the dual cameras, custom carrier pricing etc whatever.

And the iPhone Pro would have a more practical contract via the carrier and you had to have job in order to use it....

I've had iphones since i was 15. I payed for all of them. Don't be so stereotypical.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
Why are these kids undeserving? Many kids I know have saved up for their iPhone and have needed to work for days to do so.

Just because your president, a doctor, a prefesser doesn't make you more entitled to a smartphone then a teenager which has had to work much harder then you to earn it.

Couldn't agree more.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I think someone else on here said it already, but I'll say it again. I see more kids with BB Curves, or slider phones than anything else. Reason being, is that parents got their kids a phone for texting, but didn't want to shell out cash for it. So they opted for the "BOGO" special, or "$29 w/ Contract" deal.

I have a 15 year old son, so I opted to get an iPhone 4 for all of us. I don't think of him as an elitist, or special. The cost of the phone was cheaper than getting him a cheap Curve, and then having to get him an MP3 player [probably an iPod]. He has a Refurb MB that was mine from '07. He's made an investment into iTunes, so it made sense to keep his music on something he was familiar with. The cost of the data, texting, etc. isn't much more than a BB with Internet/email/text.

People making blanket statements about kids not needing this stuff, or it should only be for certain people need to zip it. Mind your own business...

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
OP is one of those "specials" I see in subway, stores, street everyday. They hold their iPhones in their hand all the time. peak at the screen every 15 seconds and then look around to see who is looking at them. I have never ever seen anybody do that with Nokias, HTCs Samsungs and ... (type any other brand here). No wonder apple is perceived as snob/prick/retard/poser type of stuff.

Last week I actually made some fun out of this. I was in a subway and guy next to me was doing the same "look at me I got the iPhone" proceedure so I moved closer to him and with the freakiest voice I could up with told him "ooohhhh... I liiiike that phone... Might follow you now cause I want it so bad..." look on his face was priceless.

@OP. You're really sad. Just by reading that story I thought, man this guy suffers like crazy over a phone. Don't wanna be in his skin when some real **** hits the fan.

upbraid

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011

ok prefesser

Last edited:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Basiclly just agreeing with everyone else already said here..would I like Apple to have an "iPhone Pro" and "iPhone basic", sure if that means better specs. But that very similar to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS set up Apple has now.

The idea that Apple should limit the top iPhone to people "with jobs"? Come on, buy the device that suits you best. If anything, other people sharing your device HELPS you because theres more reason for developers to make apps.

Didn't do well in school I take it?

Yup, that's what a typo means!

Last week I actually made some fun out of this. I was in a subway and guy next to me was doing the same "look at me I got the iPhone" proceedure so I moved closer to him and with the freakiest voice I could up with told him "ooohhhh... I liiiike that phone... Might follow you now cause I want it so bad..." look on his face was priceless.

Wow, that's kind of uncalled for. Maybe they are a nervous person, maybe they recent had something stolen.

No need to assume you have all the answers.

(Also I'm sure there are snobs with phones from other hardware makers)

Last edited:

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
OP is one of those "specials" I see in subway, stores, street everyday. They hold their iPhones in their hand all the time. peak at the screen every 15 seconds and then look around to see who is looking at them. I have never ever seen anybody do that with Nokias, HTCs Samsungs and ... (type any other brand here). No wonder apple is perceived as snob/prick/retard/poser type of stuff.

@OP. You're really sad. Just by reading that story I thought, man this guy suffers like crazy over a phone. Don't wanna be in his skin when some real **** hits the fan.

Hahah "might follow you now cuz I want it so bad" haha all I pictured was the old dude in family guy saying that to chris.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Personally, I agree with the OP.

Apple has always been a premium brand, so it's a shame that the brand is becoming 'watered down' by being in the pockets of businessmen and primary school children.

I'm suprised they haven't got an iPhone Pro like they have with their computer line.

Also, it makes good business sense. Part of Tesco's success is having three tiers in their own-brand goods. People can buy tomatoes, save money and buy value tomatoes or feel special and pay extra for Finest tomatoes.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I just don't like when people don't understand how to use the thing, i have the urge to show them when someone s having a hard time, or when they don't understand the multitasking.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Personally, I agree with the OP.

Apple has always been a premium brand, so it's a shame that the brand is becoming 'watered down' by being in the pockets of businessmen and primary school children.

I'm suprised they haven't got an iPhone Pro like they have with their computer line.

Also, it makes good business sense. Part of Tesco's success is having three tiers in their own-brand goods. People can buy tomatoes, save money and buy value tomatoes or feel special and pay extra for Finest tomatoes.

And what category to you place yourself in? A business man? Just because you're working, doesn't mean you should be able to get something someone else can't have. And let's face it... You're no one in this world. So the same could be said about you. Someone rich and famous could look at you and say "Why does he have an iPhone... he's a nobody."

Check your ego at the door buddy. You aren't anymore special than some kid in school, and you don't deserve any special treatment.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Ya know what really pisses me off? Socks! I see so many "kids" theses days wearing socks just like me! Who do they think they are? I work very hard for my socks. There should be 2 kinds of socks. The White "PRO" and the colored "BASIC". The "kids" should have to wear the colored socks and I can wear white PRO. Kids get everything mommy and daddy has these days. Spoiled. Just makes me sick. Its just not fair that everyone else has socks too! Now i feel....so small

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.