Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Wow, bro. It's just a phone. A. phone.
If you want to feel special, then go buy a gold plated iPhone or something. People don't need to pay $1000 for a phone just so you can feel confident about yourself. :confused:

I haven't seen anyone with this yet.
iphone4diamond55.jpg

Let us know if the bumper scratches the band on this phone.

Nice

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The OP's problem isn't a big ego. It is insecurity. You need a $1000+ phone to have reassurance over kids? In two years, you will change it anyway. Why do you care? I know guys who get insecure with their penis size or women with their boobs, but a phone to make yourself feel more special? Hello! It's a phone! Why don't you just think about your car and home more. You can impress more people with that stuff. I understand your reasoning with how easily we spoil kids these days, but they all are just material things that are temporary and "hollow" fulfillment.

Who cares what they have? Write a bucket list for yourself. You will see how owning a particular phone probably won't top people's list. More to life than worrying what kids have. The greatest influence Steve Jobs had on me wasn't introducing iPods or iPhones. He inspired me to become a pescetarian. Now that is lifelong positive impact on me and will be beneficial to my health at 30. Thanks, Steve. This week, I want to learn magic tricks to mesmerize my little siblings.

It is NOT what you have that makes you who you are. It is YOU. Improve who you are. Exercise, eat healthier, travel the world, and learn a language or instrument. Study tantric sex! LOL. Keep improving YOURSELF and not what you have. Live life like it is your last day. It is not all about what you have, but what you know.

Have your iPhone customized in gold and diamonds. Jailbreak it and add some unique themes and add a weather widget. Not hard.

Do you know why so many people are mad at the OP? Because how immature, shallow, and pretentious this all sounds. The OP is acting like a kid with an iPhone 4 and not like a professional.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
I'm a M.D. and went to medical school for 4 years on top of my Bachelors. Using your logic, I should feel sorry for myself if a photographer, like yourself, has the same phone as me because you didn't work as hard to receive it.

See how dumb your reasoning is?

You hit the jackpot with that response!

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
So let's get this straight: You want Apple to charge $1000 for the iPhone just so very few people could afford it, even though it doesn't cost them anywhere near that to produce and they would make less money because nobody would buy them. Why would they possibly need a pro version when they can make it as good as it is now for $200? What kind of advanced specs does a 'pro' like you need in a smartphone? They would pretty much be selling the current one for $1000 and then making a crappy version for us commoners to afford.

You might as well affix $100 bills to the back of your iPhone 4 to make it stand out.I bet no middle schoolers would have that. (and that would be because they aren't morons)

I dislike spoiled kids to, but tough. Get over yourself.

I thought I was bad when I saw people with iPod Touches and I had my iPhone. This guy right here..

Who cares what everyone else is doing? People buying more Apple products only makes me money regardless

+1.

Guess what OP? To deflate your ego even more, I'm a lowly cashier in a pet store and I have an iPhone 4. Three of my co-workers also have iphones (one of them being an iphone 4).

Oooooh... your image must be getting really bad knowing that even us lowly retail slaves have iphones!

And I've gotta fully agree with the I wish you'd go find something else to use as your "status symbol" (I'd say something else but that would be crude ;) ) because I don't want to be associated with your attitude. (Sadly, I think it's too late for anyone who likes Apple products cause people like the OP have stood out and a lot of people see Apple products as just things people like him own to be elitist).

Some of us 15-18 year olds pay for our own phone. Chill out you egotistical prick.

Oh the irony.

really op?

it is just a phone

why do you need to feel elite?

Oh man , the burn against the OP in this thread is making me laugh my ass off

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Wow, why is everyone taking this so personal? In my defense, kids these days feel they are entitled to everything mommy and daddy have. That evo lancer looks tacky btw with all that plastic and diffuser crap.

iPhones should have a Pro series and a basic. Just like how the MacBooks were. You guys are looking into the story too much. The personal jabs ar a bit overboard don't ya think?

Step outside the box. You are on your iPhone and so is everyone else. You have to put a case to cover the iPhone just to be "different". See what I'm saying?

It's like, why don't all people drive a ZO6 corvette? Or everyone wear 'the coolest clothes." You're reading into everything so critically.

My point is, everyone has the same goddamn iPhone, no matter what their age.

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
to tell you the truth op, i seriously think that you do not have the money to be in this "elite" group you wish to be in. there are far more extravagant expensive status symbols, go buy a jet, a million dollar watch, a lambo. its sad that you even would think that a phone could be used as a status symbol. lol

btw im a 17 year old. i mow lawns, make money, i have a 11 inch macbook air, 27 inch imac a mac mini a ipod touch and about to buy the white iphone, i bought all of these items with my hard earned money shoveling snow or cutting grass and even raking leaves while i am in high school. i dont get why i should not be able to buy an iphone :rolleyes:

Last edited:

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Wow, why is everyone taking this so personal? In my defense, kids these days feel they are entitled to everything mommy and daddy have. That evo lancer looks tacky btw with all that plastic and diffuser crap.

I don't think you're really in a position to say how "kids these days" feel.

So what?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
So now you're advocating for age discrimination?
If you bought the phone simply because it's a status symbol, there are plenty of other items that will feed your need for exclusivity better than an iphone.
I don't care if some dim-witted teeny bopper has the same phone as me, because I didn't invest my self-worth into the phone. I bought the phone because I like having my ipod, calendar, browser, etc. all in one pretty and useful package
Anyway, I think it's amusing to see people of different socio-economic status, race, sexual orientation and, yes, age carrying the same phone.:cool:

stephensays

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
LOL @ OP

There's really more to life than an elite iPhone. Why are there so many variations of the Macbook Pro/ iMac series? Because people use it for different things. Some people get bigger screens and faster processors because they do graphic editing and other memory intensive stuff. Others opt out for the smaller screens and slower processors because it still suites their needs ie. basic web browsing, document editing, music, etc. THIS is why there are different variations of the computer series.

The iPhone is an all encompassing device that suites the needs for the majority of people- regardless of age. The iPhone's number of sales to people of all ages, ranging from early teens to old, old grandparents proves this. Therefore there is no real need to have a staggered line of products that caters specifically to one group and leaves out another.

My advice? Get over yourself. There's no need to create a thousand dollar phone just to give you temporary bragging rights to all of your poor, petty friends.

Sorry- people like you set the example of what NOT to be like.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
OP deserves a certificate for the most pretentious, elitist jerk I've ever seen or heard of. Do I laugh sometimes when I see people with iPhones and Blackberries who don't need them at all? Sure. But I don't let it impact my life... Who cares? There are way more important things to worry about than what kind of phone someone else is using... and if you derive your satisfaction in life from having "better" belongings than others, well...

hayden.ostrom9

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
A 15 year old teen...

Hi, I'm a 15 year old kid who as a matter of fact has an iPhone 4 32GB. the ONLY reason I have this wonderful phone is because I have to maintain a 95% average. That said I do know lots of kids that have an iPhone and they clearly dont deserve it.

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
OP is a good example why so many people hate any and all things Apple related. It's a damn phone, get over yourself. OP, you are not important.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
The solution is simply not to define your success through tech product ownership. Technology has become accessible and pervasive. It's not indicative of success anymore. That's why the leftist radical uses the same BB as the industrial capitalist. That said, there are other ways to express your success... like Ferraris. :)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should be happy that Apple was able to make a device that everyone was able to use.

You wouldn't even have all these wonderful apps because nobody would bother developing for a platform that only 60 year old men "are allowed to buy"

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Get over your cute little "ego" line. So original. So why doesn't Apple make ONE Macbook and One Monitor and have everything the same? Why make the 30 inch Cinema Display the same as the Samsung Pricing?

I guess I don't settle for mediocre. Thanks for the personal jab tho. I'll be sure to put it next to my earned trophies. Go to China if you want to "live" just like your neighbor. I guess you took a personal favoring to the "kids" note.

Wow i didn't know an iphone was equivalent to having a dick measuring contest. Apple makes multiple products to hit different consumers needs. Not just so you can say "i have the most expensive apple product".

I bet i have a pretty high income compared to most. I bet i make more than you. One thing my dad taught me was that just b.c you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it. Thats why we see idiots with a 100k income buying a $100k porsche their first year. Rich people stay rich for a reason. Its called being smart with your money.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!

iPhones should have a Pro series and a basic. Just like how the MacBooks were. You guys are looking into the story too much. The personal jabs ar a bit overboard don't ya think?

Step outside the box. You are on your iPhone and so is everyone else. You have to put a case to cover the iPhone just to be "different". See what I'm saying?

It's like, why don't all people drive a ZO6 corvette? Or everyone wear 'the coolest clothes." You're reading into everything so critically.

Buy a POS Vertu then.

Apple does in effect have an iPhone and iPhone Pro in place, just look on their site. You can get an iPhone 3GS for $49 and the 4G for $199.

Hey, if you really want to be 'balla status', fly yourself over to the UK (business class of course) and buy an iPhone 4G off contract. BA do flights from JFK to London City Airport, that costs around £4000 each way. So £8000 + £499 for the phone off contract, then staying in a suite over night, you'll probably be able to spend about $15k-$20k on your iPhone.

Remember to get pictures of the bills and to get that crappy 'I am Rich' app too ;)

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
In my defense, kids these days feel they are entitled to everything mommy and daddy have

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for telling me how I feel, OP.

iPhones should have a Pro series and a basic. Just like how the MacBooks were.

Why? Apple introduces a new iPhone every year, and leaves the previous model on sale at a cheaper price than the new one. "iPhone Basic" is the 3G, as you said, lower resolution and no FFC. I'm not knocking the 3G btw, it's still an incredibly capable device.

You guys are looking into the story too much. The personal jabs ar a bit overboard don't ya think?

We're applying the same logic that you were in the OP (RE: the MD/Photographer comment), you just don't appreciate it because it's a valid point against your argument.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

i know its pointless to respond to the OP because he's convinced its all of us who 'don't get it' but...

OP: differentiation or personal style is great, but every object you've listed has little to do with uniqueness, but merely the need for external declarations of wealth and cliquishness, which the rest of us here find both hilarious and sad.

you aren't talking about things that "professionals" need to better do their job (more GB, faster processor options already exist: you can get a cheap previous generation, or multiple capacities of the current one).

and the irony, as some earlier poster pointed out, is that the real problem with all the kids having this stuff (and i literally mean kids: its even happening at the elementary school where my mom teaches), is that its conditioning them into the OP's exact belief system that having the newest/best THINGS is the best way to define your personal identity and worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.