iPhone front is starting to look obsolete!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Retina display is a nice revamp on the look of the front of the iPhone, but that's only if you have the iPhone screen on.

When the screen is off and you side it with the first iPhone they both look similar

now that apple has worked on the look of the screen now they need to work on the size and one more thing.

First we need a screen size upgrade. 3.7" - 4" is what I am asking for. enough said.

And that one more thing would be something I really would like to see and could really change the look of their products which is a slimmer border iPhone and the home button moving to the side of the device. I have seen some videos showing off what the iPhone would look like in further generations and I must say that with reducing the borders and increasing the screen size that the front of the device looks very modern and elegant.

as for the home button, IF apple doesn't put it as a side button, they can reduce the size of the home button giving more space for the screen and to reduce the borders.

Let me know what you think of on what I have said

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Stop posting jibberish. I really doubt there will be a 4" screen.

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

An object can't "look" obsolete....it either is or it isn't...IMO the screen is fine

4. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Moving the home button to the side would be a huge fail. I agree make the screen 3.7-4 but everything else u said was garbage.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

While the screen size right now is alright, having a little more space could be useful. The problem though is that the size of the device itself is really nice right now. The EVO for instance is just too large in my opinion.

What I would like Apple to do is either stretch out their screen vertically by removing the border space on the iPhone (though that would create an odd aspect ratio), or they could use an EVO sized screen without the bezel that surrounds the screen to cut away the size of the device.

An edge-to-edge display would be awesome.

7. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

stop posting jibberish? These are just ideas and the only upgrade I could think of as of now for the front of the device. I wanted to put out my ideas and hear thoughts on it, thus the reason for posting on the forum.

As for the no doubt on the iPhone getting a 4" screen, your probably right. But I heard that 4" is the maximum for a reasonable phone screen size and that any further would be too much.

I believe we will see a 3.7"

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yeah, it is totally out of the question. Especially since their biggest compitition (Android) is doing it and then some while taking some market share from them :rolleyes:

Jibberish indeed!

9. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I would not mind a 4 inch screen. It can fit in the current design, but the resolution would have to be increased to still have over 300 PPI.
    An iPhone with 4 inch display at 1024x768 would be nice.

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Personally, I like the overall size of the phone exactly as it is. If there was an edge to edge screen, that would work for me- but I don't want the phone any bigger than it is.

11. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

eh thanks for that.

As for the screen, yes it's fine for now but not for future products.

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Well said. That is one of the things I hate on the EVO; that it's a huge brick. Personally, I like the size of the iPhone and how I can easily place it and pull it out of my pocket.

13. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

well maybe 4" is too large.

But a 3.7" would be ideal and still decent enough to hold.

Come on, you don't think a screen size upgrade will be nice?

so you don't think they will EVER change the home button? make it smaller, change the shape, idk.. just something new for once. I think it will happen.

as for reducing the borders, I think that is apart of the screen size upgrade because they need to slim the borders to bring a larger display.

So nothing I said was fail in your eyes except the home button moving to the side.

You know what, Your probably right. The phone doesn't need to get any larger but by removing the side borders and slimming the top and bottom borders I would be happy with that.

And the phone will size will stay the same!

yes it would be nice.

Yeah to keep up the retina display they need to up the resolution.

But I have a feeling we will see a 3.7" screen instead of a 4".

Looks at Mliiis comment. it doesn't have to be as big as the EVO.

Reducing the side borders and slimming the top and bottom borders we can still get the larger screen without enlarging the phone.

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

If a larger screen decreases battery life - do not want.
    If a larger screen makes the phone physically larger - do not want.
    If a larger screen decreases the dpi - do not want.
    If a larger screen necessitates even more coding for devs to fit another screen size - do not want.

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The front of my iPhone 4 looks just fine to me, and the screen size is fine as well. No need for any changes, IMHO.

16. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I agree, the I4 screen is crisp and sharp and can't compare to other smartphones. This was the #1 reason I wanted the 4 from the 3GS.

Marc

18. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

larger screen will decrease battery life but apple will improve on battery life. Thus still will be better than the previous generation iPhones

They can make the screen larger without making the phone physically larger by removing or slimming the borders.

Larger screen decreases the DPI is what apple would not let happen. They will figure a way

Your last statement I have to agree with out but that won't put me away from not wanting a larger screen. The devs will just update and we have to bear with it for awhile as they update.

19. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

You mean to tell me with the screen turned off they look similar? What a surprise.

And actually, they don't at all really. the iphone 4 screen has a dark color when off. Which looks alot nicer than the grey screen on the 3GS. When its turned off, the natural color of the screen matches the black of the rest of the front, giving it a more clean finish. Also, you can see the pixels on the 3GS screen when its off, the iphone 4, you can't.

20. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Stop staring at it and blink a couple of times and it will look better.

21. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Successful cars keep the basic design and build on it. Same with Apple, its why people like their products they know what to expect.

22. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

Totally agree with all those statements, especially the last one. Having to have the devs recode gave me flashbacks to the iPad. The iPad has a massive screen, but waiting for all the devs to retool/recode their apps to match the size and then a lot of them wanting to charge more, was horrible. I imagine one more cycle of pain, if and when the iPad gets a retina display, as once you fall in love with the higher dpi, everything else looks fuzzy.

23. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

a smaller home button or a reduced space top and bottom of the screen i can see happening, but not a bigger screen.