iPhone newbies - What should we do to prepare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenStripe, Jun 14, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

So, I have a week of waiting until I get my first iPhone and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can/should do ahead of time.. Like, I already entered all my old contacts into address book so they could sync. I'm going on a trip on Saturday, so I don't think I'll have a lot of time to get it ready on Friday.

Thanks!

2. tyranical macrumors regular

Buy a decent case? Iphone docking station etc?

I ordered a speck candy shell earlier on.

3. slapppy macrumors 65816

Say goodbye to your money. You'll be buying apps like a madman! :p

4. ryvetted macrumors member

Have money ready, cause you'll be an App-aholic before you know it:D

Also, never, ever, ever, ever get your iPhone near a drop of water, whether it be a cup of coffee, bathroom, etc ever. Don't put it in your pocket when you're near water either.

5. tyranical macrumors regular

Whats this business you mention of putting your numbers into a phonebook btw? Is that on itunes? I'm an itunes virgin.

6. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

Ah, always a good reminder.

Oh, and tyranical I don't know if you're on a mac or not, but if you are there's an app called Address Book and I'm pretty sure it syncs with the iPhone.

Do you know if my mail account settings will also sync, or do I have to set them up again on friday?

7. tyranical macrumors regular

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Organize iTunes, calendars, email accounts, contacts.

Go on the App store and download all the apps you want to try (at least free ones for now).

Go and buy accessories/cases (maybe).

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

You can tell itunes to sync over the mail settings so you are ready to go

Check to see if your email works on IMAP, makes it much easier when you have multiple devices

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Heck, buy somes apps ahead of time, so you can just load them up and go. Maybe buy a movie rental or two so you can transfer them over without the download time?
    Depends on your budge t- there are a lot of free apps, and discounted apps out there. Free mobileme trial is also an option - could the put some files on it.

Sorting out pictures for your contacts , second numbers, birthdays, adresses etc really helps so all the contact details are correct etc. Pain to do, but once you've done it just back up, then sync.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Start putting some playlists together and converting movies for your iPod. You're gonna need some entertainment while you're travelling!

12. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

13. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

When I was waiting for launch day last year, I started getting all the apps I wanted thru Itunes, that way they were ready to go with the initial sync. A case is always good. And the anti-glare screen protectors at the :apple: store are great. Good luck with the new phone. Enjoy!

14. yakkonvazn macrumors member

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that's funny.. 6 months into my iPhone 2G - i have yet to buy an App.

then again about 2 months ago i jail broke it.

if you are getting an iPhone - make sure you don't touch your face a lot.. say hello to a dirty screen from the oils

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I got my iPhone 2G in August, and didn't buy an app that costs over $0.00 ever.

My brother bought 3 for $0.99 though.

We're on the same iTunes account.

17. Music Doctor macrumors newbie

I'd suggest going through your pictures and getting a nice collection of photos organized into a photo album you can bring on your iPhone. Granted, this may be a more important task for a parent/grandparent rather than a single person...but one of the nice things about the iPhone is to have important photos visible at all times to show and tell when asked.

18. ryvetted macrumors member

This is my blue case, with an additional mirrored front:
    [​IMG]

19. shrewd macrumors member

I will be an iPhone newbie in a couple of weeks and would appreciate somebody answering the following questions for me.

Does an original iPhone 2g screen protecter fit the 3g/3gs?

I have a hotmail account as my main email that I use. Is it possible to set this up so that when I tap on 'mail' it will go straight to this account?

And in reference to the contact thing. How do I pre-load my info like the OP said? Is this done on itunes, I don't quite understand.

Thanks

20. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

Oh yea, do you think I should get new headphones, or do the iPhone standard ones work well?

21. ryvetted macrumors member

I have Hotmail too and yes, you can set it up very easily so that your main mail button will open to your Hotmail account.

22. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Thats a great case! I have the black now. I can't say how well the white fares along the lines of dirtiness and scratching, but the black serpent is as good as new to this day!

I have bose in-ears. If you are an audiophile, you might hate the apple headphones, but they work for most people. I like my bose inears. It was a great purchase imo. Use them everyday and every night.

23. Noelmel macrumors regular

i already downloaded 42 free apps from the itunes store lol now when it comes i can just sync them over :)

24. Slypr macrumors member

The stock ones are nice since they have the built in remote/mic but they don't have the best sound quality, and they don't fit everyone's ears. Also if you want sound sound blockage your going to need a different pair since the stock ones let in a lot of ambient noise

25. thereitis macrumors newbie

This is my very first post on this forum, so a quick Hi to everyone!

Thank you for this thread. I currently have the BB Curve, and will be changing over to the new iphone 3GS. I am excited and looking forward to it all. I have been reading along here for a while now.

My primary email account is through Hotmail also. I understand I have to set it up through itunes, is that correct. I will also have a gmail account, I can have both go through to the iphone, correct?

I like the look of that SwitchEasy case....is there any other accessories I might need?

Any App recommendations, especially free ones?

Thank you all!