Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I thought the same as this but quite a few people seem to recommend getting a docking station.

Is there any advantage to having one?

Aesthetics, mostly. It's much more attractive to have a cleanly-wired dock sitting on your desk than a stray, slowly-coiling iPod cable. Plus, since it props up your phone at a nice angle it's easier to see the time, incoming calls, or what have you.

Plus, if you have it away from a computer, say, plugged into a wall socket (using the iPhone's adapter, of course) you can put an audio out from the dock to a stereo system, and use an included Apple Remote to control the thing.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
If that means what I think, that isn't very kind!

what? kind? nice?

ITS THE TRUTH.
ITS THE ONLY THING PEOPLE NEED TO DO.

I DO NOT OWN AN IPHONE.
I BARELY KNOW A THING ABOUT IT. IM A NEWBIE TOO.
PEOPLE NEED TO JUST READ THAT DAMN THING.

thereitis

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Not at all, I have found out a lot od useful information on here. Using an AmEx card to buy for example.

No need to make the thread hostile

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
sorry dont mean to sound hostile/aggressive.

But the pdf guide is pretty thorough.
People just dont wanna spend the time to read it or learn about the specifics.
If you read it and learn the important basics before you make the purchase, it will be better and easier to get going smoothly and happily.......

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
what? kind? nice?

ITS THE TRUTH.
ITS THE ONLY THING PEOPLE NEED TO DO.

I DO NOT OWN AN IPHONE.
I BARELY KNOW A THING ABOUT IT. IM A NEWBIE TOO.
PEOPLE NEED TO JUST READ THAT DAMN THING.

DUDE..... the phone didn't come with a manual...... i've learned a TON from this forum.....

people come here to ask questions and LEARN!

AND.... if you don't even own one...... (or not planning to get one) why are you in here being rude to people asking legitimate questions?????????

didn't your mother ever teach you that the only stupid questions is the one not asked????????????

thereitis

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
sorry dont mean to sound hostile/aggressive.

But the pdf guide is pretty thorough.
People just dont wanna spend the time to read it or learn about the specifics.
If you read it and learn the important basics before you make the purchase, it will be better and easier to get going smoothly and happily.......

Thank you, for the apology. I just came here to learn and I have. Just wanting to be an informed buyer. I didn't know about a .pdf

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
lol

go to apple website>support>guides
dont think they give print outs with the products anymore... so you gotta download them from their site....

whatever.

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
... Sorting out pictures for your contacts , second numbers, birthdays, adresses etc really helps so all the contact details are correct etc. Pain to do, but once you've done it just back up, then sync.

Newbie here, Greetings... I don't have a new iPhone 3Gs yet, but the main thing I would appreciate knowing for sure, is does the iPhone have spaces in the address book for actual street/mailing addresses? Or does it only allow phone numbers (like my current Nokia)?

Many thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.