iphone on cincinnati bell

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shrizzou, May 22, 2008.

1. shrizzou macrumors newbie

i was wondering if anyone has an iphone unlocked with cincinnati bell. do all the functions work alright, or do some things not work correctly? and would it be best to get the $15 unlimited text/data plan to add onto my family plan? thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Try not to.

Cincinnati Bell is a 1900 MHz GSM provider, so it should work well.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

If you can unlock it, a Cinci Bell SIM should work fine. But just get AT&T...if you roam on Cinci Bell you're using the ATT network anyway. I loved CBW, but if you're leaving the area a lot, it doesn't make sense.

4. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

iPhone on Cinci Bell

Hey...

I'm using the iPhone on CBW since Nov. '07 and haven't had any problems at all. I travel a lot, and yes, CBW contracts with AT&T, but for me, I can't pass up CBW's plan. I have unlimited calling for $60/month plus $15/month unlimited data & text. I was a lucky one on the calling plan. But, if you want the data, call and register it or I think you can add it from Manage My Account on cbwireless.com

5. cygnusuc macrumors newbie

Curious to know if anyone has a 3G iPhone on CBW yet.

6. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I don't yet but I do have their new 3G SIM card. I had problems with it working out of Cincinnati on a 3G network & phone

7. cygnusuc macrumors newbie

How'd you go about getting a 3G SIM Card?

I've never had any trouble with CBW and phones they don't sell. Previous phones include the Nokia 6820 and E70. I don't really want to advertise that i'll be using a 3G iPhone to them though...

8. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

3G SIM Card

well cbw is going 3g; it's just a matter of when. They do have one phone, Nokoa 3555, that's 3g but it's still listed as edge on their site. Anyway I called them in the beginning of June and the rep told me. I went to the downtown store, I told the rep I wanted one, he took my old sim, copied it, and gave me the new one. On the phone she said it was gonna be $20 but he didnt charge me.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Which iPhone ? 2.5 pr 3G?

10. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I guess it's still 1st gen. Got this one in Feb.

11. Bodah macrumors regular

Is your data restricted in any way, meaning can you load full HTML webpages?
    I used to be a CBW employee, and the only way that they wouldn't restrict the data is if you had an unlimited tethering plan for $50/month.

12. jetta0816 macrumors newbie

Did you have to go through a lot of hacks to get the data and message plan to work like the people who have T-mobile with T-zones, or did you simple just change the APN in the iphone to get the plan to work.

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i have 10 mb of unlimited data. every page loads fine for me, and is the same speed as my zoomtown wireless

14. Bodah macrumors regular

Are you sure you just aren't using wifi? There is no way that EDGE is the same speed as your zoomtown unless you have a TERRIBLE zt connection, worse than dialup. You don't need to have any service to use wifi.

15. illidian macrumors 6502

I've got no problems. But I'm also switching to AT&T soon anyway.

16. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i use wi-fi when i'm home. my zoomtown is fast as hell, but i haven't really noticed cinbells edge being terribley slow. i use i-wireless. (used to have cinbell 500, but as im 15, its too expensive) i have the unlimited everyday plan for $3.00 a day. (i know $90 a month) i usually have about $80 bucks on my balance at all times. i recently went to colombus for the good guys car show, and we got lost trying to find the grounds. i used edge for maps to get directons and to do a google search or two. i checked my balance when i got home (because you cant when roaming) and those bastards charged me $47.65 for it.

17. ucbearcats macrumors member

Why would you pay $90 plus roaming charges rather than take the 500 minutes and unlimited text and date (no roaming charges) for $55 a month?

And where did you get your iPhone? Because I want to get one and put on Cincinnati Bell too.

18. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

if i dont have money for a little bit, i dont have to pay like i would with my plan, i used to use my nokia 6300 that i bought new for i wireless around march and i rolled it over. the talk time went all the way through 59 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds, 71,900 messages sent 72,030 recieved. it wont move!

i got my iphone for $200 with 1.1.4. i unlocked it myself. the guy even delivered it from mason! i live in western hills.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=iphone

check here youll find one

19. ucbearcats macrumors member

Prob just wait for a refurb 3G. Then by that time hopefully they can get an unlock. Plus by that time maybe Cincinnati Bell's 3G will actually be open. From what I hear the capability is there but they are awaiting for FCC approval. Heard late August or September it should be on. But I will believe it when I see it.

20. ucancalmematt macrumors newbie

If I were to buy a Cin Bell $15 Unlimited Data Plan, would it include Nationwide Roaming. I live in NC but am in Cincy and really like the $15 data plan for my unlocked iphone, but hope it will work in NC via AT&T or so. It's just much cheaper than ATT. Any Insight? And can I buy a Sim with a Data Plan only?

21. ucbearcats macrumors member

I have heard you have to make a certain percentage of your calls in the Cincinnati area. However I don't know how they judge that because I know people off to college that rarely come back that are on Cincinnati Bell, no problems. Would include Nationwide Roaming.

Nope, just get the cheapest voice plan.

22. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Cbw 3g

I've been waiting for them to turn it on forever. Well, I just read their Investor Relations news today and in their quarterly call they said their 3G network is up and ready to go! It's just a matter of FCC Spectrum approval or something.

I just can't believe they wouldn't have had this done earlier. oh well

23. ucbearcats macrumors member

Seems to pretty well go with what I said earlier. Well I am not sure if it is Cincinnati Bell's fault entirely. I mean since when does the government work fast? The more concerning thing is CinBell only offers 1 3G capable phone. Leads me to believe they are not very close to get approval.

24. 660av macrumors newbie

$500 phone bill for cin bell iphone

I just got a 1gen iphone and unlocked it and have it on cincinnati bell. I don't have the data plan, I do pay as you go for text and data. However if wifi is off, I can't surf the net so I did not think it works. I only surfed over wifi, OR SO I THOUGHT.

Today, I got a text from Bell today saying I was close to going over my limit on data and text. I called and they said I had done 10 meg so far and my bill was going to be $500.

That's $500........

I had them upgrade me to the unlimited data & text for $14 which is retroactive and should take care of this $500. However one supervisor was not sure that, that would cover the data coming from an iphone, since it is like a black berry a "smart phone" and that is a different plan. I have to wait till see what my bill is actually when it is generated. It is my understanding that if my bill is $500, there is nothing I can dso about it.

Now I am on the unlimited data plan and if wifi is off I can't browser the net.

I don't need or want the cellular data, Can someone explain how and for what my iphone was accessing cellular data network and how to stop it? Does it need a data connection or use a data connection for maps? However, I noticed I don't get maps if I don't have a wifi connection.

I only need to use wifi, so I asked them to disable Cellular data on my phone completely starting with the next billing cycle.

If my billis $500 what can I do?

I did look in the usage and it did show some data on the cell network, I will be watching this closely, but why?

Any thoughts.

Thanks