iPhone on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trout74, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

What is the general consensus as to when it will likely be available on Verizon? I had the original iphone and AT&T, but after my two years, just up, had to leave to go back to Verizon, AT&T is just not a very good network, and it doesnt work well where I live.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Trout

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You are more than welcome to read he other 250 threads on this topic to answer your question.

3. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

actually I looked through the first three pages and saw no posts on the topic, im not going to read 5000 pages to find it, so in stead of being an Ass, maybe you could just give me the consensus on the topic.

trout

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

**notices the "search forums" box in the upper right corner of the screen**

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You do realize that this question has been answered countless, countless times. Answer is, Verizon will never get an iPhone while AT&T continues their agreement with Apple.

Besides, Verizon can die in a fire, those bastards.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

i was watching the wwdc keynote and (im pretty sure) people laughed at at&t for mms "coming later this summer" and when they weren't mentioned when talking about tethering. the guy giving the iphone keynote just looks down at the floor and continues with his presentation. i would say thats pretty embarrassing for at&t to see and hopefully gives apple some incentive to consider other carrier options in the US

7. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, terribly sorry.

STEP ONE: Place your hand on the mouse and move the mouse forward and to the right (notice how the pointer on the screen moves according to your mouse movements! :eek:)

STEP TWO:...

STEP THREE: Profit!!

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

But, even if Apple wants to sell iPhones to Verizon, how it would affect the current arrangements between Verizon and Blackberry and other phone makers has to play a role in Verizon's decision. Personally, I don't see it happening in near future. But, don't take my word for it.

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

YAY!!! EVERYONE WINS!!!

[​IMG]

11. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

And even then, Verizon won't be able to support iPhones until the iPhone is updated to work on 4g networks. The current 3g iphone can't work on Verizon's CDMA network, and Apple's not likely to make a CDMA iphone just to work on Verizon, when every other iphone carrier in the world uses HSDPA.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple originally had a CDMA phone, but apparently Verizon were bigger douches than ATT. Apple could easily make a Verizon phone because the profits would far out-weigh the cost.

13. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that is too bad for me I guess, I was under the impression that Apple went to verizon first...therefore it could work on their network in theory. Just seems very logical to get it on Verizon, then the number of users would likely go way up. Why alienate potential customers, too bad.

14. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Check back in 2012. By then Apple's contract with AT&T will be up and Verizon will be transitioning to a form of GSM so they can have 4G. CDMA, the proprietary system they have been using, is not used anywhere else except in parts of Canada, and S. Korea will be phased out. Apple wants to only build the GSM model since the iPhone is sold around the world. So by 2012 all the cards will be in place for Verizon to take a stab about getting the iPhone. But neither they or their partner, Vodafone, has shown themselves to be very adept at making the right moves thus far.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

presumably they went to verizon with the concept, not with an actual iphone in-hand that could run on verizon's network.

16. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

You're all kinda dumb...

...its because Verizon doesnt like black people....

...sheesh...

:p

17. wildbillwn macrumors newbie

Sorry, Trout for all of the crappy responses you received from some on this forum. I was looking for the same answer. I have read 2010 and 2012 for the exclusive contract between AT$T and Apple. In my research, I found a legal document that states 5 years (summer 2012). Here is that link:
    http://www.scribd.com/full/6373862?access_key=key-27mettlt96n373mf54d2

18. BMac702 macrumors regular

Lmao, I completely agree:D

19. MTI macrumors 65816

If history is any indicator of future events . . . you wouldn't want an iPhone from the "can you hear me now" Verizon folks.

VZW has a very bad bad habit of crippling features on devices so that they can foist their flavor of music, gps, web, etc. on their subscribers. They did it to the Palm, Blackberry . . . so don't be so fast to wish for Verizon.

20. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yes, crappy. The very first reply simply asked why this person didn't search, to which Trout replied that they're "not going to read 5000 pages to find it" to find an answer. So, instead of searching, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES, this person started ANOTHER THREAD. Yea, it was everyone else who gave crappy replies here. :rolleyes:
    I don't want them to switch to VZW. I want them to offer the phone ALSO on VZW. I just want more choice. Hopefully when 4G becomes more available, the exclusivity with ATT will be over, and we'll see an iPhone available much wider.

21. w00master macrumors 65816

And yet, I'd still rather have VZ than AT&T. At least their network can handle it. Btw, I'm 99.99999% certain that VZ would have had MMS ready ON DAY ONE OF 3.0 LAUNCH.

w00master

22. MTI macrumors 65816

Would you still want it if you couldn't use iTunes, but had to use VZW's VCast or VZNavigator (although I believe they finally unlocked the Blackberry GPS) . . . I bet not. ;)

23. w00master macrumors 65816

You think when 4G happens with VZ that this will happen? I think not.

Again, I'd rather have VZ than AT&T WHO CAN'T EVEN GET MMS WORKING ON DAY ONE.

w00master

24. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Sorry but Apple has no interest in developing an iPhone for dated CDMA technology.

25. w00master macrumors 65816

UGH. You do know that eventually VZ will be on 4G (probably YEARS before AT&T). It's been stated time and time again by BOTH Apple AND VZ, that when that happens there's a very good chance that Apple will bring the iPhone to VZW.

Where did I say anything about CDMA?

w00master