Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Yes! Better use of notifications!!! When I get a text and don't necessarily want to exit my current app at that second, click dismiss or close, it doesn't even show up as a badge and I forget about it. I hate the pop ups, they're intrusive and annoying. Something like Android's Blinds comes to mind...

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I think a small makeover would be good. But just giving us some customization options would be enough for me, things that a jailbroken phone can do now. It would keep a lot of people from jailbreaking so they wouldn't have to worry about that so much.

The stacks are awesome on the iPhone.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
It needs to be able to handle notifications MUCH better. I JB my phone mainly for use with iRealQuickSMS. I want to be able to reply to a message from within the pop up notification so I don't have to stop what I'm doing and close it out completely. Also, there should be a notification bar at the top that shows you all the different notifications you have missed (missed calls, voicemail, email, etc). There are JB apps that are trying to come up with ways to do this but if Apple just jumped on board and worked it into the OS it could be so much better. Oh yeah, allowing backgrounding needs to be implemented too. At least let us run 1 or 2 apps in the background. I'm running backgrounder and I can run Pandora, GPS, BeejiveIM all in the background while I'm checking emails and there is NO lag at all. Yeah it kills the battery but the only time I run all that is when I'm in the car and plugged in anyways. As far as the springboard, I still like it. Maybe somehow introducing Categories or some way of grouping icons into folders would help make it easier to manage, but besides that, I like how it is now. That is ALL I would need in 4.0 and I would be extremely happy.
+1
Very good post

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think it needs a whole new UI. Maybe make it look different, but not new.

You don't just change the UI of things, that's what makes the product. Macs don't change UIs because they are old, the just make it look a little different and add a few things. Same for PCs, WM phones etc.etc.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Wants for a new interface? Simple: A desktop. I want like what Android has. A desktop that has maybe some widgets for weather, SMS, etc. A calendar, etc. Clean. I get disappointed unlocking my iPhone and having pages upon pages of icons thrown at me. One of my favorite Android features is the home screen desktop.

homeScreen.jpg

Smrtphoneaddict

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Wants for a new interface? Simple: A desktop. I want like what Android has. A desktop that has maybe some widgets for weather, SMS, etc. A calendar, etc. Clean. I get disappointed unlocking my iPhone and having pages upon pages of icons thrown at me. One of my favorite Android features is the home screen desktop.

homeScreen.jpg

Totally agree.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It needs to be able to handle notifications MUCH better. I JB my phone mainly for use with iRealQuickSMS. I want to be able to reply to a message from within the pop up notification so I don't have to stop what I'm doing and close it out completely. Also, there should be a notification bar at the top that shows you all the different notifications you have missed (missed calls, voicemail, email, etc). There are JB apps that are trying to come up with ways to do this but if Apple just jumped on board and worked it into the OS it could be so much better. Oh yeah, allowing backgrounding needs to be implemented too. At least let us run 1 or 2 apps in the background. I'm running backgrounder and I can run Pandora, GPS, BeejiveIM all in the background while I'm checking emails and there is NO lag at all. Yeah it kills the battery but the only time I run all that is when I'm in the car and plugged in anyways. As far as the springboard, I still like it. Maybe somehow introducing Categories or some way of grouping icons into folders would help make it easier to manage, but besides that, I like how it is now. That is ALL I would need in 4.0 and I would be extremely happy.

The android/HTC hero notification system is perfect. Icons appear at the top left hand corner of the screen, then just click drag it down to open up a drawer with all of your notifications.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
See - and I like having quick/fast access to my first page of apps and would hate to have to go through a screen to get to them. I think there should be a lock/home screen with more info - perhaps widgets/alerts. But after sliding - either go right to the apps page and perhaps on the apps page they can have an icon "home" which would go to a page like uberamd suggested

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
See - and I like having quick/fast access to my first page of apps and would hate to have to go through a screen to get to them. I think there should be a lock/home screen with more info - perhaps widgets/alerts. But after sliding - either go right to the apps page and perhaps on the apps page they can have an icon "home" which would go to a page like uberamd suggested

I'd like folders, where I could just click on "Games" and go to games. "Utilities" to go to utilities. Etc.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
It needs to be refined, but I don't want them to rush it if they going to change the UI they need to make it as polished and nice as the current one.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
TBH I have to say that the current system works very well and is very easy to navigate and find what you want.
The way all the icons and things on the screen are shown and the current theme setting does need to be changed. The ability to change how many icons show on a page and how the are displayed would be good to see changed so you can control where they go, not just clumped up at the top of each page.
The ability to theme. Change icons, the dock, and the background.
and also to be able to run 1 or 2 apps in the background.

TBH These are the only reasons that I jailbrake my iphone. I change the theme as i cant stand the sight of the standard OS.

I change the background from black to what i want. I have icons placed where i want, and i have backgrounder so i can listen to the radio while I read mail or look on the internet.

Some good points here as others have said.

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
All of your points are well said here, however, apple must resolve the lack of document and file management in the new OS. It needs to be integrated.

Mobile me is a complete failure and it lacks support of many, many files. It really does no more than airshare. I know know why apple is so deficient and its ATT network.

We need to be able to store, share, print and email all formats of file content and ATT doesnt have the capacity. MMS is now a challenge.

File management is the sole weakness of the current OS. You cannot even upload content from the phone itself including emailing a video over 10mb.

Such limitations cripple the functionality of our current phone.

I cannot wait to see the responses and rulings from the Fcc. I feel strongly that ATT forced Apple into work arounds and that is the reason the phone is functionally is so odd in managing content over ATTs network.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
In the thread somewhere on here about the next iPhone I brought this up. I see an interface refresh and background apps happening, but background apps limited to the new handset (next June ofc)

jayenh said:
i was thinking more along the lines of eye candy. not to the point where it screws up functionality and ease of use, but other phones are trying to steal customers with their drag and drop widget type stuff and i think apple will do something (maybe no widgets, but something) to make the interface feel fresh.

they just need to make it feel new again and more appealing to the people who look at the other phones out there and think "that looks pretty...." then look at the iPhone and say "black background?". I know there's jailbreak, but your average customer probably doesn't even know it exists.

Btw, god bless copy and paste :)

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I think 4.0 will have an entirely brand new UI. The standard iPhone UI is getting rather dated. I can't wait to see what iPhone OS 4 is going to look like.

I think we need a better springboard. The current one is okay for one page, but if you get too many pages going, it looks cluttered. We need folders and different customizable views. When Apple originally designed the iPhone OS, I don't think they were thinking about thousands of third party apps... so they didn't design it with the App Store in mind.

What do you think? New UI in iPhone OS 4?

Why would you care, 2.2.1 will still be designed for the 3G

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I agree, the iphone GUI is getting outdated and needs a overhaul. I'm hoping apple will give us the ability to customize menus.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Yeah! the iPhone needs a facelift!, its getting a little boring!!

and with cool phones like the HTC's (Androids) and the PRE around! apple should start doing something! those phones could cost a lot of sales next year if apple doesnt do anything...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The black background ANNOYS me. I'm so thankful for jailbreaking. I can't believe Apple hasn't allowed us to change the background yet (not the lockscreen background).

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Apple has never been much bothered about users who find the interface 'boring', they design for what they perceive as ease of use. Baring in mind the typical interface on cellphones before the original iPhone shook up the market, and how far everyone else has had to go to rethink the way users interact with their cellphones, I think Apple got the UI pretty much right for the vast majority of the market.

I also don't believe that the majority of users much care that this year their iPhone looks the same as it did last year. They don't look at the thing, they use it. And since the way they use their iPhones is pretty much the same, there's no real need for a wholesale change in UI. Nor would Apple be likely to pander to a vociferous few amongst their customer base and put the UI through a wholesale redesign that they don't think the majority of ordinary users would much need.

What changes 4.0 will bring would, I think, be much more tailored towards the new features and resources added into the iPhone since the first model, and be specifically intended to extend the ease of use factor into the growing complexity of the device. Better organisation and access to apps, perhaps, along with improvements made possible by a better hardware platform.

There's nothing much wrong with the iPhone's UI, and in the context of a mobile device operated by touch, much that is right with it.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
They don't look at the thing, they use it.

Ah, that must be why ugly colored smashed up cars are the typical cars you see on the road, right? To USE it they must constantly LOOK at it and when you look at the same thing year after year, it begins to look dated. Welcome to the real world, people do care about aesthetics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.