Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boy Genius Report claims to have received information from a source regarding iPhone OS 4.0, which is rumored to be introduced at next week's media event in San Francisco. According to the source, iPhone OS 4.0 will be limited to the iPhone 3G and 3GS (presumably including at least more recent iPod touch models and omitting the original iPhone) and will incorporate solutions for multitasking by running applications in the background and a revamped user interface for easier navigation.
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- "A few new ways" to run applications in the background -- multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven't had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will "put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers" more than any other phone to date. Everyone is "really excited."
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
The ability to run iPhone applications in the background has been near the top of many users' wish lists, but Apple has yet to implement full backgrounding and multitasking due to its effect on performance and battery life, instead opting to deploy push notifications as a means for closed applications to serve data to users. The expansion of the ability to run applications in the background beyond those few specified by Apple has been a relatively common theme, with multiple [url="https://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/15/more-rumors-of-limited-third-party-background-apps-coming-to-the-iphone/"]reports suggesting that Apple has been working on ways to deploy the functionality in at least a limited sense, although many expected such developments to be included in iPhone OS 3.0 last year.

Article Link: iPhone OS 4.0 Claimed to Include Multitasking, Revamped Interface

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
This is great news. Now how about a new physical iPhone to go along with it...

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
very exciting...I dont mind the user interface as it is now. so i can only imagine how it can be improved.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Sounds good to me...guess Palm will have to find a new angle other than "ours can do two things at once" after this comes out :)

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Sounds good to me. I am thinking 4.0 will run fine on the 3GS but might have some problems on the 3G. I doubt that will be a problem however because 4.0 probably comes out at the same time as the next generation iPhone.

cgrier

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
i wonder if it will have any iphone 4g only features (lets hope). Like ichat...

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
No iPhone 2G

Not that it impacts me, but I guess there's yet another way to prod iPhone 2G users to upgrade...

I'm still on 3.0.1 to keep my ability to tether... This may be just enough to sway me into upgrading... We shall see. Hopefully someone can find a way to crack open the tethering option in 4.0.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I was wondering how far they could push the software before they had to start segmenting the models. The current iPhone is so much faster the original that to try and use the same OS going forward must have be a headache for Apple.

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
where's my iPod touch Radio App? lol

tbh, i think it is about time for a UI change anyway

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
Nothing I really didn't expect to be rumored... To be honest, I'm dubious of a new iPhone OS at this expo, isn't it a bit early? I do recognize the fact that 3.0 was more of an incremental update but still, an "iSlate" and a new OS seems like a bit much for one event... But who knows, maybe Apple will surprise us! :D

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I don't think anyone can complain about Apple finally deciding to cut the cord on OG updates. It will have been almost 3 years by the time 4.0 ships.

MACWhite

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Nothing I really didn't expect to be rumored... To be honest, I'm dubious of a new iPhone OS at this expo, isn't it a bit early? I do recognize the fact that 3.0 was more of an incremental update but still, an "iSlate" and a new OS seems like a bit much for one event... But who knows, maybe Apple will surprise us! :D

after the music event last year where the iPod touch never recieved a camera, im not expecting much.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Mobile Me already has a great push sync for contacts and calenders, what else could make it more efficient?

That's is the only rumor I challenge.

Beside that everything else is a welcomed change, bring on the new APIs for us Developers! I pray Tablet runs a "lite" version of XCode.

iDisk

:apple:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
very exciting...I dont mind the user interface as it is now. so i can only imagine how it can be improved.

I'd love to see folders, so I could have my main screen have folders for games, a folder for I.M. Apps, a folder for internet shortcuts, Media apps, and whatever else I want. Swiping through a bunch of screens feels cumbersome at times.

I'm excited about multitasking, but I hope the user can designate what apps are allowed to, and which are not, I don't want a bunch of background daemons/apps making my whole phone feel slower.

i wonder if it will have any iphone 4g only features (lets hope). Like ichat...
I'd hope that this would include iPhone 3Gs, and any phone with the hardware that could handle it over WiFi.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I predicted this more than a year ago! :D I am SOOOOOOOO EXCITED for next Wednesday!!!

Oh, and the original iPhone being excluded is acceptable I think. Apple has done a very good job of keeping the platform consistent thus far, but there is only so much they can do when the original iPhones hardware is already quite dated. The new iPhone this summer is going to be SICK with custom ARM chip, new graphics, higher res screen, better audio, more storage, more RAM, RFID sensor, better camera & LED flash, AND iPhone OS 4.0! WOW I can't wait to upgrade from my 3G! :cool:

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
3G and not the original?

Unless I am missing something...

From a technical standpoint, there is no reason 4.0 should be available for the 3G and not for the original iPhone. They have the same processor and RAM. And unless they reduce the amount of RAM that the OS uses, I also doubt that it will work on the 3G. It has a difficult enough time running third party apps if you have Safari or iPod loaded in the background.

However, from a bottom line standpoint, Apple might have decided that the original iPhone is no longer worth developing for because everyone should have upgraded by now. Even if it is just a few tweaks for lack of GPS, slower data rate, etc.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Hopefully the inclusion of the ability to multi task will make sat nav apps usable on the iPhone for the first time. Personally I couldn't cope with driving about and having to chose between either using the phone or the sat nav function, and not being able to use both.

This might make me finally upgrade from my first gen iPhone! :eek:

I'm still not enthused by the iSlate though, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. If i can't use sites like rapid share, unzip e mail attachments, unrar files etc, and use apps like VLC player, this wont be the device for me

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Unless I am missing something...

From a technical standpoint, there is no reason 4.0 should be available for the 3G and not for the original iPhone. They have the same processor and RAM. And unless they reduce the amount of RAM that the OS uses, I also doubt that it will work on the 3G. It has a difficult enough time running third party apps if you have Safari or iPod loaded in the background.

However, from a bottom line standpoint, Apple might have decided that the original iPhone is no longer worth developing for because everyone should have upgraded by now. Even if it is just a few tweaks for lack of GPS, slower data rate, etc.

And it begins...

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
A uni-body construction with larger battery makes such a proposition quite feasible for a tablet. The biggest question is how this will scale to the iPhone without reducing already poor performance.

Could they take a page from the new quad-core iMac and power down between keystrokes or will consumers need to pay for a battery upgrade?

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia

I guess 4.0 will be launched as the iSlate's OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.