Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakalwe.

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
So does the fact that the OS is free for ipod touch users prove that charging for OS 2 and 3 because of "accounting issues" is BS? :rolleyes:

I have a funny feeling that iOS 4 being free for all & it being the launch vehicle for iAds are not unrelated !

After all; who wants to pay for more spam ?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I have a funny feeling that iOS 4 being free for all & it being the launch vehicle for iAds are not unrelated !

After all; who wants to pay for more spam ?

You do realize it's an ad framework for developers to use in their apps, like AdMob, right? There won't be any ads in Mail, iPod, during calls, etc.

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
on the apple site:
"
Compatibility
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
"
(http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/)

I don't see iPod Touch listed there. And I'm guessing we won't see a new iPod Touch model either. I had been hoping to get an updated (cousin-of-the-iPhone 4 iPod Touch this summer with the back to school special.)

cue the price is right fail music.

the Ipod touch update is in september. you can't get it with the special because the backtoschool special ENDS when the new ipods begin.

I have several questions of my own:
1.Will the free update be available internationally?

2. what i want to know is more about the video chat over wifi, if the new update to ipod touch comes with camera would you be able to use video calling as well? (noting that it only works over wifi on the iphone, suggesting it doesn't need att at all?)
Confused. somebody that knows more about this issue?

3. And I believe that some of iOS4 features won't work on 2nd and 3rd ipod touches, right? (like multitasking) but which ones will work?

juice78

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
Baltimore, MD
the Ipod touch update is in september. you can't get it with the special because the backtoschool special ENDS when the new ipods begin.

I have several questions of my own:
1.Will the free update be available internationally?

2. what i want to know is more about the video chat over wifi, if the new update to ipod touch comes with camera would you be able to use video calling as well? (noting that it only works over wifi on the iphone, suggesting it doesn't need att at all?)
Confused. somebody that knows more about this issue?

3. And I believe that some of iOS4 features won't work on 2nd and 3rd ipod touches, right? (like multitasking) but which ones will work?

2. I think I read/heard during the keynote that at&t is needed to make the call while wifi is needed to transport the video. otherwise, this would just be apple's version of skype, but free.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
on the apple site:
"
Compatibility
iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
"
(http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/)

I don't see iPod Touch listed there. And I'm guessing we won't see a new iPod Touch model either. I had been hoping to get an updated (cousin-of-the-iPhone 4 iPod Touch this summer with the back to school special.)

cue the price is right fail music.

Of course it may help if you look at the IPOD TOUCH PAGE!

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

Seriously, why would you expect the iPhone page to give compatibility with the iPod Touch?

As for the new iPod Touch, those always come in September / October along with the rest of the iPod range. This is not news and anyone expecting to see a new model today hasn't been paying attention.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I love the iPhone/iPad/iPod and I am very much looking forward to iOS 4 but am I the only person that feels like the Apple WWDC is turning into the iPhone WWDC ?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder how much they will pay (or have paid) Cisco for the iOS trademark.

I doubt just having the i in lowercase is different enough for trademarks.

I love the iPhone/iPad/iPod and I am very much looking forward to iOS 4 but am I the only person that feels like the Apple WWDC is turning into the iPhone WWDC ?

Pretty much, but then they pretty much indicated this year was mostly going to be iPhone OS oriented.

juice78

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Of course it may help if you look at the IPOD TOUCH PAGE!

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

Seriously, why would you expect the iPhone page to give compatibility with the iPod Touch?

As for the new iPod Touch, those always come in September / October along with the rest of the iPod range. This is not news and anyone expecting to see a new model today hasn't been paying attention.

1. I looked at the iOS 4 page (American site), didn't notice it was specific to iPhone.

2. I expect an iPod Touch earlier because according to this page (https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_touch) it is 26 days beyond its average days-to-update range.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

If they plan a front-facing camera on the new iPod Touch, and if the Facetime standard is meant to work in a WiFi-only configuration. I got the impression the call setup and audio go over the voice network and video is simulcast via IP on the WiFi.

But it would seem silly if the standard didn't have a full IP mode.

gazonk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
Ios?

I wonder if they made a deal with Cisco before using their trademark name this time?

DifferentialApp

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
IMO, if you don't have a third gen ipod touch or a 3gs iphone, 4.0 stinks.

there are no good features for the ipod touch 2nd gen and the iphone 3g.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
my guess is that they changed the accounting of the ipod touch so they could get iAds on them. Apple keeps 40% of the revenue on all iAd marketing. I bet that they would rather have that marketing revenue then the $10 per device upgrade for the OS.

BigGarb

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Upgrade OS before phone upgrade

I am planning on upgrading to the iPhone 4. Do I need to upgrade to iOS4 on my iPhone 3g before transferring to the new iPhone 4?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am planning on upgrading to the iPhone 4. Do I need to upgrade to iOS4 on my iPhone 3g before transferring to the new iPhone 4?

No, but since the os will be out before the new phone, why not upgrade anyway?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple copies cisco - ROUND 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

ahhahahah

I can't quite see what you find funny about it, but "round 2" is long over already. Cisco has licensed its "IOS" trademark to Apple. None of the technology is licensed, which should be no problem for Apple as long as they don't want to go massively into the market for routers.

I wonder if they made a deal with Cisco before using their trademark name this time?

Yes. http://www.pcworld.com/article/198203/with_ios_apple_gets_the_ok_to_borrow_a_cisco_name.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.