iPhone Photogs rejoice - HDR comes to 4.1!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah. Im really happy about that. Makes the already great photo abilities of the iPhone 4 even better. Very nice addition :)

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I think this is a cool technology. Surprised Ive never heard of it.

Its mostly for skies right?

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No - it's for any scenario where you have bright light and also shadows where you want a photo to show details of both without under or over exposing

4. jonhcox macrumors regular

Yup. This is going to be fantastic. I am really enjoying the camera on my iP4.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The camera is already great. Can't wait for this update!

6. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

awesome!

i have said this before, i use my i4 cam more than my Leica M9. its just insanity ;)

8. MrMinor macrumors 6502

9. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. I use my iP4 cam more than my Nikon D70S or my Canon S90 (which I had just bought a few months prior). The quality is not quite as good as the other cameras, but it is pretty damn good and the convenience plus the quality outweighs me lugging my other cameras around most of the rest of the time. For serious photo shoots I will still take my other cameras, but for the average day out it is iP4 all the way. HDR just makes it that much better.

10. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

don't get me wrong there is no way a i4 can ever compete with a "real" cam but with the amount of apps and the convenience it just makes it "fun". Granted there is no "real" optical zoom and yeah its no 18mp... but its fun for sure. HDR makes it even cooler. :p

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I was concerned for some app developers like PRO HDR because this obviously will affect sales. But then I realized I will probably still use PRO HDR because it also has image adjustment aspects to it. The native HDR won't have any "adjustments" - so it's great for quick shooting.. but to have more control, you'll want to use an app

12. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

well if you want to sell me that M9, i'm in the market!
    But I hear ya. my iphone is with me everywhere so i'm inclined to take snapshots with it anywhere. plus the post processing apps make everything so simple. now i basically use my s90 when i plan on taking a lot of pictures or am going out at night and my 5D2 is for when i want to go out and take photographs or have a gig. 30D hasn't been used in forever. looking at picking up an M8.2.

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I still feel bad for them. The "adjustments" you refer to are simply Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Warmth, and Tint... adjustments that dozens of apps are capable of manipulating.

Apple's 3 photo merge is the better technical solution, though, so that's something to be excited about.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

it's possible that an App could use Apple's native HDR and then also offer adjustments. And with 3 photos being taken, perhaps even more control over overall picture "tone"

15. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Perhaps, but you've just described any number of generic photo editors that already currently exist. I was just pointing out that ProHDR has no magical adjustments that alter the HDR composure in any way. You can perform some adjustments on the final image result, but there are many apps that are far better at controlling those adjustments.

As of 4.1, ProHDR has no real reason to exist unless Apple botches their implementation.

16. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

there are already several apps in the store that do that. think apple's will be better?

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not arguing - just playing devils advocate.

Apple's native app will just take a picture.
    Other apps will take the picture (same result if access to the same API of 3 shots) + offer some editing features.

So there is a market since some people will like to shoot and edit all in one and then share vs doing multiple steps in different apps.

The sharing is also key here - since the native app doesn't look like it upload direct to facebook, twitter, etc.

So there's still a market (I think) albeit a smaller one

18. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have a stupid question about the Apple TV. SJ announced HD movies and shows. Now I haven't seen a Blu-Ray tv show but will the Apple TV show Blu-Ray movies? He said HD but I figured if it had the ability for Blu-Ray, he would have said so proudly.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. Apple TV is a media server - it has no storage nor any playback internals (no cd, dvd or blu-ray)

Apple TV will appeal to the masses. But they don't realize that they aren't really getting HD content. Oh - sure - the picture is the spec of HD.. but the bitrate will never match what you get on Blu-Ray.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple's apps/functions usually are not. Just take a look at any camera, notes, or calenda app. Even try to compare Safari Mobile to iCab or Atomic Browser. You really can't.

21. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Then I will hold off on the Apple TV. Never appealed to me in the first place and it doesn't now.

22. punkbuy macrumors newbie

does iOS 4.1 or this HDR thing solve the white balance issue?

23. Hemmo macrumors regular

Hdr?have i missed something? I love hdrs i have been shooting hdrs for few years with my dslr using photomatix etc..but what is this a about there is allready some hdr shooting apps for iphone.meaby i should watch apple press conference?