iPhone Questions for Early Adopters

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arn, Jun 29, 2007.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Website Compatiblity

Meebo.com
    MacRumors.com
    Google Spreadsheet
    Google Docs
    How does it (not) handle Flash?
    Any other websites?

General Feel/Use

Other language options?
    Stable? any crashes?
    Startup time?
    Instalock work? does it easily get triggered?
    Can keychains be synced with your Mac?
    Screen seem scratchable?
    Speaker quality?
    Background noise with headphones/mic?
    How is using the virtual keyboard?
    How was the installation experience with importing all the stuff
    How easy is it to set up mail, contacts etc.
    Do you have any scratches or smudges yet?
    How's the screen in the sun?
    How good is the multitouch?
    Does it support foreign language SMS, email and webpage?
    Can the keyboard switch between qwerty and alpha numeric when typing? like on the wii?

Network

EDGE bearable? Benchmarks?
    Which WIFI Encryption is supported?
    How well does it find signals?
    For the super fast cell phone texters, can the keypad keep up with quick presses of keys, or is there a laggy delay before the input is displayed? If you've ever used a Motorola Razr, you're familiar with this lagginess.
    Exchange support?
    Zoom algorithm in Safari?
    Can you save websites for later view?
    Left or right hand issues?

Form Factor

How does it feel in your hands, slippery, easily droppable?
    Interface?
    Can you input text in landscape mode? (only in safari)

Comparisons

If you had service higher in oomph than EDGE (like 3g), can you say how slow it is in comparison? Jump off a building level, or tolerable?

Battery

How long does it take to charge?
    How is battery life?
    How much does it drain battery life if your mail is checking every 5 minutes?

Accessories

Does the iPhone offer compatibility with Nike + iPod?
    Handsfree kit work?
    Usable under an invisibileShield or other screen protector?
    Voice headset?
    Speakers?
    Does the iPhone's Bluetooth support A2DP? - for stereo bluetooth headphones?
    Dock, Car Adapter?
    Bluetooth kb or mouse?
    Other accessories?

Data / Sync

Can the iPhone data connection settings be modified so that it can be connected to other mobile service provider?
    Does the iPhone work as a regular wireless modem (just like my current Nokia 6350 does)? i.e. can I connect to the iPhone via bluetooth and browse the web on my MBP?
    Dial Up Networking?
    Can you download files?
    Sync over internet via .Mac?
    Bonjour support?
    Can you access other computers on the wifi network?
    Sync with Hotmail?
    How does Notes sync? Where to?
    Can you download/sync voicemail?

Documents

What attachments can mail display?
    Can it read/display PDF documents?

Music

Can you listen to music on speaker?

Calendar/Alarm

Data Entry?
    Can one set repeating alarms?
    - And for weekdays only?

Financial / Contract

Are you contractually obligated to features or a particular plan, or can they be changed whenever?
    Will Apple Care be available as insurance against damage. If so, how much will it cost?
    Any insurance?
    Did you get any discounts like military, student, or employer discounts? (And if so, how much and what employer, as well as what proof did they require?)
    Which additional features (text messaging, if not included, data plan if separate and optional, insurance if offered, etc) did you choose?

Tweaking

How much free space is there on 4GB or 8GB?
    Can you turn the accelerometer off?
    Video out through the headphone jack?
    Can you use iPhone as bluetooth remote?
    Can it Print?
    Terminal? SSH?
    Will it boot without the SIM card? any functionality?
    Can you record phone conversations?

2. natallica macrumors 6502

I'd like to know about the push e-mail and how well it works. I can't abandon my BlackBerry until I know that I can still get my business e-mail right away.

Thanks and I'm jealous of all of you early adopters! :)

-- N

:apple:

3. hob macrumors 68020

hob

What happens with GMail? Do you have to go through the web browser or does it integrate properly into the email client?

Cheers :)

4. Project macrumors 68020

does read/unread status of emails in the Mail app sync with those on Mail.app? Or do they work in silo?

5. B2O macrumors newbie

gmail allows the use of pop3 so any email client capable of this functionality will be gmail compatible, including the iphone.

6. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

How is SMS on it?
    Because I see that you have to change the keyboard to do a punctionation...which seems a little silly. :rolleyes:

7. tyronesmith macrumors newbie

Please test!!

First of all congrats to the early adopters!!

Anyway, I would love to get the phone but before I jump on the boat, I would like to make sure it displays Japanese text fine.
    Could you someone try and access the any of the following sites and see if iPhone displays Japanese text.

http://www.asahi.com
    http://www.yahoo.co.jp

Also, I have heard A2DP support for Bluetooth is crippled. I would like to see if that is true.

8. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I'd like to know if there's any form of file management or a file explorer, some sort of Finder.

Also, I wonder how it handles languages other than English. I'm particularly interested in Arabic, so can someone post a photo of this website, which tests unicode support in web browsers:

http://www.madore.org/~david/misc/unitest/

9. lilmoonee macrumors newbie

What does it do/display when a non AT&T SIM card is inserted (eg is there an option to put an unlock code in?)

thanks guys...have fun with your new toy!

10. myjellyass macrumors regular

Guys, you've already had a chance to contribute questions. Any chance we could keep this space for answering the above questions rather than turning it into a big brawl with people throwing questions around cluelessly? Thanks.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Nobody can tell you guys anything yet. It seems everyone is waiting for activation to pass first -- you can't use anything on the phone until activation is complete (could take 6 hours).

It's killing me.....sitting right here and i can't really use it yet!

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This was known from the start.....to access ANY of iPhone's features, you have to get it activated by AT&T.

13. Number41 macrumors newbie

Once activated, does it need the SIM card in there again to use the other features? Can I take out the SIM card and use it as an iPod?

14. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

This is getting ridiculous. Stop getting off topic with your posting! The only posts on this page should be answers to the questions. And if you didn't do your iPhone research, please don't ask questions we already know the answer to! Just don't post unless your answering a question!

I'm sorry, I'm a little stressed out right now. I'm very worried that the Apple Online Store will sell out before I can order the iPhone! It's killing me I'm not near an Apple store or cingular store! The nearest is 450 miles away!

15. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Meebo loads and seems to work, but I can't figure out how to "send" a message. note, I haven't read the instructions yet. :)

macrumors and forums render well.

loading gmail now

arn

16. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

17. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Caller ID

When someone calls you from a different area code does it show where they're calling from (ex. state name or city name, state name)? I know Sprint has a feature like that.

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

No it won't let you.
    I just put in my old sim card and the screen still shows that you need to activate it through iTunes.

Sorry

19. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

That's a very mixed review...would you say the iPhone is worth buying now, or should you wait till version 2?

20. texasmafia macrumors member

texasmafia

I'm in a hurry to go eat with some friends but I have an iPhone in my hand and it is AMAZING!!! I'll answer more questions later but my first impression is that it meets and even surpasses my expectations.

21. Nall macrumors regular

A note on this. At the local store, atleast for existing Cingular customers, you just paid for the phone and they'd ship it to you. You didn't do anything with a plan instore, but apparently your 2 year contract gets reset. Doesn't matter if you just bought a subsidized phone 3 days ago.

Hey, some of us have questions that may be relevant to our day-to-day use. A lot of details up to this point haven't been verified, and the APPLE EMPLOYEE at the local AT&T couldn't answer any of my questions except one about the SIM card, and apparently his answer (that the SIM card is not removable) is DEAD wrong.

22. MobyIck macrumors member

Car Bluetooth?

What I wan't to know is will it link with my infiniti G35 Bluetooth car interface. I would really hate to go back to that stupid earpiece....

23. mrrory macrumors regular

mrrory

Just trying to clarify a few things...

These are points I picked up on from a brief look at AT&Ts documentation...

Firstly does this not suggest that using the YouTube function of the iPhone is not allowed, or considered fair use as part of the unlimited data plan...

Secondly:
    This seems like a remarkably small size restriction to have on messaging. On my sidekick, I quite often send emails with picture attachments that are upwards of 1MB.

Thirdly:
    Is this a way of buying an iPhone and not having to be under contract from AT&T. Of course, the "phone" part of it wouldn't work, but would it still work as an internet device on WiFi?

I guess I'm only looking closely at this because of bad experiences with Cingular in the past. Their hidden charges cost me a fortune on several occasions, and I am now much happier with T-Mobile, and my Sidekick 3 over this last year. My dilemma now of course is that I want an iPhone. Should I make the leap back to AT&T to get one though?

24. Nall macrumors regular

I hate to post again, but if anyone can switch the SIM card to another phone, is data accessible on the other phone?

mrrory: Which documentation are you looking at?