Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BUFFBOY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Sydney
hey guys, just thinking does your iPhone screen look small now since there are other phones out there with bigger screens ?

i kinder want a bigger screen iPhone 5 hahaha

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
bigger screen = bigger phone. at the end of the day it is a phone and as nice a a bigger screen might be to look it, my pockets are only so big.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I really like the iPhones I've had. In addition there are other smartphones I enjoy using. If Apple offered the now very popular 4.0" or 4.3" display, like my EVO, Droid X, and Galaxy S have, I'd use my iPhone 4 as my primary smartphone.

Once you use a larger display, the 3.5" iPhone display does feel tiny when responding to emails & forums. I use smartphones quite extensively and greatly prefer a larger display. The argument that many use "it'll make the phone too big" fail to give Apple credit for their design capabilities. Apple could build one with an awesome 4.5" display and keep it relatively small, more so than any other company. It's a fact.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
cool blog post bro

you could have.. you know search and added your comment to the already existing poll threads about this

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I would get a bigger iPhone (5) if Apple goes in that direction. It would be nice to have a slightly larger screen. I hear the next generation iPad is going to be smaller and if they release a larger iPhone there will be even less need to own both devices.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I had for 3 days a Samsung Vibrant and the screen was great.. I hope that Apple makes an iphone with a screen like that.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
My iPhone 4 screen seems really small after I use the iPad for awhile. (But so do the displays on every other smartphone.)

But the iPhone 4 fits in my pocket extremely nicely, so it's tiny screen will just have to do.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Yes its small. Compared to all the 4" screens its starting to look small. But the form factor still blows every other phone out. Its stillthe best screen and sexiest looking phone.

sirslaysalot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
while i think the iphone's screen is rather small as far as phones go, 3.7-3.8" is as large as the screen should be. all these 4.3" phones are approaching dimensions of tablets. and its kinda awkward holding that large a device to your head while making a call lol

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Looking at the iPhone 4 there is a small black border on the left and right next to the screen and a far larger one above and below it. It seems conceivable that Apple could increase the screen size without increasing the size of the phone at all. It looks like a 4" screen would fit.

I have an Evo and the screen on the iPhone does feel small to me. However it is extremely crisp and vibrant, I definitely prefer it over my Evo despite the screen size. I think the retina display at 4" would be stunning.

On a side note-How ironic. As I sit here and write this post, the iPhone 4 retina display commercial comes on. I haven't seen that commercial in weeks.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I must've missed the memo when did 3.7-4.3" screens become par for course. I like the display as is but i wouldn't mind a bigger screen as long as the form factor size stays ABSOLUTELY the same, or even better, becomes smaller. If bigger screen = bigger phone then thanks but no thanks.

Its a phone not a mini tablet. There's the Dell Streak for that if you're interested.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I would say its a phone and a mini tablet. 3.5" is fine but an extra half an inch really does make a big difference when things are this small to begin with.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I would say its a phone and a mini tablet. 3.5" is fine but an extra half an inch really does make a big difference when things are this small to begin with.

I have to agree. I have been using the Evo for 5 months since it launched. For a few weeks I had a Samsung Epic that has a 4" screen. The difference between the 4.3" screen on my Evo and the 4" screen on the Epic was minimal. If the iPhone would increase to 4" it would be a huge difference over the current screen size.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I think it's fine, because a bigger screen means a bigger phone. Right now the iPhone is just right.
If you want a bigger screen estate, consider the iPad.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I have to agree. I have been using the Evo for 5 months since it launched. For a few weeks I had a Samsung Epic that has a 4" screen. The difference between the 4.3" screen on my Evo and the 4" screen on the Epic was minimal. If the iPhone would increase to 4" it would be a huge difference over the current screen size.

Is the Samsung Epic the same as the Captivate? Over here its called the Samsung Galaxy S and i first saw one in a phone shop lined up next to the iPhone 4. The difference that extra half an inch made to the screen size was very apparent.

Fortun

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
I think that the size is perfect, big screen big phone, and for me ... the size of the iphone is perfect

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
cool blog post bro

you could have.. you know search and added your comment to the already existing poll threads about this

And you could have actually contributed to the discussion rather than simply putting someone down.

I've always found it funny how for the longest time it was all about phones getting smaller and more compact ( think "Zoolander" ). I actually remember being convinced to buy a phone back in 2000, the selling point was "It's as think as 5 credit cards". I was stoked. Now we're trying to go the opposite direction - BIGGER SCREEN! I personally believe that the iPhone screen is the perfect size - but everyone has different tastes. I'd rather just buy an iPad if I want to go bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.