iPhone SE 2 Again Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 22, 2017.

1. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

The design falls in the category of, if it ain't broke don't fix it. You, of course, think it is broken but millions who buy it think otherwise.
    Yes, people love change for the sake of change. And they can get that change in Apple's newest phones. The SE is the best $350 smartphone on the market. If you don't think so, what is a better phone for the money? If you want rounded slippery, Apple will happily sell you that for twice the price of the SE. You write like you would buy the SE if Apple would only do some updating that you don't identify. You come across complaining for the sake of complaining. That is your choice of course, it just seems like a waste especially when you have no interesting in buying the product. You don't like camera bumps. SE has your back. Still, you give no love to the best 4 inch phone. One more time, what's your "best" smartphone on the market claim?

2. 0007776 Suspended

I would love that. I got to play with the iPhone X in an Apple Store this week, and I liked it a lot more than I expected to, but the size was just awkward. An SE form factor with a bezel less screen would be perfect.

3. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Right. Put the iP7 and it's 4.7" display in a bezeless case and you've basically got the SE. The 5.5" X is basically the Plus shrunk down to the existing 4.7" iP7, which allows them to offer a new Plus-sized bezeless phone in the 6.3" range that's no bigger than the current Plus.

The existing SE sticks around to be the $200 budget phone with a processor upgrade to keep the experience optimal.

4. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

I’ve asked several times in several posts about why a bezelless screen is so important, and have yet to get an answer. As reported by others, I fear too much the issue of not being able to hold securely a shape that’s already too slippery from rounded edges without blocking parts of the screen, and I use a case to address the iPhone’s design flaw of durability so I question the ability to adequately swipe from offscreen as the iPhone is pressed to do more and more via gestures, so I for one am not for a bezelless design. Can I ask: Is the goal more to see as much screen as possible in as small a footprint as possible, or is it purely a design/aesthetic thing, wanting to basically see the equivalent of a frameless painting on the wall? This seriously a real question.

5. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Larger screen in the same dimensions.

6. trumptman macrumors newbie

trumptman

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed that the SE2 should be more classic or as it is now in terms of design while also getting upgraded internals. I understand the future is Face ID etc and we should all love exactly whatever makes the iPhone X the iPhone X but that isn't what the SE is about.

In fact it is really clear that for many folks, a large smartphone has become their first and perhaps only computer. Most people aren't writing papers or so on that would even require a laptop. For most students even a Chromebook is powerful enough. So a very expensive iPhone X might be justified when it is your computer for all purposes and reasons. However for me, my smartphone is still my smartphone and I don't need a boutique and pricey experience on that one device since it is one of several I will use. I'm on an iPhone 7 now and returned my X. If the SE 2 with upgraded internals gave two day battery life due to the smaller screen I might be all over it. Over the last few generations of iOS and phones I've been turning off most of the "new"features. I'm a 47 year old man. I don't need sticker packs, animojis, and I'd rather have two days no charging than thicker and wireless charging.

7. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Thanks! First one to answer. I take it you don’t use a case?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2017 ---
    Did your jaw drop to the ground like mine did when watching the keynote featuring Apple execs fawning over Animoji‘s?

8. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Except a 4.7” phone isn’t the 4.0” phone that people who buy the SE based on size (not price) want. Reachability would be affected, with the diagonal corners being harder to reach in one handed use. And it can’t be bezelless, even with FaceID instead of TouchID. So it would have to at least be taller than the current SE, even if no wider.

With a new LCD panel, FaceID, an A11 and a redesign, this new phone would probably push past iPhone 8 pricing; how well would it sell at $749-799?

Also, the current SE with a processor refresh wouldn’t drop from $350 to $200. It may drop $20-30 but even that would probably reduce Apple’s margins.

9. 0007776 Suspended

For me the desire would be to have a larger screen while having easy one handed use.

10. smacrumon, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Why make iPhone SE harder to hold with square corners if rounded corners are easier to hold? Wouldn't we want to make iPhone SE easier to hold too?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2017 ---
    No change over a year. He's a good ambassador, but when it comes to design compromises, Tim allows them through, unlike Steve.
    Not museum quality. The plus and minus indicators, geez, those buttons that don't just serve as volume control. Those round buttons are so silly and not refined. See #389
    $199 for a new 4-inch design. $349 is a rip off for a 5 year old design.

11. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

My experience with my 5s and the 6S+ is that the chamfered edges still feel best in my hand. The curved edges feel less comfortable.

So my conclusion is that for a smaller phone, square corners are better than rounded edges. On a larger phone, rounded edges fit better in your hand than square edges.

12. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

iOS 7 is one of the most amazing interfaces, certainly a maturing of the design. It was a good way forward.
    Maybe what is actually needed for volume is a single rounded rectangle rocker, without the +/-.

[​IMG]
    via https://www.behance.net/gallery/20454249/iPhone-EDITION

13. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

I'm with Abazigal, on the smaller SE, I also find the chamferred/square shape easier to handle.
    As to the one switch/button vs three, I disagree. When I went to the 6S, I found that the moving of the sleep/SD button was always being toggled instead of the volume buttons. The Position of the buttons on the SE seperates them so there is no confusion as to which button is being pushed/switched/toggled. Minimizing the number of buttons by complicating the one replacement control is NOT simplification. It means you have to stop and pay attention to how you are manipulating the control. The old way is actually simpler.
    And I have to ask, what is "museum quality and why do I want it? Personally, I want to operate my device, not put in on display.
    So again, we find ourselves diametrically opposed.

14. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

Regardless of whether you feel that way, a $199 iPhone with a new design is not going to happen.

15. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Completely disagree. A single button is MUCH easier in this case - rock up to volume up, rock down to volume down, slide to mute. There is not anything more simpler in visual design AND ease of use.
    For some, once Apple does it, then it will be accepted as the best solution. I'm here stating it is best now.
    Imagine if it did.

16. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Why?

17. Tozovac, Nov 27, 2017

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Did you find it fixed some broken aspects of the UI before iOS 7, or do you just like the iOS 7-11 aesthetics and interface more?
    Since you capitalized the word MUCH: how much harder for you was the 3-button method to use? And did you use a case when seeing any issue? Or is it mostly that the clean design just appeals to you more? Serious questions, not trolling.

As one of the minority who uses a case to address the iPhone’s fragility design flaw, and with bezel-less designs meaning that sides of cases will need to be even thicker to offer useful protection while allowing swiping from off-screen, I question whether a 1-button design will result in even more frequent unintentional volume changes and/or mutings when reaching in with a finger to work it in a thicker case’s side opening.

Until I try it, it would seem to me that in general a 3-button system would be more robust against inadvertent actuations than a one-button, especially for those of us who use a case. But I’d want to try it first.

Seems the biggest issue causing operability issues with a 1 or 3 button system is Apple’s utter blindness and apathy towards acknowledging that many actually use a case, instead appealing first and foremost to the marketers, minimalists, and super Apple fans.

18. trumptman macrumors newbie

trumptman

It's simply about space. Straight up and down gets you more space and on a smaller design that space counts. Look at how the iPhone X got a bit thicker than either the 8 or 8+. (7.7 MM vs 7.5 or 7.3MM) At some point you run out or room. They also had to use a folded motherboard and jointed batter to make room.

Rounded corners would require more room on a phone that is already very tiny by most modern standards.

19. Legionnaire Suspended

To everyone saying iphone 5/SE is 5 years old. Yeah, but whats wrong with that? I literally have stayed with that design for this long. I used 5s for 4 years, and SE for a year and I will buy an SE 2 with same exact looks if it came out. I for one hate anything larger than this phone. Whats the point of having a tablet in your pocket? I just cant get behind it. I for one hope they keep these small phones forever. I never want to upgrade to a larger phone.

20. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Toyota Prius is a 1997 car - you'd still be lame if you drove it. Have to be driving a Tesla Model S, X, or 3 to not be lame.
    Nope - I'm definitely not one of those people. I'm still happily using my 6+ and don't plan on replacing it for at least 9 months.

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68010

chucker23n1

iPhone sales are doing fine. For a price cut from $349 to $199 to make sense, sales of the SE would simultaneously have to rise at least that much — i.e. more than 75%.

22. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

You're just being silly, there are 4 years worth of additions to the iPhone lineup in the iPhone X over the iPhone SE (everything from 6s onward). I see women with small hands using the iPhone X comfortably with no issue, including several former SE owners. The iPhone X includes wired headphones. And there is no such thing as "preferring" Touch ID.. There is nothing to "prefer". Face ID is simply better, and just gets out of your way and lets you use the phone without a deliberate repetitive action.

There is no argument here. The SE is an inferior phone where you are choosing price over everything else. That's why it exists. Don't delude yourself into thinking it exists to serve "people who want a 4" phone over every other technological advancement imaginable". That market doesn't exist, and its not why the SE exists.

23. Tozovac, Nov 27, 2017

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Are you serious or trolling?

Who are you to tell another user what works better for them, or that they’re buying solely on price?

And there very much can be a preference for Touch ID. I often have my phone pointed away from me when wanting to awake it, such as when I’m on a gig and the phone is nearby hard-mounted on my mic stand holder and not facing me. I dont want to have to turn off security to unlock it. I prefer having Touch ID. I very much prefer a headphone jack for when I wish to output into my or someone else’s mixing board at a gig where often I need to keep it plugged in to charge using an available lightning cable, but not wanting to carry around a splitter for charging and feeding audio to the board.

Those are just two examples of many where I prefer Touch ID & a headphone jack over Jony’s damn self-imposed minimalist design contest that’s slowly getting to be out of hand as it inches towards ridiculousness by minimizing physical buttons in favor of software.

Your mindset of assuming what’s best and easiest for customers by gearing down towards a specific UI or hardware feature across the board and with limited opportunity for user preference (if it’s real and not trolling) is one of Apple’s biggest issues and/or missed opportunities today imho, the other being allowing Jony Ive anywhere near software without an appropriate babysitter (Steve Jobs being the last effective one).

24. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

Lol.

Nope.

25. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Haha, I was thinking same thing. How about new dongles for calling, another for camera, and they could add iMessage on a stick. Oh the possibilities are endless. :)