iPhone SE 2 Again Rumored to Launch in First Half of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 22, 2017.

1. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

SE - A9, 2 GB RAM (six months after 6s)
    SE2 - A10, 2 GB RAM (18 months after 7)

Just get the SE for $99 today and read the comments on how to unlock it. SE2 won't age as well if it gets a 1.5 year old specs of the iPhone 7. SE3 in 2020 based on the X2 design and specs is the one to get.

Apple is easier to predict for me than who wins the next Kentucky Derby.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10899571-s...phone-99-free-shipping?page=6#commentsSection

^ SE comes with iOS 10.3.3

2. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Which makes me think it will be a spec bump SE with no external changes.

3. Tozovac, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

This is it.

Soon all iPhones will have a 2nd major design flaw (secure holdability) that will go oh so well with the fragile durability design flaw. Thanks to “genius designer” Jony Ive.

I bet the 3rd major design flaw to slowly creep in will be just an overall air of inconvenience and non-ease-of-use, as headphone jacks and physical buttons morph away... I’d be less surprised than more if, soon, physical ports will disappear in place of wireless charging, wireless updating, wireless headphones, etc. Anyone feel otherwise? :)

4. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

The iPhone SE is a budget phone. It’s the least expensive in Apple’s lineup. It is what it is. Quit trying to make it an iPhone 8 with a smaller display.

The iPhone 8 sells for $699 and reducing the size of the display slightly from 4.7” to 4.0” while cramming everything into a smaller body won’t cut the price in half.

And your ridiculous continued complaints about the SE name you consider “lazy” are ludicrous. No complaints about the naming of the iPhone 7? What about iPhone 8? You’re not right, and it’s gotten beyond boring.

Re: “artificially inflated price”, for $349 you get an excellent value if you want an iPhone. Things are worth what people will pay for them. Apple has sold tens of millions of iPhone SE, so it’s hardly overpriced. With an A10 and minimal other changes, I could even see a further price reduction to maybe $319-329, making it even more affordable.

A win for buyers and a win for Apple, and even something for haters to bitch about—truly a win for all :)

5. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

You mean the iPhone SE X?

6. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

$199 would be a price reduction on a 5 year old phone. $319 isn't.
    The iPhone SE is tired and old and missing some key technologies.
    The main issue is that Apple's line up is so fragmented compared to five years ago.
    There's such a messy mix and lack of coherence in the offering today.
    And because of that, the gloss on the Apple brand is gone.

7. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

You, just two days ago:

8. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Most of us here are fans of the SE me included. We all get that you think the SE is outdated, to expensive, tired, old, etc etc etc. What I don't get is why you stick around in a thread that is pretty obviously for fans of the SE. I do know that I have been even further convinced by this thread to buy a new SE2 or whatever it's going to be called because for me, everything else out there is overkill for how i use my phone.

9. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

No to protruding cameras and no to 5 year old rehashed product.
    That's a yes to a new 4 inch design and yes to a clean flush camera.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2017 ---
    I'm a fan of compact form factors, ie a 4-inch form. I think this could be a discussion about what a new 4-inch phone could be, not what else can be shoehorned on to a five year old iPhone 5 product. That's why I'm here.
    If it's just a memory upgrade and nothing much else, SE2 is not worth the upgrade.
    A new 4 inch design with clean flush camera module and all the current whiz technology is whats needed.

10. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

So you want a design that's four inches and thick enough to fit a camera.

…have you heard of the iPhone SE?

11. Martyimac, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Fair enough. Don't agree with your no's and your yes's don't impress me. The SE to me, ME, is perfect for how I use a smartphone. Obviously the SE isn't for you.
    But this does lead to another question, do you still have confidence in Tim Cook considering how you think Apple failed with the SE?

12. AZ63 macrumors 6502

AZ63

Obviously, the newest SE will have updated internals with a much loved design. The price will be far less than the flagship iPhone making it a wonderful phone choice at a great price with many of the wanted features in an Apple smartphone. A definite win for consumers wanting an iPhone and a win for Apple not having to R and D a phone to sell at a loss.
    Great news all around! A continued win for all.
    Finally, the iPhone Small Edition. A perfect name describing a product reaching out to those who don't want a phablet for a phone. Great news all around. Apple computers need a lot of work but the phones are hitting the sweet spot. Thumbs up.

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

1) The SE isn’t a 5 year old phone, it was introduced just last year and had the flagship processor at that time, which even today is only one generation behind. That alone justifies the $349 price. That you’d rather pay $199 is not relevant.

2) Keeping older models in the lineup is not “fragmentation.”

3) There is no “messy mix and lack of coherence in the offering today”. That’s only in your head and has no basis in reality.

14. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Really, given the same technical aspects, you would prefer a protruding camera rather than flush camera?
    Strangely I love your "ME" reference. iPhone ME.
    I think Tim Cook is good ambassador for the Apple brand. However, he isn't design focused and has passed though many design compromises whereas Steve Jobs did not.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2017 ---
    Why deny SE is old? iPhone SE is a 5 year old device, with a few updates along the way. It's certainly not new.
    "Flagship processor" with a whole bunch of old stuff more accurately. $199 is a fair and reasonable price for such a device.
    SE, 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X. All with different capabilities. That is a mess. It's too varied to be helpful to the development community and it's too confusing for the customer at this stage. It's not streamlined or simple.
    Nothing much changes from 2012 to 2017.
    Left to right: iPhone 5 2012, iPhone 5s 2014, iPhone SE 2016.

[​IMG]
    Much loved design? Sounds like Phil Schiller script to me. Not much loved anymore is more like it.
    SE design is old, it's dated, it's thoughtless. Apple needs to properly refresh the 4 inch line.
    iPhone SE hasn't really dropped iPhone pricing, but instead, other models around it 6, 7, 8, X have also increased iPhone pricing.
    Apple should be doing R and D and reviving their edge. iPhone SE is a clear acknowledgement that Apple can't make a compact 4 inch form factor iPhone anymore.
    It's a thumbs down on iPhone SE until a brand new replacement 4 inch is released.

15. smacrumon, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Get rid of those rounded volume buttons! That design aspect dates back to 2010 seen on iPhone 4! That's a 7 year old volume button design that was not elegant then and not elegant today IMO.
    Make them clean rounded rectangles! Please, Apple!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Damn the black/slate color 5/5s was gorgeous. If they make something like that in the next SE (or a Mac?) I will almost certainly consider (bearing in mind specs and price.)

17. Bacillus macrumors 68020

Bacillus

Expect The Notch to grow in size and importance - eventually protruding the screen.
    Such a brand statement deserves to precede the UI/UX...

18. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

What about those who would prefer that shape and feel of round volume buttons? I very much like their small shape that allows them to be closer to each other for more easy, quick up-and-down volume changes by wobbling my thumb.

With all due respect, that type of desire to have something new and different just to have something new different is what brought on that design mess of iOS 7, so please watch what you’re wishing for before Jony Ive removes buttons altogether in place of an LED panel on the side just so he can give a different shape every year (and further lessen the ease of utility of using an iPhone beyond what they’re doing now with headphone jacks, home button, etc.). Asking for something new and different in every nook and cranny is also a no-win situation in the long run: how many options are there for a useful, simple, and easy to use volume button before the pressure to provide something different results in something completely asinine, which is the hallmark of today’s Apple?

19. PickUrPoison, Nov 25, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Museum quality, utterly timeless design. Perfect to the touch, with satisfying feedback in both sound and touch. :)

Excellent photo of those absolutely beautiful round buttons; you are a talented photographer, even if your attempts at design critique are rather inexpert and unimaginative.

You’re really grasping at straws trying to find fault in this phone, aren’t you? Maybe time for a new hobby :rolleyes:
    You miss the entire point of the SE. It is a budget iPhone. It was never meant to be a new design, in fact just the opposite: Apple kept the price low by using an existing design, with updated internals.

And make no mistake, $349 is low. It’s not the $649 4.0” iPhone 8 that you are asking for. That you feel entitled to a $199 phone is not relevant.

Complain all you want, but Apple will continue to sell tens of millions of iPhone SE. Every year. To their target market, those that want an inexpensive (and/or the smallest) iPhone. I can understand how that must be utterly infuriating to someone who doesn’t understand the product, but Apple will somehow survive without selling one to you. :)

20. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

21. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

The design made sense for a 4" display. The iPhone 6 introduced larger displays, which is why the edges had to be rounded to make holding a larger phone easier. The chamfered edges no longer made sense in this context.

Makes sense to me.

22. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Hey! I actally agree with you fully here, and not just because it’s the season of relection and gentler times. :)

As someone who feels Apple thinks way, way, way too hard nowadays about fashion & marketing first over function (a very sad outcome of them becoming a bigger company), why don’t more smart people in their spaceship realize that you can iterate and redesign and reinvent only so much on small phone hardware and the phone/computer software before you’re slapping not only lipstick on a pig but also Botox lips, cheek and breast implants, etc. Maybe now is the time to be like Elaine in Seinfeld and stock up on spare SE’s and Macbooks still running Mavericks and with Magsafe, headphone jacks, and USB 3.0‘s....

23. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I'm giving serious consideration to the highlighted parts.

24. amegicfox, Nov 25, 2017

amegicfox macrumors 6502

amegicfox

The iPhone 5 to this day remains the best looking and best designed iPhone of all times. Apple should add hardware camera stabilization to it but again Tim and Ive are about frustrating customers no pleasing them so they will not do it.

They are relentlessly continuing planned obsolescence on all their products and they keep fighting the right to repair law.

All they want is for us to throw away functional phones and buy phones at higher prices, less features and features no one asked for. Disgusting!

some on this forum like to go and buy a phone without jack, without a port to charge it, a phone that needs your face to authenticate, a phone with warts on their backs, a slippery soap like phone, a phone with a notch in the middle of the screen, not us.

these people are indirectly paid by Apple to troll all day long, no one in their sane state of mind would put up with lunatic, incompetent, anti-convenience Tim Cook's Apple

25. gopo, Nov 25, 2017

gopo macrumors newbie

I think this says a lot (from CNBC, last year). Curious to see what will happen with a new 4": "Apple does it again: Stock climbs 6% as bet on iPhone SE pays off" https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/26/apple-reports-fy-third-quarter-earnings.html
    Tim Cook: "At its launch, we said the addition of the iPhone SE to the iPhone lineup placed us in a better position to meet the needs of customers who love a 4-inch phone, and to attract even more customers to our ecosystem". In my opinion, they pushed up the prices of the new iPhones in order to make place of the 4" in the iPhone lineup price range.