iPhone SE 2 Rumors Continue to Mount as LG Reportedly in Talks to Supply LCDs for Device

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG is in talks with Apple to supply LCD displays for the successor to the iPhone SE, with the panels currently undergoing last-minute quality checks, according to industry sources cited by Korean website The Elec. The report claims the budget device is scheduled to be released in early 2020.

Apple sticking with an LCD for the device would be no surprise given cost considerations, with previous reports claiming the so-called "iPhone SE 2" will sport a 4.7-inch display like the iPhone 8. This has disappointed some fans of the original iPhone SE, which has a smaller 4-inch display ideal for one-handed usage.

There have been several reports about the iPhone SE 2 in recent weeks. The most detailed information has come from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who expects the device to look similar to the iPhone 8, including thick bezels and a Touch ID home button, but with a faster A13 Bionic chip and 3GB of RAM.

Kuo also expects the device to come in Space Gray, Silver, and Red, with 64GB and 128GB storage options. Like the iPhone 11 lineup, the ?iPhone SE 2? is expected to ship without 3D Touch, which Apple has replaced with a software-based Haptic Touch solution. Kuo predicts pricing will start at $399 in the United States.

As we mentioned yesterday, ?iPhone SE 2? might not be the final name of the device, with iPhone 8s and iPhone 9 speculated as other possibilities. The device is expected to be released by the end of the first quarter of 2020.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Rumors Continue to Mount as LG Reportedly in Talks to Supply LCDs for Device

Reactions: Cape Dave

techfreak23

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
Budget phones are what killed 3D Touch in the first place, so no surprise they’re not going to add it to this one...

Reactions: Aston441

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
If anything has come out of the smartphone market. Big demand across a wide price point. People who cannot or will not purchase an $800 phone will buy a $400 phone because of the benefits these devices provide. Apple a bit slow in recognizing this trend. Better late then never.👏

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Wish I would have had more concrete info on this phone before the Sept iPhones. I just replaced our four-year-old 6s's with 8s. Would have held out for SE2 had I known.

Reactions: LiveM

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
All I want is an SE sized phone with a better camera. It sounds like Apple don't want to make one. Do any Android manufacturers make one already?

I would prefer to stay with Apple but I don't like the larger sizes. It may be time for me to at least consider another manufacturer if they make a good alternative.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Seems obvious for retaining a Lower price point. Apples LCD panels have always been outstanding with calibration and matured over the years. Hopefully LG executes here.

Reactions: Cape Dave

PO2345

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Wish I would have had more concrete info on this phone before the Sept iPhones. I just replaced our four-year-old 6s's with 8s. Would have held out for SE2 had I known.
I had an iPhone 6 from 2014-Feb 2019. I replaced it with an 8.
The 8 has the same internals as the X. It's a phone I plan on using for a long time & it should last for your children as well.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Budget phones are what killed 3D Touch in the first place, so no surprise they’re not going to add it to this one...
No, 3D Touch failed because Apple didn’t properly market this feature and it was confusing for those to know how to manipulate it. That’s why it failed. And I’m not knocking 3D Touch, as it is a great feature, for those who actually know how to invoke its actions, but for everyone else, they didn’t know it even existed on the phone. That’s on Apple.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Budget phones didn't kill 3D Touch. Lack of vision killed 3D Touch. Apple literally said (metaphorically speaking), "Hey guys, here's this kinda sorta cool new thing we implemented. You can use it in your apps, not use it in your apps, or ya know... whatever. We're gonna use it sometimes too. Other times we won't. We'll leave 'em guessin'."

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
(Read in Jony Ive voice)

Here at Apple, we’re always striving for the next innovation, the next big thing. We think we’ve done it: time travel.

The iPhone 9 is a phone we designed...what is it now...Five? Six years ago? Who’s counting. This device is so personal, so simple, yet so powerful....it just makes sense.

I’m not working for Apple anymore and yet somehow I’m in your mind, describing our product in relentless detail. When you hold one in your hand, you’ll feel each material and how it blends in with the space around you. It’s a remarkable achievement. Something so familiar, yet familiar at the same time.

The iPhone 9
Released two years after the iPhone 10...alongside the iPhone 11....and the 11 Pro..........and the 11 Pro Max. Amazing. Confused. Simple. :apple:.

Last edited:

Wokis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
sign me in for 128GB Red :)
Lets hope the camera is on par with 11 and this will be awesome phone for the price. The value will be insane (unlike with 11 Pro) :)
Lol. I can tell you right now that the camera won’t be. That would gut the 11 sales.. For a $399 phone the A12/3GB is a good enough tune-up.

And the urgent need to replace 2GB devices across the entire iOS-lineup tells me those aren’t going to see many more iOS updates..

currentinterest

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
A better name than SE 2, 8S, or 9, in my opinion, would be iPhone Classic (saw it, didn’t originate it), or iPhone 11 Classic since it has the A13. The smaller phone will come in Sept 2020 in the form of the 5.4 inch iPhone Pro, which will be smaller in physical size than an iPhone 8.

trip1ex

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2008
No, 3D Touch failed because Apple didn’t properly market this feature and it was confusing for those to know how to manipulate it. That’s why it failed. And I’m not knocking 3D Touch, as it is a great feature, for those who actually know how to invoke its actions, but for everyone else, they didn’t know it even existed on the phone. That’s on Apple.
to me it failed because they really never found a great use for it.

and wasn't anything that a long press couldn't do.

And using different pressures was something you didn't want to think about.

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
Japan Display has been the main supplier of LCD screens for all the LCD iPhones since the beginning. They're also in a lot of debt right now and have been bailed out partially by Apple infusing millions of dollars into the company.
I can't see LG providing the LCD displays for this new iPhone. Everything points to it having to come from Japan Display (not that we, the end user, care one bit).

Reactions: sffdjd