Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Of course these are all still rumors. We'll find out for sure next week. However, I was hoping that Apple would abandon the old 5s form factor and really go wild with the new smaller iphone. Give it a totally new look. Something so radical that it would not only make people missing a smaller phone happy, but make everyone sit up and go WOW! But it looks like that isn't the case.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It will be too bad if it doesn't have 3D touch. I think that is something that will take most people several years to get used to using. I almost never use it myself. But if I saw folks around me using it, I would remember it as a UI tool more often.
And I think this phone with this CPU will have significant lifecycle. So if they sell 100 million of them over the next two years, then that will be another 100 million Apple users not using 3D touch. That would be a shame to be the case in 2018 and later.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So let me get this straight: This case is for an iPhone SE that is indistinguishable from the iPhone 5s. How do we know that this isn't just a case for a 5s? Companies still make cases for the 5s because the 5s is still being sold. It didn't seem like there was any confirmation from Spigen that this was for an iPhone SE. So what am I missing here?

befrank4444

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
The 5S remains one of the best form factor phones i have owned, while its not innovating, it should prove to be an excellent phone recycling the elements of the 5S/6 . As long as it comes in the premium body that that is equal or better than the 5S, it will be a great phone. The inclusion of the headphone jack, may mean this will be my new iPhone this year.

I'm thinking the same. STRONGLY considering.

Reactions: KPandian1

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I really hope it still has 1/8 inch audio jack. I so do not want to have to buy several (expensive and fiddly) adapters to plug speakers in. As for the rest of the phone design, I don't care, as the case I use is the design I interact with most.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Spigen makes excellent cases, and attractive ones too - for the first year I had mine, people were constantly saying how much they liked it and asking where I got it. My 5s is in near-mint condition after more than two years in the "slim armor" case, despite several drops onto concrete. Even if the 5s cases are SE-compatible I might have to get a new one (or at least a new color shell) just to support the company. Can't have them going out of business before my next case purchase!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This is FANTASTIC news.

The 5s case is a bloody gorgeous piece of kit.

I wish I didn't have to wait another single day.
I'm so so ready for a 4" phone again.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I have Spigen case on an iPhone 5s and 6s - both are great. I can pay half as much for a cheaper case - $5-9, but those qualities are shameful.

I also have a Tech Armor on an iPhone 5s - gorgeous case as it is a bumper only case that shows off the design very well! I do have screen protectors on all of them.

My only complaint against Spigen is their lack of a bumper case for the iPhone 6s. They did have beautiful ones for the iPhone 5s, but I can't find it anymore in their online stores; hope they come back for the new release and also for whatever iPhone 7 brings.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I have Spigen case on an iPhone 5s and 6s - both are great. I can pay half as much for a cheaper case - $5-9, but those qualities are shameful.

I also have a Tech Armor on an iPhone 5s - gorgeous case as it is a bumper only case that shows off the design very well! I do have screen protectors on all of them.

My only complaint against Spigen is their lack of a bumper case for the iPhone 6s. They did have beautiful ones for the iPhone 5s, but I can't find it anymore in their online stores; hope they come back for the new release and also for whatever iPhone 7 brings.

Ive had the same Otterbox Symmetry case on my iPhone 5 going on 3 years this August

The case looks good as new and most importantly it has great protection (nice big lip on the front), costs $20, and is SUPER slim (about as slim as you can get without going caseless or using a bumper)

Spigen cases are TRASH, the lip is MUCH smaller than the Symmetry and many of my friends with Spigen cases have had cracked screens.

Not all Otterbox cases are good but the Symmetry is amazing, I used to review premium iPhone cases from the 4 to the iPhone 5 and nothing has lasted and looked so good after this many years while providing great protection in a non bulky package

Really hope Otterbox makes an iPhone SE Symmetry case as it looks like this will be my phone once i retire this iPhone 5

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I don't understand the vitriol for the slightly protruding camera

Wobble wobble wobble wobble

If it was in the center it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal
[doublepost=1457705246][/doublepost]
Ive had the same Otterbox Symmetry case on my iPhone 5 going on 3 years this August

The case looks good as new and most importantly it has great protection (nice big lip on the front), costs $20, and is SUPER slim (about as slim as you can get without going caseless or using a bumper)

Spigen cases are TRASH, the lip is MUCH smaller than the Symmetry and many of my friends with Spigen cases have had cracked screens.

Not all Otterbox cases are good but the Symmetry is amazing, I used to review premium iPhone cases from the 4 to the iPhone 5 and nothing has lasted and looked so good after this many years while providing great protection in a non bulky package

Really hope Otterbox makes an iPhone SE Symmetry case as it looks like this will be my phone once i retire this iPhone 5

Belkin iPhone case looks better, feels better, and is half the thickness. Same type of lip, so you don't need to worry about face damage either. Unless you drop your case from high heights, that may be an even better choice.

Totally agree that Spigen is trash though.

Last edited:

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Ive had the same Otterbox Symmetry

Not all Otterbox cases are good 5

Spigen cases have aesthetics that when one wants a minimal case, will not take away the beauty of the iPhone - 5; better than 6 because 6 is a Samsung clone.

I have used Otterbox on 4 and 5 iPhones - they are very good protective cases. That is the point. They are bulky - completely defeating the purpose of a sleek phone!

Spigen cases I own are sleek and beautiful - and protect my phones if don't throw them at a wall!

The screens have never shattered because I always have a screen protector film on them. I prefer the bumper cases because they are even more minimalist. The iPhone 6 series do not have bumper cases at all - from Spigen.

They protect our phones well enough when placing the phones firmly on a surface. The only two times the phones have slipped out of the hands at more than 5 feet, they landed on the bumpers. Several smaller falls on the screen face have happened - usually while getting out of a car - the screen films have ALWAYS protected them.

I use cases on our iPhones to protect them from casual use, and, to easily see them on the cluttered tables. The nice colors on my bumper cases make it easy. I like the back of the iPhones to be bare - better heat dissipation.

I do not use battery pack cases either.

The only Lifeproof case I have still sits in the box it came in, complete with the screen and back covers. The case was too bulky, but, more important, the audio sounded as if the person was speaking from a distant, deep chamber - like from the bottom of a well! I repeatedly tested it with the several receivers available, home and contacts - no change.

So, I will not take my phone to the lake when fishing - no reception anyway! And, will not hurl it at anything. The Otterbox cases have their uses, but, for me, too bulky.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I'm thinking the same. STRONGLY considering.
What
The 5S remains one of the best form factor phones i have owned, while its not innovating, it should prove to be an excellent phone recycling the elements of the 5S/6 .

What is not innovative about the iPhone 5s? The body design is supposed to be the same as the iPhone 5, and the most significant innovation was the Touch-id leap, now, the most imitated INNOVATION!

That chamfered cut design is a tough on at any level, carpentry or iPhone design. Moving to Samsung design with the 6 series, Apple just cut its "innovation", even eliminating the strong spine and the round buttons. Hence, the bend-gate!

A better innovation will be minimizing the bezel and delivering a screen much bigger than the 6, and the plus series will give the same screen in a smaller "mold". I know Apple does not use a mold on its aluminum bodies, but the computerized molds are the same concept.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What

What is not innovative about the iPhone 5s? The body design is supposed to be the same as the iPhone 5, and the most significant innovation was the Touch-id leap, now, the most imitated INNOVATION!

That chamfered cut design is a tough on at any level, carpentry or iPhone design. Moving to Samsung design with the 6 series, Apple just cut its "innovation", even eliminating the strong spine and the round buttons. Hence, the bend-gate!

A better innovation will be minimizing the bezel and delivering a screen much bigger than the 6, and the plus series will give the same screen in a smaller "mold". I know Apple does not use a mold on its aluminum bodies, but the computerized molds are the same concept.

I meant the 5SE is not innovative, it's taking arguably the best iPhone design and updating the internals.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I meant the 5SE is not innovative, it's taking arguably the best iPhone design and updating the internals.
If Apple drastically redesigns the SE so that it bears no resemblance to either the 5-series or the 6-series, it'll be rather stealing the iPhone 7's thunder.
So if the release adheres to the rumours merging the screen blending with the iP5 body; that's pretty daring.
And if not, and we get either the trusty 5 or shrunken 6; fitting the revised innards is more than good enough.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
If Apple drastically redesigns the SE so that it bears no resemblance to either the 5-series or the 6-series, it'll be rather stealing the iPhone 7's thunder.
... and we get either the trusty 5 or shrunken 6

The Seven series (iPhone 7) cannot release any crippled version; the 5se will be a catch-up 6 model for the dropped ball, i.e., the 4" continuation model in September '15.

The iPhone 7 4" should be a casing almost the same size as the iPhone 5, bigger screen by reducing the bezel, and every thing just the same as the flagship model of the release - which I suppose will be the (mini-pad) iPhone plus!

Such a model will not cannibalize the 7's thunder as it will be just a 4+ inch size model on a casing like the iPhone 5s, like the iPhone 6s Plus did not cannibalize the iPhone 6s (or vice versa)!

The future is already set to be three sizes, as the March 21st release will establish! Why not cater to a wider clientele - other companies have more than 2 versions, some of them crap. Reduced bezel will make the other screens more than 4.7 and 5.5 inches - all models starting with 64GB or 128GB and going on to 128GB or 256Gb, one can dream!

Hopefully, they will avoid the word "mini" on the iPhone line-up; might be a deal breaker.

I want an iPhone that I can carry properly, no matter the screen size (>4") - the iPhone 6s is not that!

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So if the release adheres to the rumours merging the screen blending with the iP5 body; that's pretty daring.
And if not, and we get either the trusty 5 or shrunken 6; fitting the revised innards is more than good enough.

That's apples fault for fragmenting thier iPhone line. Like discussed on the forums, apple has too many models within each product these days, something Jobs corrected when he came back to apple. No matter what happens the 5SE will be a new model, the design will differ, cause apple will want to make it just different enough for people to believe they are getting a new phone.

Personally I think this might be the best iPhone they make, as its based on a previous model. The 7 will follow the 6, which looks more like an android , cause markert research seems to be leading innovation these days, hence to many models to fit every market segment

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
From just one iPhone just two models ago, we now, as of 21st March, will have three different sizes from Apple!

A good spot for the consumer to be in if iPhones are your passion and you do not want to be shackled with the just one "take it or leave it" Apple program of the past.

Remember, Apple had just one carrier for so many frustrating models! If it was still AT&T alone today, my house-hold will not have four iPhones right now.

Why are people fighting choice?

Reactions: Chung123

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I hope that Apple will review its desktop line in line with this iPhone line.
We have Mac mini, iMac and Pro, which misses completely the GPU-card based Macs.
The mac mini line should be revised to allow for Macmini with onboard graphics and MacMini with GPU (changeable) configuration ala ITX micro/mini board-based.
After all, the Mac desktops is not hot selling anyway, so why not to create a new line? Would be good for gamers and tinkers. Might cannibalize iMac line a bit, but truth is GPU Macmini won't steal thunder of 5k imacs (they are so good value), only of lower and slower iMacs.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
From just one iPhone just two models ago, we now, as of 21st March, will have three different sizes from Apple!

A good spot for the consumer to be in if iPhones are your passion and you do not want to be shackled with the just one "take it or leave it" Apple program of the past.

Remember, Apple had just one carrier for so many frustrating models! If it was still AT&T alone today, my house-hold will not have four iPhones right now.

Why are people fighting choice?

Because at the same time, the innovation has left from the iPhone. Unless we're talking about the iPhone Pro models in which apple seems to be adding the "extra" features nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.