Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
Some people think more choice is good, I'm one of those few who worry about the iPhone losing some of its appeal. You could always recognize the iPhone. With all the different sizes and maybe even a separate pro version, isn't there a risk the iPhone will feel more fragmented and anonymous, and lose whatever 'specialness' it had?
I wonder what would happen if Apple had just settled on a 5 inch screen phone, and making the bezels smaller to keep the overall size down, then tell customers to love it or leave it. Hmm, I don't know.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Some people think more choice is good, I'm one of those few who worry about the iPhone losing some of its appeal. You could always recognize the iPhone. With all the different sizes and maybe even a separate pro version, isn't there a risk the iPhone will feel more fragmented and anonymous, and lose whatever 'specialness' it had?

It's already happened, tbh. This will definitely exacerbate the entire thing though

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I wonder what would happen if Apple had just settled on a 5 inch screen phone, and making the bezels smaller to keep the overall size down, then tell customers to love it or leave it. Hmm, I don't know.

yes, let everyone drive only black Ford T models and everyone wear same shirt.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
If it produces more consistent behavior, then who is to say that's wrong? ;)
It's unrealistic, if I walked into an Apple Store wanting to buy a phone and they told me all we can sell you is a 5.5 inch phone take it or leave it. I would walk out unhappy and buy somewhere else, Apple loses business. It's a lose/lose all around. Options are always a good thing for the consumer. It's unlike my electric company who can charge whatever rate they want and price gouge me because there is no competition, they are the only one.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
It's unrealistic, if I walked into an Apple Store wanting to buy a phone and they told me all we can sell you is a 5.5 inch phone take it or leave it. I would walk out unhappy and buy somewhere else, Apple loses business. It's a lose/lose all around. Options are always a good thing for the consumer. It's unlike my electric company who can charge whatever rate they want and price gouge me because there is no competition, they are the only one.

While I agree with "Options are always a good thing for the consumer" in general, the way apple has implemented it seems to be disruptive (takes away from) to the average user, because it creates a "power-user" device, with a larger screen, that gives the illusion of being superior. Prior to the release of the 6+ every iPhone was the "best" iPhone. Any new technology that Apple had and was planning on using, would go into the only iPhone. Now they have a much greater incentive to put "new" features and technology into the larger devices, while keeping the normal device stale. There are at least three reasons for this: 1) The larger device is more expensive; meaning it needs to be better 2) There is more room in the internal casing for hardware 3) Since the device does not sell in as high of a quantity, features that are harder to mass produce (talks about OLED screens for 2017 iPhones) would only apply to the lower supply phones like 7+/Pro.

So what it comes down to is the majority of iPhone users start to feel like they have an inferior iPhone, whereas before, everyone had the flagship device, with the best tech possible.

Reactions: BlankSlate

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
You should've done that when the 5s came out. I feel bad for you. I mean the 4S must run iOS 9 like garbage considering that it shipped iOS 5.
It's actually not that bad, sure it's showing signs of its age, but it gets the job done.

I buy my phones outright, rather than get them on contact, as it saves money in the long run. The upgrade from the 4s to the 5s at the time wasn't really worth it. I was considering buying a 6 until the increased the size of it. I get that some people my have spare room in their trouser pockets, but there are those of us that just don't!

I really feel bad for them! ;)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
The iPhone line is finally looks complete with addition of new 4 inch model (mini, mid and max models).
iPad line is also completed with mini, Air and Pro lines.
Macbook line is also complete with 11, 12/13 and 15 inch models.

Following this logic, there must be AppleWatch light or Sport edition (cheaper/smaller)

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
I'm warming up to the renders that show really rounded edges and a somewhat chunky device, could be really comfortable to hold and use with a decent sized battery.
If that is the final design I might just go back to a 4 inch screen device, never thought I would go back, but I miss being able to type out a message with one hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.