Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly three weeks after the launch of the iPhone SE in the U.S. and eleven other regions, availability of the new 4-inch smartphone remains limited.

iPhone SE continues to be out of stock at Apple Stores in a number of major U.S. cities, including most or all locations in New York City, Los Angeles, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Phoenix, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Denver, Portland, Raleigh, Seattle, and Washington D.C.

iPhone-SE-Stock-April-2016.jpg

Apple's web-based Personal Pickup tool shows that the smartphone remains in tight supply in many other international cities, including Amsterdam, Berlin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Melbourne, Milan, Montréal, Paris, Rome, Sydney, and Toronto. Most models are currently available on a ship-to-store basis only.

MacRumors forum member Channan writes in "How do I get an iPhone SE?":
All the Apple stores within 300 miles of my location are also all sold out of the model I want. I check every 64GB silver model except Sprint, since the rest are all the same.

I have to buy from an Apple Store because I want to trade my 5s in and get the SE on a payment plan. Some carriers had them in store but that just isn't an option for me.
Meanwhile, online availability of the iPhone SE remains backlogged into May, with new orders estimated to ship in 2-3 weeks in the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, United Kingdom, and many other countries.

iPhone SE shipping estimates slipped to late April soon after the smartphone launched on March 31. Nevertheless, while extended delivery estimates are anecdotal evidence that iPhone SE sales may be promising, they are not a measurable indicator of exact supply and demand.

Apple has not disclosed official iPhone SE sales figures, and early speculation is mixed. A recent CNBC report claimed that Apple received an initial 3.4 million iPhone SE pre-orders in China, while KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and analytics firm Localytics described first weekend sales as "lackluster."

Prospective iPhone SE buyers should also visit local Apple Authorized Resellers, which in the U.S. includes AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Costco, Sam's Club, Target, Walmart, and many other carriers and retailers. Apple Stores may also replenish limited in-store iPhone SE stock each day, so call ahead.

Article Link: iPhone SE Remains in Tight Supply at Apple Stores and Online

Last edited:

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
To those searching for one, check your local Best Buy. I had good luck at mine, and while they only had a few 64GB models, they had all four colors in 16GB. They also price match Apple.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
No numbers announcement but it's clear there is huge demand based on the SE being sold out and the previous stats of how many iPhone users are still on that smaller screensize.

Hopefully the SE's sales can help offset the expected YoY decline in overall iPhone sales.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple's masterful market manipulation at it's finest. With a deft touch and full control of rumors, reports and the like, it's a splendid demonstration of the world's best sales and marketing team in action. Apple deserves every dollar they take in, an effort like this is an amazing world class operation.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
No numbers announcement but it's clear there is huge demand based on the SE being sold out and the previous stats of how many iPhone users are still on that smaller screensize.

Hopefully the SE's sales can help offset the expected YoY decline in overall iPhone sales.

Or, Apple did not make as many in the first place waiting to see how sales will go ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yet the stock was down over 2% on Friday and is down again 1.6% today because of sell-side analyst reports claiming iPhone sales are crap and the June quarter is going to be a disaster. :confused:

Reactions: chrisbru

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Or, Apple did not make as many in the first place waiting to see how sales will go ;)

I'm sure apple was conservative with their production, as they always are. But shortages for a non-flagship phone this far out from launch seems like high demand. It uses the same parts from the 5/5S, so it's not like there's new tech holding up production.

I don't remember but did the 5C have constraints like this?

Reactions: rekhyt and sracer

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm sure apple was conservative with their production, as they always are. But shortages for a non-flagship phone this far out from launch seems like high demand. It uses the same parts from the 5/5S, so it's not like there's new tech holding up production.

I don't remember but did the 5C have constraints like this?

I uses crucial parts from the 6s and it may be that Apple is prioritizing 6s production. I think there is high demand because if you want a 4" phone, this is the one to buy, hands down. And if you are budget conscious and can live with the smaller screen, this is the phone to buy, hands down.

tabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
I'd be very wary of getting the 16Gb version of this phone. You will probably get a little over 12Gb usable given you lose some to formatting and obviously to iOS itself. If you intend on doing 4k video, that will go very quickly, and even with the new 12MP shooter, and live photos turned on - its going to be tight! And that's without apps, music etc.

I imagine a lot of people have realised that, and its precisely why the 16Gb is the only one in stock at some places :)

Reactions: midkay

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I uses crucial parts from the 6s and it may be that Apple is prioritizing 6s production. I think there is high demand because if you want a 4" phone, this is the one to buy, hands down. And if you are budget conscious and can live with the smaller screen, this is the phone to buy, hands down.

I can't image there are still constraints for 6S parts this far out from its fall launch.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
I can confirm this report, in spades.

On Saturday, I strolled to the Apple Store in McLean, VA, to trade-in my wife's vintage iPhone (for a $50 gift card) and to cash-and-carry a SE/64GB, silver. We checked a demo SE on her hands, and she was sold totally on its looks and feel, with zero reservations.

But they were completely sold out. So, we bought the SE thru the Apple web-site where we got pick-up confirmation to the McLean store, four weeks from Sunday.

The constrained inventory is indeed real.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
There's all kinds of demand for form factors outside of Apple's norm, and it's unclear why Apple continues to ignore them.

For example, on the Mac side there's a huge demand for a mid-priced mini-tower, something that would fit between the mini and the Mac Pro. The demand has been there since the transition to Intel chips. I say this as a happy 8500 owner back in the day.

Likewise, there's always a demand for smaller form factors, not just thinner. An even smaller iPhone for basically pictures + phone would be perfect...although the demand would be unclear.

I'd like to think Apple's ignoring the other form factors because they won't be profitable, not because they don't know people want them.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
I'd be very wary of getting the 16Gb version of this phone. You will probably get a little over 12Gb usable given you lose some to formatting and obviously to iOS itself. If you intend on doing 4k video, that will go very quickly, and even with the new 12MP shooter, and live photos turned on - its going to be tight! And that's without apps, music etc.

I imagine a lot of people have realised that, and its precisely why the 16Gb is the only one in stock at some places :)

Everyone (including myself) is getting tired of the 16GB crap Apple is selling. How does Apple expect people to fully utilize their devices if they buy the starting option of 16GB storage? Sure, you can invest in cloud services but that is annoying to use when you have weak/no data coverage. I used to have 16GB for iPhone 4, then went to 32GB for iPhone 5, then went to 64GB for iPhone 6 and 6S. I don't need 128GB and I know I don't need 64GB (although since they nixed 32GB I have less than 20GB avail on my phone to make me "think" I need 64 - I can tailor my habits). Of course Apple selling 64GB as the next tier is a scheme for the customer to pay $100 more (which works), but its just sad given what their iDevices can do nowadays, not to mention the ever increasing size of apps (don't know if developers are taking advantage of app-thinning). Maybe Apple will have better sales if they started at 32GB. I think their margins can take a little hit, especially for a company that is so driven to make products to enhance someone's life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.