Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to release a fourth-generation iPhone SE with a larger 5.7-inch display as early as 2023, according to display industry consultant Ross Young, who has proven to be a reliable source of information for future Apple products.

iphone-se-2020-top.jpeg

The fourth-generation iPhone SE has until now been rumored to launch in 2024, but Young now says a 2023 release is looking more likely.

Interestingly, Young also said the third-generation iPhone SE that is widely expected to launch this year is rumored to be named the iPhone SE+ 5G. The device is expected to feature the same design as the current iPhone SE, including a 4.7-inch display, with key new features being a faster A15 chip and 5G support.

iPhone SE+ 5G would be rather unordinary branding for an Apple product, so this rumored name should be treated with some skepticism for now.

Article Link: iPhone SE With Larger 5.7-Inch Display May Launch in 2023, 'iPhone SE+ 5G' Also Rumored

Last edited:

giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
He’s a 100% track record leaker but this whole SE saga has been confusing as hell.

Calling a 4.7” iPhone a “Plus” when we all know what “Plus” used to mean.

And calling the iPhone SE after this stopgap SE “SE3” when no iPhone SE was ever numbered. (the current second gen SE is just called “iPhone SE”, not SE2).

Puzzling.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
SE+ 5G is an awful name but probably makes a lot of sense from a marketing point of view. Like it or not, 5G is a massive marketing tool (just look at the iPhone 12 launch), and a budget 5G phone is definitely missing in Apple's lineup. Could see this selling alongside the 2020 SE, with 5G being basically the only differentiating factor (maybe a new chip).

Reactions: bluecoast

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68030
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
SE+ 5G is an awful name but probably makes a lot of sense from a marketing point of view. Like it or not, 5G is a massive marketing tool (just look at the iPhone 12 launch), and a budget 5G phone is definitely missing in Apple's lineup. Could see this selling alongside the 2020 SE, with 5G being basically the only differentiating factor (maybe a new chip).
5G is very marketing-y.
I just updated my Pro 13 plan to 5G for the first time, in prep for some international travel. Turns out, 5G in the area I spend the majority of my time, is incredibly poor. A long, painful call with AT&T support eventually revealed the towers in my area have yet been updated for 5G. Boo that.

Last edited:

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
If the screen size of the fourth generation model is truly going to be 5.7”, the X/XS/11Pro form factor makes more sense than the XR/11 form factor that has often been predicted. The drop from 5.8” to 5.7” could br the result of a change from OLED to LCD. Still a bit tough to believe though.

businessnumbersmoneypeopl

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2020
Since Apple will be eliminating the iPhone Mini this year. I really hope it really adopts the iPhone Mini design factor. Many people will appreciate this.

Ditto. For example, in many countries, kids get their first phone quite early, and most of the current phones are huge for them. Mini was / is just way too expensive, making it the new SE would solve that problem.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
He’s a 100% track record leaker but this whole SE saga has been confusing as hell.

Calling a 4.7” iPhone a “Plus” when we all know what “Plus” used to mean.

And calling the iPhone SE after this stopgap SE “SE3” when no iPhone SE was ever numbered. (the current second gen SE is just called “iPhone SE”, not SE2).

Puzzling.

I agree that this whole thing is confusing.... From what we know about past SE lines, they tend to retain an old design with new hardware. The 5.7" screen makes sense to me IF they were to keep the iPhone 8 design. That allows for an all screen design in the same form factor. With that said, releasing this all screen SE while retaining the iPhone 8 design in 2023-24 doesn't make sense to me. Apple is busy moving their entire product lineup over to the new flatter design language so an iPhone 8 design in 2023-24 would be out of place IMO. It would make sense if this 5.7" design is coming THIS year or the 5.7" design was prototyped but ultimately scrapped. The 23-24 SE I would imagine would move to the iPhone 12 design (hopefully the mini).

jacks64

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Brighton,UK
Since Apple will be eliminating the iPhone Mini this year. I really hope it really adopts the iPhone Mini design factor. Many people will appreciate this.
I very much doubt that as even though there may not be an iPhone 14 mini,they will still sell the 12 and 13 mini for a couple of more years at least.Launching am SE mini would cannabalise those sales.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
If the screen size of the fourth generation model is truly going to be 5.7”, the X/XS/11Pro form factor makes more sense than the XR/11 form factor that has often been predicted. The drop from 5.8” to 5.7” could br the result of a change from OLED to LCD. Still a bit tough to believe though.

My guess is that Apple at least prototyped a 5.7" all screen design with the current iPhone 8 body leading many leakers to equate it to the iPhone XR since it would look almost identical front and back. Without any measurements or size comparisons they could have easily mistaken it for an XR body. The rumors about it having a 6.1" screen came from the assumption that it was using an XR body instead of the iPhone 8 body.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I very much doubt that as even though there may not be an iPhone 14 mini,they will still sell the 12 and 13 mini for a couple of more years at least.Launching am SE mini would cannabalise those sales.

Which is why making the 2023-24 iPhone SE a mini would make sense. By then the 13 mini would be discontinued with no 14 mini to replace it.

Reactions: bluecoast

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
My guess is that Apple at least prototyped a 5.7" all screen design with the current iPhone 8 body leading many leakers to equate it to the iPhone XR since it would look almost identical front and back. Without any measurements or size comparisons they could have easily mistaken it for an XR body. The rumors about it having a 6.1" screen came from the assumption that it was using an XR body instead of the iPhone 8 body.
That could be. Still seems a little farfetched though since switching that chassis to an “all-screen” design would likely involve significant changes to the specs and placement of internals. Would it really be an easier/cheaper route than going either X chassis and the same 5.7” LCD? That’s sort of a rhetorical question since it would be tough to know without inside knowledge. But it doesn’t really feel convincing.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Isn’t the iPhone 13/12 Mini bigger than the iPhone SE anyway 5.4 vs 4.7? What I would do is use the iPhone Mini design/chassis but use LCD to keep cost down. They did it with XR. Or they could also do punch hole for the camera to keep cost down and use the power button for Touch ID like on the iPad Air. I think it would be a great compromise and bring some consistency to design language.

They could make the current iPhone SE dirt cheap at 199. Just to have an option at every conceivable price point. While the new SE I am suggesting takes the 399 slot and an iPhone 13 6.1 takes the 599 slot this fall.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
That could be. Still seems a little farfetched though since switching that chassis to an “all-screen” design would likely involve significant changes to the specs and placement of internals. Would it really be an easier/cheaper route than going either X chassis and the same 5.7” LCD? That’s sort of a rhetorical question since it would be tough to know without inside knowledge. But it doesn’t really feel convincing.

No electrical engineer here so take everything I say with a grain of salt... But I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to add an all screen design to the current body. Only physical internal layout changes I would think would be the placement of the front speaker and camera which should be fairly easy given the 8's internal design. The display itself would be completely separate of the body and all new which means it would be designed to fit the body, not the other way around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.