iPhone Storage > System taking 19.3GB of space. No idea why. (Update: now 21GB+ and growing)

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by pgharavi, Jul 29, 2017.

1. awp69 macrumors member

Not good to hear that beta 5 didn’t fix the problem.

2. pudge104 macrumors member

This didn’t work for me and my system is still over 80GB. Will see if the new beta does anything for me, but the beta feedback team did contact me last night for more information. Hopefully they can help.

3. awp69 macrumors member

Please let us know if they can provide any answers — especially if today’s PB doesn’t help. This sucks.

4. twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

This also didn't work for me on a ipad pro 9.7" 32 GB.

How do you know if the sysdiagnose worked? I didn't see any notification that anything happened.

5. pgharavi thread starter macrumors regular

pgharavi

It actually increased my System files by about 2GB.

You can see report(s) in the Feedback app.

6. pudge104 macrumors member

7. awp69 macrumors member

Nope. Not fixed here either. :(

Hope support gets back with you and let’s you know of a fix.

8. twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

Give it some time. It seems to have fixed it for me but didn't at first.

21 GB free on 32 GB iPad pro 9.7".
    System 5.92 GB.

9. awp69 macrumors member

Still not seeing any progress.

Question: are you guys using “Offload” on any of your apps?

When I started having this problem, I began using it to get rid of stuff to continue to use the damn phone since it kept getting full. Not sure if the offloaded apps would be continuing to cause a problem even if there is a fix with PB 4.

Edit: NM. It just instantly dropped from 27 GB to 7 GB in System storage. So I guess it kicked in! Yeah! :)

10. pudge104, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

pudge104 macrumors member

No progress here either. I haven’t used that. I deleted all of my music and my phone thinks it’s all still on here but it’s now all under “Other”. Plus the 90GB System.

Also, under About, my capacity is listed straight up as 128 GB. I always remember it being a little less because no phone has it’s true listed capacity.

11. awp69 macrumors member

Not sure if you saw my edit but it finally kicked in and System storage is back to a normal-ish 7 or so GB.

Hope it eventually goes down for you (and hope it stays down for me).

12. pudge104 macrumors member

Ha, I was just logging in to say the same thing, mine has kicked in as well. I'm at about 13GB. That's ok, I'll take it, glad it appears to be fixed!

13. twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

yep that's a change with ios 11.

System keeps dropping, 5.68 GB now.

14. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

15. pudge104 macrumors member

I wish mine would go that low, I’m at 13, but I’ll take it.

16. twanj, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

I've been deleting large attachments in Messages so System is down to 5.25 GB.

not sure why that counts as System, but oh well. at least this is as good with this beta & this issue so far!

17. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

Mine is at 7.06 GB and I'm on the latest public beta. Its almost all of my storage gone. 1.8GB in Photos then just 100's of MB for the apps I have installed and a little bit for Messages. The PhoneClean Windows PC application won't clean anything as the backup is encrypted (this is forced on and I cannot turn it off due to work policy - I have a profile installed for my work emails, VPN, etc).

What can I do clear this off?

18. uncleiven macrumors regular

uncleiven

Same issue here on the latest PB

Shame the old “try to rent a HD movie trick” doesn’t work like it use to. That would clear several Gb from my phone if it was nearly full

[​IMG]

19. madeirabhoy, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I came on here specifically to see about this, and even when reading it my iPhone is still ballooning. ive deleted everyhthing I can but every time I free up space the iPhone eats it!

I only have a 16gb iPhone 6, ive added up everytinhg I have in settings and it comes to under 6 gb but system is 9.55gb. it was under 8 half an hour ago. I tried that press both volume buttons and the power button but I think that made it go up not down. I'm now again getting storage space full warnings despite deleting about 300mb of stuff this morning, I now only have 35mb of space. I'm tempted to eraze everything but then I think the phone would just eat that space too.

EDIT maybe it was the volume and power buttons but I lost even more space, and then every time now I look there is more and more space, back to 2.1gb and system down to 7.45gb from 9.5

20. uncleiven macrumors regular

uncleiven

My phone is unusable at the min as it’s constantly getting full. I’m going to have to switch back to iOS 10

21. jimholcomb macrumors member

I killed all open apps and then rebooted, fixed it for me.

22. Valkyre macrumors 6502

I am having the same issue, although I have another question at the same time. How is everyone able to see how much system takes up on their device?

I am using iphone 6s beta 5 and I go to iphone storage and I scroll to the bottom and there is nowhere to be found any mention of system storage...

23. uncleiven macrumors regular

uncleiven

Gone back to iOS 10 for now as it was driving me mad! I'll keep an eye on later betas to see if he issue has gone away

24. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I had the same issue on my iPad Pro. I ended up having to restore it because it wouldn't shrink. I think this is a bug with the betas and I think there some kind of logging process thats goes out of control.

25. uncleiven macrumors regular

uncleiven