iPhone Storage > System taking 19.3GB of space. No idea why. (Update: now 21GB+ and growing)

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by pgharavi, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Nhott macrumors member

I hadn’t had this issue until the latest beta. It was 14GB this morning and now a little over 12. I did plug my phone into my laptop earlier so it must have cleaned out the logs.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

How do you see "System" storage usage? It's not at the bottom of the list for me like it is for other people's screenshots here.

3. jimholcomb macrumors member

A temporary fix, the problem is back

4. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

looks like its fixed with the latest public beta, system down to 6.5gb and staying there

5. dcp10 macrumors 6502

Same here

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I haven’t found any either after iOS 11 beta 7. I guess Apple just removes the entire thing because too many people complain about system using up too much space. They prefer hiding this info behind the door, leaving people speculating.

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

I'm on the latest public beta and i can see mine at the bottom. shrinking all the time too. down to 5.78gb.

8. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Could you provide a screenshot? Cause I can’t see that part anymore.
    Also, there is no such a thing called “others” on my device. Strange.

9. Nhott macrumors member

My iPad doesn’t show system any longer. The top bar isn’t reporting correctly. I have 27GB of music downloaded. It shows that under music plus all of my other apps, etc.. but the top bar says I’m only using 19GB total for everything. My fiancé’s phone also doesn’t show system but all appears to be correct on the top bar. Both of my iPhones do show system taking up 6GB on one phone and 8GB on the other.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

its called "You are using beta software"

file a report like they expect you to do when you are on the betas. and if its a huge issue, stop using the betas

11. Cayden, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I'm well aware it's beta software (I've been using iOS beta software since iOS 7) and the problems that come along with that and have filed over 20 reports since the first iOS 11 beta came out. I have over 50 GB free on my iPad so extra or erroneous system data is a nonissue for me, just wanted to let the OP know others were having this issue as well

12. Frodo15 macrumors newbie

Hi! I've read the whole thing and I just was wondering what would happen if I downgrade my iPhone 7 32gb to the last 10.x.x stable realease and then updating again to lastest iOS beta 11 (just to see if the problem occurs again). It's weird to me because the ''System Storage Bug'' it's only happening in my iPhone 7 but not in my iPod 6th gen, I guess it's just a matter of everyday use since I barely use the iPod.

13. asin_visage macrumors newbie

Any luck with a fix? I just upgraded to IOS 11 and my system usage keeps climbing until the phone is full???

14. pgharavi thread starter macrumors regular

pgharavi

Problem went away during one of the betas, for my part.

15. logic500 macrumors newbie

logic500

Ok so I think this is beacuse you have been installing Betas and that must be taking a lot of space .

If you can back up your iphone and do a complete new install though ITUNES that would solve this problem ..

Second option is the ITUNES STORE downloading movie TRICK but for that to work you should have less then 3gb of free space on your Iphone .....

16. Tombsy macrumors newbie

What about this then?!

Attached Files:

17. beto.silva.br, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

beto.silva.br macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem. My iPhone 7 32 Gb had 15.2 Gb taken by the iOS system. I fixed that by resetting to the factory settings by deleting everything. Then I set it up as a new iPhone and didn't restore the backup (remember to backup first). So I checked and the iOS system was down to 5.6 Gb. I erased everything one more time... Setting up to factory settings again and restored the last backup. Now the iOS system has 6.2 Gb.

I guess iOS saves the previous version so you can restore it if you wish... Or maybe it's just a bug.

18. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

No it doesn’t. Windows 10 does but not iOS.

19. beto.silva.br macrumors newbie

Maybe. But when I erased everything and reset to factory settings, my iPhone 7 32 Gb went from 7 Gb of free space to 20 Gb - after completely restoring to the last iDrive backup.

The iOS system was down from 15.2 Gb to 6.2 Gb.

20. Ruben16 macrumors newbie

Mine is taking up 101 GB
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2017 ---
    Found it, I recently recorded like 3hrs of 4K at 60fps but I was wondering why it wasn’t photos taking up all the storage but it fixed itself I guess

Attached Files:

21. ahaseeb macrumors newbie

I've the same issue. on 64 GB phone it's taking 50 GB. I backedup everything on iTunes and when i restored. It's almost the same. Any fix

22. MinniHowl macrumors newbie

MinniHowl

Hi,
    So, I'm wondering what's the normal storage for this "system" to take up? I'm living with an iPhone 6 with 16 GB and the fact that it's taking up 6,64GB of my space is quite the annoyance. I'm planning on a new phone soon, but I'm just wondering what is it supposed to be on?

23. vvapple macrumors newbie

Having the same issue on both my iPad Pro 10,5 and iPhone 7. both running iOS 11.2.1.
    System ist taking up 20+ GB.. however I noticed that it always takes a while the devices to calculate the space used for Photos, after a while the Photos GB grow and the System GB shrink. Issue or feature?

24. saudor macrumors 6502a

Definitely a feature. Apple will likely claim that too much free space causes unexpected shutdowns

25. vvapple macrumors newbie

That will be it

Seriously. I have already restored both devices and did a DFU mode reset. Downloaded the iCloud backup and after a while it started again.