Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone to Verizon Wireless? Yes, No, Maybe

• Yes

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 63.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 20 15.9%

• Total voters

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
ONE MORE OF THESE IPHONE VERIZON THREADS AND I WILL GO FN CRAZY. first off search the fn threads fo one that's alreDy there second we will never know if it will ever come to verizon un less ape tells us we will only make stupid threads like this one. And last verizons coda network is old technology and as we have seen with adobes flash appple doesn't use old tech. If and when atts exclusive contract is up it will go to networks like sprint and t-mobile that use sims. DONE

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
NO, Apple is not hurt by the whining of Verizon fanboys...and will allow the iPhone on Verizon's network when it utilizes a standard that other carriers around the world use, GSM...when the iPad shows up on Verizon's network then I'll say we're closer to that happening..but with Google trying to cozy up to AT&T I don't see it happening...I speculate that by 2012 Verizon will be ready

Uh...there is another "standard" that carriers around the world use.

IS-2000 aka CDMA

Sure, not as many carriers use it, but a little company called China Telecom with 65.45 million subscribers is CDMA along with many others.

EDIT: OH! And this whole "Google trying to cozy up to AT&T" thing you made up....stop that! You have no basis for that comment. Why do you guys make up crap? (Didn't we discuss this in a previous thread?)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
ONE MORE OF THESE IPHONE VERIZON THREADS AND I WILL GO FN CRAZY. first off search the fn threads fo one that's alreDy there second we will never know if it will ever come to verizon un less ape tells us we will only make stupid threads like this one. And last verizons coda network is old technology and as we have seen with adobes flash appple doesn't use old tech. If and when atts exclusive contract is up it will go to networks like sprint and t-mobile that use sims. DONE

Why do you say Verizon's network is old technology? What are you basing this on?

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
When they write the history books, Apple's exclusivity with ATT could well be seen as a self-defeating marketing decision.

By staying with ATT, Apple has allowed Android to gain a market foothold it might not have otherwise gotten. (Some analysts now predict that Android will surpass the iPhone in market share by 2013.)

Exclusivity has allowed RIM to continue its lead. It has even allowed Palm to stay alive long enough to start putting out GSM models, and perhaps even time to create a new one that will save it.

if iPhone was on Verizon's network, you don't think Android would still be as popular as it is?

and as far as I know Palm is as dead as fried chicken...Apple is fine everyone else is still playing "catch-up" maybe not so much with regard to Android, but most people would rather have an iPhone IMO...and Apple's innovations are being copied by RIM, Palm, and HTC and Google...I'd say that's pretty good for a company that just ventured into the realm of cellular phones three years ago

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
if iPhone was on Verizon's network, you don't think Android would still be as popular as it is?

and as far as I know Palm is as dead as fried chicken...Apple is fine everyone else is still playing "catch-up" maybe not so much with regard to Android, but most people would rather have an iPhone IMO...and Apple's innovations are being copied by RIM, Palm, and HTC and Google...I'd say that's pretty good for a company that just ventured into the realm of cellular phones three years ago

Agree with most of that, but I also agree that Apple's exclusivity gave Android a "leg up". The fact is, users that were unwilling or couldn't switch to AT&T for whatever reason, chose Android. If the iPhone were on Verizon, I honestly believe there would be fewer Android purchases.

But I don't agree that it would ever be a self-defeating marketing decision. But I also don't think it's healthy for them to stay on just one carrier either.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
not so much old, just inferior and incompatible with the device du jour...Apple currently only makes GSM iPhones...but is being courted by China Mobile to make a CDMA phone

It's not old. It's not inferior. In fact, as a voice technology it is pretty much accepted as being superior (by those in the wireless technology fields that know more about this stuff.) And as a data technology it has always been at the forefront until very recently. The ONLY missing piece is the simultaneous voice & data. That's it. ONE function. That does not make it old or inferior.

But yes, Apple only makes a GSM phone today. There is no good reason Apple couldn't make a CDMA or LTE or whatever <insert radio technology here> phone they wanted.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
To: Peter Pan

Uh...there is another "standard" that carriers around the world use.

IS-2000 aka CDMA

Sure, not as many carriers use it, but a little company called China Telecom with 65.45 million subscribers is CDMA along with many others.

EDIT: OH! And this whole "Google trying to cozy up to AT&T" thing you made up....stop that! You have no basis for that comment. Why do you guys make up crap? (Didn't we discuss this in a previous thread?)

why do you think I made it up? it's obvious...Google has forsaken verizon's CDMA N1, for AT&T's GSM network...that sounds like brown nosing to me...if Apple leaves AT&T Google will probably sell their devices through AT&T...and just because China Mobile gets a CDMA iphone dosen't gurantee that the Verizon troglodytes will get one...Google is attempting to mimic Apple's delivery method...but they can't because the major GSM provider is tied in with an exclusive contract...and just from a common sense standpoint have you ever seen Apple make a duel line of the same product? with the exception of the iPad? and by the way WHERE IS THE CDMA iPad? WHERE IS THE CDMA NEXUS 1? where are they? in Never Never land with Peter Pan? On the back of a cereal box with Count Chocula? stop dreaming and come on over to AT&T

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
It's not old. It's not inferior. In fact, as a voice technology it is pretty much accepted as being superior (by those in the wireless technology fields that know more about this stuff.) And as a data technology it has always been at the forefront until very recently. The ONLY missing piece is the simultaneous voice & data. That's it. ONE function. That does not make it old or inferior.

But yes, Apple only makes a GSM phone today. There is no good reason Apple couldn't make a CDMA or LTE or whatever <insert radio technology here> phone they wanted.

have you read the definition of inferior? that definitley applies to Verizon with regard to iPhone....and yes, Apple can make what ever it wants to...Apple could have made a tablet computer too, but instead they made iPad...

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
why do you think I made it up? it's obvious...Google has forsaken verizon's CDMA N1, for AT&T's GSM network...that sounds like brown nosing to me...if Apple leaves AT&T Google will probably sell their devices through AT&T...and just because China Mobile gets a CDMA iphone dosen't gurantee that the Verizon troglodytes will get one...Google is attempting to mimic Apple's delivery method...but they can't because the major GSM provider is tied in with an exclusive contract...and just from a common sense standpoint have you ever seen Apple make a duel line of the same product? with the exception of the iPad? and by the way WHERE IS THE CDMA iPad? WHERE IS THE CDMA NEXUS 1? where are they? in Never Never land with Peter Pan? On the back of a cereal box with Count Chocula? stop dreaming and come on over to AT&T

TROGLODYTES?!?!?! Now I know you're an idiot and not speaking from a reasonable perspective. This debate is over. You just showed your true colors and there's no reason for anybody to listen to a word you have to say.

You work for AT&T or something? I think you must. You have no more credibility here.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
My aunt is a manager of a verizon, and told me they are getting the iphone in august, for what its worth. And i honestly think it will happen. WSJ reported it, android is gaining all sorts of ground against the iphone, and wasnt att's contract ending this year? dont be suprised when it happens.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My aunt is a manager of a verizon, and told me they are getting the iphone in august, for what its worth. And i honestly think it will happen. WSJ reported it, android is gaining all sorts of ground against the iphone, and wasnt att's contract ending this year? dont be suprised when it happens.

Lmao:D
Yes, if your aunt said so then it's definetelly comming in august. :rolleyes:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Because it is abandonded by every carrier woldwide and they all switched to gsm.

It's not abandoned by every carrier, there are currently 522 million CDMA users worldwide. But all carriers are moving to newer technologies. CDMA and TDMA based GSM will both eventually be retired. Even W-CDMA and LTE will eventually be retired. It doesn't mean anything has been abandoned, it's just a natural upgrade path.

I have to admit I laughed when I read his post. Perhaps his aunt will be right? Or perhaps she's read the same articles we have that rumor a fall/winter release.

Edit: Like he said, I won't be surprised when it happens (but you will :p). I also won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Note that I didn't mention Verizon. I said any non-ATT carrier.

But sure, if the iPhone had been available on ATT, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile, then there'd have been much less reason for many people to pick other competing (and available) models as their first smartphone.

and as far as I know Palm is as dead as fried chicken...

Not yet. They're launching overseas and soon on ATT. That might give them enough sales to stay afloat.

Palm also say they're working on new models. If they put WebOS on a large touch device, or even licensed it to somebody like Dell to put on some of their new phones, Palm could do okay.

WebOS is fine; it's their CEO who can't figure out marketing as well as any kid here can. ;) I suspect Palm will dump him unless he takes a radically different direction.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
iPhone to Verizon

It is coming.
Simply put, they will go where the cash is.
AT&T has almost reached maximum penetration for the iPhone.
The only way for Apple to grow market is to go to different carriers.
So what Verizon is CDMA. They also have a huge smartphone subscriber base.

Apple can not afford to ignore a CDMA port.

Verizon, iPhone 4G, end of 2010.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
I have been hearing that the next generation of iPhone will not be coming to Verizon Wireless. Is this true?

God, I hope not. I have Verizon, and I DETEST their service. It's terrible. I have to have a higher amount of minutes on my phone, because they gouge them if I don't. I have mobile broadband through them as well, and I'm constantly getting gouged on that as well. There are months where I have to stay offline for 7-10 days because they've tacked on-1.5-2GB of random data usage. On top of that, the mobile broadband is dial-up slow, and constantly drops the connection.

I've called Verizon about these issues, and they accused me of being a liar, a music pirate, a torrenter, and a myriad of other crap. None of which is even remotely true, as I don't even go on Youtube because of the data limit.

AT&T is coming to my area in the next couple months, just as my Verizon contract is ending, and I fully intend to switch to their internet, and get an iPhone - likely a 4G.

Why anyone would hope for a Verizon iPhone is beyond me.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010

and thats why i put for what is worth after it. maybe catch up on some reading comprehension, yeah? but she is a manager of a store, so if anyone would know she would up there. i know people like you that love you some apple and at&t would just shrug it off, but that could be useful for the OP. i honestly couldnt care about it, android is the best phone OS on the market right now, im lovin my droid and couldnt see trading it off. Unless then next iphone blows me away, i most likely wont be buying it.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
and thats why i put for what is worth after it. maybe catch up on some reading comprehension, yeah? but she is a manager of a store, so if anyone would know she would up there. i know people like you that love you some apple and at&t would just shrug it off, but that could be useful for the OP. i honestly couldnt care about it, android is the best phone OS on the market right now, im lovin my droid and couldnt see trading it off. Unless then next iphone blows me away, i most likely wont be buying it.

I'm all for Verizon getting the iPhone, but to say that a store manager would know if the iPhone is coming to Verizon is EXTREMELY naive.

I used to be a store manager and a national trainer in the wireless industry. The store managers are kept in the dark when it comes to most of these things. When they do learn these things early, this is when we get the convenient leaked post on Gizmodo or Engadget stating that such and such carrier is getting X phone model....and they usually follow it up w/ a screen cap of their inventory system when it is added.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
doesnt that mean inferior?

As with any situation with many variables, we could both take that term and use the stats we want to call the other network inferior. You could say Verizon's network is inferior becuase in certain areas it's 3G speeds are slower. I could say AT&T is inferior becuase it's 3G coverage is lacking.

The point is, I don't make sweeping generalities on an entire network by picking a specific advantage on the network of my choice. It's a weak argument at best.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA

Yep. Nothing to it. Motorola did it for the RAZR for two years, made a bundle. Exact same form factor, different radio.

The technical hurdles are more than cost effective, but Apple would have to have a cooperative business partner as a carrier. Sprint or T-Mobile...maybe. Verizon...? That's a tough one. Fortunately, I think Google is helping Apple out with Verizon. Droid is this month's "iPhone killer", but Google looks to be wanting to follow Apple's business model. And with Droid/Android coming to AT&T...Verizon is running out of choices.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yep. Nothing to it. Motorola did it for the RAZR for two years, made a bundle. Exact same form factor, different radio.

The technical hurdles are more than cost effective, but Apple would have to have a cooperative business partner as a carrier. Sprint or T-Mobile...maybe. Verizon...? That's a tough one. Fortunately, I think Google is helping Apple out with Verizon. Droid is this month's "iPhone killer", but Google looks to be wanting to follow Apple's business model. And with Droid/Android coming to AT&T...Verizon is running out of choices.

Yeah, I think it's in Verizon's best interest to get the iPhone. I believe they know this as well. This is why the CEO has said they want the iPhone, it's just up to Apple. Hopefully they've dropped their pride/stupid prereqs.

If they have, it's just up to Apple. And I admit that the CDMA to LTE migration might be a sticking point but a previous poster made a good point; the rollout of LTE will not mean the removal of CDMA. A CDMA iPhone would have several years of viable marketability with a potential customer base of 522 million. And another good point was that Apple has just about saturated the AT&T user base. They will need another US carrier to continue growing their user base. Verizon is the most likely candidate because they are the strongest player in the US.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
but she is a manager of a store, so if anyone would know she would up there.

Yeh. A Verizon store manager. Definitely in the know. I'll bet Steve Jobs called her himself to clue her in.

If they have, it's just up to Apple. And I admit that the CDMA to LTE migration might be a sticking point but a previous poster made a good point; the rollout of LTE will not mean the removal of CDMA. A CDMA iPhone would have several years of viable marketability with a potential customer base of 522 million. And another good point was that Apple has just about saturated the AT&T user base. They will need another US carrier to continue growing their user base. Verizon is the most likely candidate because they are the strongest player in the US.

Apple does a complete hardware revision every year, or at least they have been. They can just build the CDMA version, scrap it in a couple of years and go to LTE with the next version.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

she will have zero knowledge about it or not any more than anyone here obviously. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.