Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When customers who are members of the iPhone Upgrade Program go to trade in their devices this fall, they will likely be able to use a Trade-in Kit that's delivered by mail rather than being forced to visit an Apple Store to purchase a new device and trade in the old one.

Mail-in Trade-in Kits, highlighted this afternoon on the MacRumors forums, have been available as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program at least since July, and perhaps even earlier, but they were not an option during the iPhone 7 launch.

appleupgradeprogrammailtradein-800x626.jpg

Based on wording on the iPhone Upgrade Program website, once a customer's new iPhone ships, Apple will send a Trade-in Kit with a prepaid shipping label to allow customers to send their current device back to Apple.

Last year, many iPhone Upgrade Program users were forced to reserve a new iPhone from a local Apple retail store due to in-store trade-in requirements, which left them with limited stock to choose from. Many customers were unhappy, perhaps prompting Apple to offer a mail-in exchange option.

With the new trade-in by mail option, iPhone Upgrade Program users may not be restricted to in-store stock this year, preventing many of the problems that surfaced last year.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile customers who are members of the iPhone Upgrade Program will still need to visit an Apple Store and will not be able to upgrade online.

Article Link: iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Able to Trade In Old Devices by Mail for iPhone X Launch

Reactions: deany and poppe

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
How do T-Mo customers, not currently part of the upgrade program, upgrade? Can we do it through the Apple Store app or do we have to go through the T-Mo website?

Reactions: jiehanzheng

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I actually prefer to use the local (nearby) Apple Store to receiving/sending stuff by mail: just so long as it shipped just as soon to get your new iPhone in the store as via mail.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
I actually got my 7Plus via the upgrade program on an ATT line but now I'm T-Mobile. If I can't upgrade the phone online, can I just purchase for a store pickup and then workout the details of the upgrade when I pickup? If my wife wants to join the program can she do the same? So I order 2 phones for pickup and deal with the IUP at the store?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I’m hoping come this Friday that Xfinity Mobile will be an eligible carrier for purchase on Apple’s website and that this upgrade program applies as well.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
What about those of us who was in the original upgrade program when the 6s came out?
We do have the option to keep the 6s and just order the new one.

Markarian421

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
SFBay
Now hopefully we'll actually be able to order an upgrade this year. Last year, since iUp customers were restricted to ordering from local store stock, and often local stores had little or no stock listed in the system for launch day, it ended up meaning iUp customers could not order a phone at all. (Unless they paid full price and bought their way out of iUp and sold the old phone, which many did.)

Reactions: poppe

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
What about those of us who was in the original upgrade program when the 6s came out?
We do have the option to keep the 6s and just order the new one.
If you bought at launch you should have recently made your 24th payment and now and own the device. You'd be starting a new account rather than exchanging. Sell the 6S.

brbttyl

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
London
I am an IUP member who just submitted credit freezes with the big 3 agencies as a security precaution against the Equifax hack. Am I going to have trouble upgrading?

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Can I do this with an off contract/ unlocked phone? Company pays for service, but I own the device.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
S
All IUP devices are unlocked. If you're new to the program, your old phone doesn't factor into the equation.[/QUOTE

So if I am T-Mobile Can I just order an ATT version online, have it sent to me and then pop in my T-Mobile SIM card? Or does Apple verify that I have an AT&T plan?

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I am an IUP member who just submitted credit freezes with the big 3 agencies as a security precaution against the Equifax hack. Am I going to have trouble upgrading?

Probably. I'm also considering a credit freeze, but was going to wait until tomorrow to see what ordering/trade-in dates are, etc.

I'm not sold on an "X" yet - I love my rose gold 256 7+. Also that copper color is kinda hideous to me. It'll be interesting to see what is revealed tomorrow though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.