Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Actor0209

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
I was probably not the only one, but I wrote an email to Apple expressing my displeasure and suggested a program similar to the Express Repair option. I actually got a call back from senior executive assistant and I am happy to see this program going in place!

I did the same and got the same result! So happy to see this come.

Reactions: techdude13

wolfwil233

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan through AT&T. Does anyone know if I'll be able to keep my plan and also purchase the new iphone through Apple as opposed to AT&T?
Thanks

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
So if I am T-Mobile Can I just order an ATT version online, have it sent to me and then pop in my T-Mobile SIM card? Or does Apple verify that I have an AT&T plan?

The issue is with T-Mobile's terrible billing system, Apple can't verify accounts at all which is why you have to go to a store if you're doing a payment plan. You can buy a full price T-Mobile phone and have it shipped to you.

Reactions: TropN

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
This is how my upgrades have worked in the past in Australia. I contact my phone dealer (works with one of the major carriers) who arranges a phone, that gets shipped to me and I post the old phone back to the carrier - my mother is not happy about the annual upgrade as it means she doesn't get my old phone as frequently...

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Is this available to customers without a yearly renewing apple plan as well?
AppleCare ? Yes, AppleCare started on new phone and part of payment.
[doublepost=1505171838][/doublepost]
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan through AT&T. Does anyone know if I'll be able to keep my plan and also purchase the new iphone through Apple as opposed to AT&T?
Thanks
Yes. I have been doing the same.

wolfwil233

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
AppleCare ? Yes, AppleCare started on new phone and part of payment.
[doublepost=1505171838][/doublepost]
Yes. I have been doing the same.
Sweet. Do you know if that's to finance the phone too? I thought last time I upgraded (iPhone 6) Apple couldn't keep the plan and I had to go to an AT&T store.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Would it be possible to buy the x outright and pickup at the store then enroll/trade in my 7+ at that time? I could use the credit towards the purchase... thanks

Mackneezie

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Winchester, KY
Sweet. Do you know if that's to finance the phone too? I thought last time I upgraded (iPhone 6) Apple couldn't keep the plan and I had to go to an AT&T store.

Doing the iUP doesn’t change your AT&T plan at all. It’s completely separate. Just think of it as leasing an unlocked phone from Apple because that’s literally all it is.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
They use Equifax, reportedly...
Not sure about "freeze", but I had a fraud alert active several years back when I was buying a vehicle. It made the loan application a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Jakob Knutsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2017
Houtson, TX
Umm.... Why do T-Mobile customers have to go to an Apple Store in person? I really don't see any reason for it when you can order a T-Mobile iPhone through Apple's website now and have it shipped to you.

Mackneezie

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Winchester, KY
So are you guys thinking we will be able to (hypothetically, since stock will be so “scarce”) pre-order Friday and we would have the phone on launch day? Trying to figure out if I want to take off work completely or just go to the store and try to get one. I am on the iUP plan now.

bentgate

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
I have a small crack on the chin of my iPhone 7 (I blame Apple's stupid bottomless case, whatever). Will I be forced to fix the screen before doing my upgrade? I'm hoping they just let it slide.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I have a small crack on the chin of my iPhone 7 (I blame Apple's stupid bottomless case, whatever). Will I be forced to fix the screen before doing my upgrade? I'm hoping they just let it slide.
If you are in the IUP you have AppleCare and they just charge you the $29 for a screen fix or $99 for anything else.

This assumes they decide it needs to be fixed. I don't know what the perfection threshold is!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, so I bought my iPhone via Apple iPhone upgrade program on AT&T, since then I swapped to T-Mobile.

I don’t see why carrier matters, can’t they just ship unlocked phones with no sim for upgrades?

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
If you bought at launch you should have recently made your 24th payment and now and own the device. You'd be starting a new account rather than exchanging. Sell the 6S.

This is my situation exactly. My 24th and last payment is in a couple of weeks. I plan to order the new iPhone X. So, would I just start a new upgrade program? I plan to use the app so not sure if I checkout with the upgrade program or choose 'upgrade' from the start and buy my phone that way. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Thanks!!

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
This is my situation exactly. My 24th and last payment is in a couple of weeks. I plan to order the new iPhone X. So, would I just start a new upgrade program? I plan to use the app so not sure if I checkout with the upgrade program or choose 'upgrade' from the start and buy my phone that way. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Thanks!!
You are starting with a new 'Upgrade Program' not 'Upgrading' your phone. Tricky semantic difference but critical!

Edit: to be clear, this is only because he has paid off the loan totally with 24 payments.

The rest of us are Upgrading since we've paid off 12 payments, doing this usually every year.

Reactions: Kfc179

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Having it sent to you is the best option unless you crave human interaction.

Absolutely! But this wasn't an option last year. I didn't mind because I got to the Apple store at 6am and was 1st in the "pre-ordered" line. Store opened at 8 and I had my phone and was back to work at 9am. Still praying that I can get it shipped to my office though. Nothing better then seeing our daily UPS truck pulling up iPhone delivery days.

Reactions: leesweet

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unfortunately, T-Mobile customers who are members of the iPhone Upgrade Program will still need to visit an Apple Store and will not be able to upgrade online.

Just curious... anyone know why TMob is singled out here? I mean this is an Apple program. Why would carrier matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.