iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Able to Trade In Old Devices by Mail for iPhone X Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When customers who are members of the iPhone Upgrade Program go to trade in their devices this fall, they will likely be able to use a Trade-in Kit that's delivered by mail rather than being forced to visit an Apple Store to purchase a new device and trade in the old one.

Mail-in Trade-in Kits, highlighted this afternoon on the MacRumors forums, have been available as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program at least since July, and perhaps even earlier, but they were not an option during the iPhone 7 launch.

[​IMG]

Based on wording on the iPhone Upgrade Program website, once a customer's new iPhone ships, Apple will send a Trade-in Kit with a prepaid shipping label to allow customers to send their current device back to Apple.

Last year, many iPhone Upgrade Program users were forced to reserve a new iPhone from a local Apple retail store due to in-store trade-in requirements, which left them with limited stock to choose from. Many customers were unhappy, perhaps prompting Apple to offer a mail-in exchange option.

With the new trade-in by mail option, iPhone Upgrade Program users may not be restricted to in-store stock this year, preventing many of the problems that surfaced last year.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile customers who are members of the iPhone Upgrade Program will still need to visit an Apple Store and will not be able to upgrade online.

Article Link: iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Able to Trade In Old Devices by Mail for iPhone X Launch

2. anson42 macrumors regular

As I am participating in the upgrade program, I hope the trade-in kit is indeed how I can conduct the iPhone X transaction!

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

4. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I was very excited until I saw the last paragraph. Oh well. Happy to see Apple is improving the program none the less.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I'm just keeping my 6 plus as a spare, it's old and the screen is cracked.

Plan on ordering an iPhone X full amount out of pocket

6. matthew23 macrumors regular

How do T-Mo customers, not currently part of the upgrade program, upgrade? Can we do it through the Apple Store app or do we have to go through the T-Mo website?

7. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Is this available to customers without a yearly renewing apple plan as well?

8. Ted13 macrumors 6502

I actually prefer to use the local (nearby) Apple Store to receiving/sending stuff by mail: just so long as it shipped just as soon to get your new iPhone in the store as via mail.

9. dancefreak macrumors regular

I actually got my 7Plus via the upgrade program on an ATT line but now I'm T-Mobile. If I can't upgrade the phone online, can I just purchase for a store pickup and then workout the details of the upgrade when I pickup? If my wife wants to join the program can she do the same? So I order 2 phones for pickup and deal with the IUP at the store?

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I’m hoping come this Friday that Xfinity Mobile will be an eligible carrier for purchase on Apple’s website and that this upgrade program applies as well.

11. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

I was probably not the only one, but I wrote an email to Apple expressing my displeasure and suggested a program similar to the Express Repair option. I actually got a call back from senior executive assistant and I am happy to see this program going in place!

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Having it sent to you is the best option unless you crave human interaction.

13. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

What about those of us who was in the original upgrade program when the 6s came out?
    We do have the option to keep the 6s and just order the new one.

14. dancefreak macrumors regular

Unless your carrier is T-Mobile.

15. Markarian421 macrumors member

Markarian421

Now hopefully we'll actually be able to order an upgrade this year. Last year, since iUp customers were restricted to ordering from local store stock, and often local stores had little or no stock listed in the system for launch day, it ended up meaning iUp customers could not order a phone at all. (Unless they paid full price and bought their way out of iUp and sold the old phone, which many did.)

16. dancefreak macrumors regular

If you bought at launch you should have recently made your 24th payment and now and own the device. You'd be starting a new account rather than exchanging. Sell the 6S.

17. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

As great as T-Mobile is, upgrading is a pain in the ass.

18. brbttyl macrumors member

brbttyl

I am an IUP member who just submitted credit freezes with the big 3 agencies as a security precaution against the Equifax hack. Am I going to have trouble upgrading?

19. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

20. modemthug macrumors regular

I'm 2.5 hours away from the nearest Apple Store so this is awesome

21. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Can I do this with an off contract/ unlocked phone? Company pays for service, but I own the device.

22. brbttyl macrumors member

brbttyl

They use Equifax, reportedly...

23. dancefreak macrumors regular

All IUP devices are unlocked. If you're new to the program, your old phone doesn't factor into the equation.

24. matthew23 macrumors regular

S

25. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Probably. I'm also considering a credit freeze, but was going to wait until tomorrow to see what ordering/trade-in dates are, etc.

I'm not sold on an "X" yet - I love my rose gold 256 7+. Also that copper color is kinda hideous to me. It'll be interesting to see what is revealed tomorrow though. :)