iPhone Upgrade Program Pre-Approvals Now Available Ahead of iPhone X Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. BriSpe macrumors regular

Don't know if this question was already asked but will there be a limit on how many one person can preorder?

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

So in my scenario I already sold my iPhone 7 Plus privately. I got preapproved for the X, but does anyone know when I go to order on Friday if they’re going to tell me to turn off “Find My iPhone”?

In store it’s required of course, but I hope it isn’t required online because obviously the person who now owns it has it turned on.

Anyone that ordered an iPhone 8/8 Plus with an iPhone Upgrade Program upgrade have any idea?

3. muxbox macrumors member

Demand will be high? More like supply will be low, pull the other one Apple

4. hoon2999 macrumors regular

Unless you are starting new separate loan for iPhone X or paid previous iphone 7 in full, you need to turn-in the device. Otherwise, they won’t bother

5. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

I know; those huge lines for Super Mario Odyssey.....

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If u are just signing up for IUP then you don’t have any obligation with ur iPhone 7. U own it. If ur upgrading, and already using IUP, then u will not be able to activate the new phone without the old one. And you’ll have to pay off whatever’s left of the 24 payments before the new program will kick in.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I don’t remember what option I picked. I do remember talking to an advisor and then being put on hold for 15 minutes while they connected me to a different advisor,

8. potentmf macrumors regular

potentmf

Are you talking about under the program or just regular preordering on Friday?

9. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Getting the digital copy ... i hope the connection is good

10. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

You’ll be fine. Find My iPhone is tied to the Apple ID... if it’s on under someone else’s they could careless. Also, since you no longer have the phone you’ll just be required to pay off the original loan when they realize you don’t have a device to trade in (either in store or via the mail).. so if you’re reserving for pickup in store, get ready to pay off the loan in full before they activate the new phone... if by mail, you’ll get a window in which the full amount on the old loan becomes due.

11. BriSpe macrumors regular

Regular

12. tallflguy macrumors newbie

Dumb question. I'm in the Upgrade program. I went through the pre-approval process for the X, but I still have a outstanding balance on my 7 Plus. When I turn in the phone, does the current loan goes away or do I have two loans?

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Gracias. That’s how I thought it would go. I think you were also the one who responded when I mentioned paying in full for the X and then going in to return it / rebuy it under the Upgrade Program. I agree, not the best solution for everyone. Some stores might not do that. It would have to be returned open box and then sell that same one so no one can reserve it. The inventory team would have to allow that.

I don’t have to turn in the device. What if after ordering the X, the 7 Plus I’m supposed to trade ingets stolen? I’m just required to pay off the balance of It. I got $600 for the phone and my Citizens One balance is $457 so I’m good.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2017 ---
    The current loan will get closed out when they receive the phone that you’re trading in. 2 loans will be open until they receive that 7 Plus. Personally I sold my 7 Plus privately because it’s worth more than the balance I had left to pay.

14. potentmf macrumors regular

potentmf

That's a good question. I've never pre ordered an iPhone before, but when I have purchased items that were in high demand, I was never able to get multiple. You may have to use different cards, which you will then need to login on multiple devices just to get your orders through.

15. emdee macrumors newbie

I talked with Apple support. Seems this issue occurred since I switched plans after the upgrade plan signup. The rep confirmed my eligibility through serial number and IMEI, and couldn't provide the reason for the error. She suggested I wait until 10/27 to order off of the Apple website.

16. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Good thing I preordered it. My issue is that I'm going to have to be in line for SMO and try to preorder the iPhone at the same time....

17. macduke Suspended

macduke

18. roki1958 macrumors newbie

roki1958

I called Apple about not being able to use the “return by mail” feature if i’m On T-Mobile. They confirmed that if you’re a T-Mobile customer you must turn your old phone in at the store. So much for T-Mobile being customer friendly.

I was able to get preapproved yesterday. Initially I was declined but that’s because I had locked my credit reports due to the equifax hack. I unlocked my report and got approved. Not sure what will happen when I order on the 27th.

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hmm, I paid off my phone early this year. On the apple app it's showing I have an upgrade eligible, but it's not asking me for a credit check. IN the fine print it says a credit check may not be required depending on your history with Citizens. Am I ok to preorder on the 27th? I'd hate to be held up by a credit check when these will be sold out likely in seconds.

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Try to get preapproved, if you can't than you have to start a new upgrade plan on launch night, or pay another way.

21. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

So you come up with a fix yet? Still not working for me.

22. spinedoc77, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hmm, I'm not seeing any option for that. When I'm in the app it shows my line is eligible for an upgrade. I do the checkout process all the way until the end where the continue is greyed out because it's not launch day yet. I've even tried checking out through both Apple or Verizon's payment plans.

23. benwolfe macrumors newbie

Haha I have been trying for over 14 hours to no avail dude. I first tweeted at verizon customer support and they said it was because there were too many phones on my account that are on a monthly plan. I told them that makes no sense. Today I talked to a support rep on the verizon website and they said that no verizon customers are able to do the pre approval and that I am eligible and will have to wait until the 27th. All of this makes no sense to me since this is a loan separate from my bill with Verizon since it is handled through Apple/ Citizen one. Have you found anything out? I am considering just skipping the upgrade out of frustration/ getting the 8plus/ cancelling my verizon account altogether. Everyone around me has been able to get through the pre approval through other carriers.

24. rangers97 macrumors newbie

rangers97

You are getting garbage response from Verizon. Ask to be escalated. I did pre approval on Verizon for my wife's 8+. I did pre approval yesterday on X. Smooth as silk. Something else is up

25. benwolfe macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice =) I will do that
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2017 ---
    still stuck