iPhone Upgrade Program Pre-Approvals Now Available Ahead of iPhone X Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No hard pull if ur already in the program.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2017 ---
    If u have an 830, ur credit will NOT be affected by some ridiculously small loan for a phone.
    Something has to be wrong with ur credit. Maybe u don’t realize it. They only ask for a deposit when ur credit is not necessarily bad, but not great either. I think that’s the ONLY reason they ask for a deposit. If u know it’s wrong I would get on credit karma or request a credit report from one of the big 3.

2. Mac Tyson macrumors member

Mac Tyson

I think it’s just a soft pull because my credit monitoring service didn’t alert me of a hard pull credit by anyone.

3. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

So I'm still screwed.

I doing the pre-approval on the device.

When I get to the confirm carrier screen (not to loan yet) it says "

Verizon Wireless may require a deposit"

No one at Apple , Verizon or CitizenOne knows y.

I'm SOL.

4. HylianKnight macrumors regular

Double check this. I had to enter my full ss#

5. sarugby4life macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the process when doing multiple pre order pre-approvals from the same phone? I see that I am now ready to preorder per the Discover page within the app and see both my desired upgrade and my wife’s. I’m wondering if the checkout process will be one phone at a time on Friday. After speaking with Apple it sounds like this may be the case.

6. bigcat macrumors 6502

Also wondering about this. Can someone shed light on what the checkout looks like? (especially when you have two phones pre-approved).

7. Cosmosent macrumors regular

Cosmosent

Two things the General Public should be aware of:

1.) iPhone list prices are up this year primarily because Apple has a customer base on the hook for annual upgrades ... or at least those who "could" upgrade on an annual upgrade ... if this wasn't the case, then list prices for both the 8 / 8+ family AND the X would ALL probably be at least $100 cheaper !

NOT a single so-called Professional Analyst has detected this very simple fact !

2.) Essential's move today could trigger Apple to do the same with the 8 / 8+ sometime in Nov or Dec. ... probably NOT a $200 drop by Apple, but I can see it being reduced by $100 for each by year's end !

Both Samsung & Google are probably considering a similar move to what Essential just did today.

We could finally see a return to "reasonable" list prices !

8. carpleror macrumors 6502

MBP doesn't come with Apple Care. Also, iPhone X Geek Bench marks are showing it's performance is comparable to a MBP.

9. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

MBP doesn't fit in your pocket! :D

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lol, the Essential phone not selling anything and slashing price will mean nothing to Apple or Samsung.

11. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

This went surprisingly smooth for me. I got the pre-approval with no hassle and didn't have to unfreeze any of my crew reports. Yay. Now I still have to get the screen repaired (been cracked for a couple months) on Thursday. Hopefully that goes smooth as well.

12. MacSTi macrumors newbie

Anyone hear about this? Wont be able to pre-order for in store pickup? This is from a chat I just had on Apple.com

"So I double checked and they also said that the iPhone X pre orders will only be available for delivery, you can purchase on November 3rd and choose this as a store pickup option then! I do apologize again for the inconvenience!"

13. Guda.FL macrumors regular

Looking at the price again, hard to get over that monthly hump

14. Sam_S macrumors regular

15. Sneakerp macrumors member

I am getting this too. What's the fix? Apple has no clue.

I am getting the seem message and been on phone with apple for almost two hours with no solution.

16. quinneverett macrumors newbie

Not really. Thought your carrier may have a very similar version that doesn't include Apple Care for cheaper too!

17. jmlg macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a government account through Verizon? The terms last year stated that these accounts weren’t ellegiable, but there isn’t any such verbiage this year.

I’m trying to figure out why the app can’t find my account.

18. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

I got my 256GB Space Grey set up, but I hesitated when I saw it was $10 more a month than my 7 Plus. This is the first time I've hesitated with something like this, but that much a month just seems like a lot. Maybe It's me getting up there in age, but it might come to the point where I stick with these longer than I used to just due to the price...

19. KingCoffee macrumors member

KingCoffee

I ran into that as well, then noticed it has an option to apply again, which I did. Success.

20. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

Sounds completely bogus. Think about it, Apple wants people who preordered to be able to pick up their shiny little phone at the store to create buzz... if they only mailed them out, that doesn’t create much hype. In most major cities the news media will be all over the Apple stores... they want preorders picking the stuff up... it makes for good publicity.

Also, there hasn’t been a single official word saying that they wouldn’t be doing reservations for in store pickup... and if that were the case, they would be shutting out an entire carrier’s clients (T-Mobile) since the activation process has to occur in the store.

21. benwolfe macrumors newbie

Same here - my nightmare

22. Rašhaud macrumors newbie

Rašhaud

Verizon pin is usually your birth year. I have ppl have trouble with that ALL THE TIME.

23. H.E. Pennypacker Suspended

H.E. Pennypacker

Mine was the same. For some reason it was the last 4 of my wife’s SS# even though I’m the primary holder. Strange.

24. Stu69 macrumors newbie

Stu69

25. dmr2112 macrumors newbie

dmr2112

I don't really think it's any huge advantage. It's pre-approving the loan for payments which you don't have to do with any other carrier plan or at least I know most don't have that with Verizon. Then the pre-approval that you're eligible to upgrade that device on your carrier which is 3 brief pieces of information. If you have the iPhone X save in your favorites on your account already now it will be nearly just as easy. Just depends on how fast you are tapping and typing. It'll be just as tapping that favorite(confirming full payment or carrier payment plan) verifying the upgrade typing three pieces of info to type(#, zip, and last 4) and confirmation.

The only think I've recognized is the favorites doesn't save your carrier payment plan options so you have to tap on device storage amount and select that from the favorite. Otherwise it should be pretty fast still(besides the fact millions will be trying to pre-order at the same time ha).
    I think it's more the fastest people tapping. They really don't have a huge advantage beyond carrier upgrade confirmation being done.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2017 ---

It's more than just the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple though. In the past the majority of consumers did the 2 year contract plan paying a discounted price for their phones ($200-$400 or so). Now the big thing across the US at least is paying monthly for devices(Flat device fee(~$20) + $15-$50 a month pending device and storage size). With the ability to upgrade next year if you trade in your device or pay it off. People trading in means they at most are paying 400-500 for their phones that goes to Apple or phone makers then the carrier gets them again to be sold as used. Most carriers are pushing that over paying it outright. It keeps people in more of a constant loop of paying monthly every year more often than not a lot more too vs a 2 year contract where most people would actually wait 2, 3 even 4 years before upgrading as long as their phone still worked. Which was $40 a month permanently vs $20 + device cost(iPhones are $35-$48).