iPhone Upgrade Programme coming to UK tomorrow.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Totalkharnage, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

One of my sources has confirmed Apple will be announcing that the iPhone Upgrade Programme will be coming to the UK along with the iPhone 7.

Apple will confirm tomorrow at its keynote.

For those unaware of what this is, it allows you to pay a monthly fee over 24 months and upgrade to a new iPhone every 12 months. You also get AppleCare plus included.

Here's a good FAQ that explains how it works http://m.imore.com/iphone-upgrade-program-faq-everything-you-need-know

2. Totalkharnage thread starter macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

People in the UK might be interested in this. Going to be more tempting to get the iPhone 7 rather than wait around u tip next years big upgrade with Thai if you know you can pick that one up.

3. dan-K macrumors regular

I really hope this is true, I've been between two minds if I should buy the 7+ (considering I'm coming from a 6S+), but the launch of the upgrade programme in the UK would seal the deal for me. How sure is your source?

Also, if I were to buy a brand new phone using the programme, what would I pay? I assume a fee for the phone + 1st months contract cost?

4. Rockbird86 macrumors regular

Rockbird86

Could be interesting. Would certainly be a change from paying though the nose for a pitiful data allowance from Vodafone. I'd rather pay Apple and then pay £20 p/m for data on principle than give it all to vodafone.

5. bigscotal, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

So would this be available to buy your new phone "SIM free"?

I have a SIM only tariff with Three that I'm happy with, but more importantly am still under contract so cannot cancel. If I could use the upgrade programme to effectively just buy the handset, then it might potentially be of interest.

6. jeddouglas macrumors member

If that is true it will be great news to have that as an option. Any ideas of what the price will be?

7. dan-K macrumors regular

I'm in a similar position, but my Three contract is a 1 month rolling plan. I will miss the ability to use my phone abroad at no extra cost though... Fingers crossed Three are one of the carriers Apple have partnered up with...

8. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I've been hoping for this since last year. My current 6s is promised to a friend - this would mean I can buy the 7 without overloading my credit card & avoids the rigmarole of sending the old phone off to recyclers in future.

9. daymouse macrumors regular

I've really wanted this too

Currently debt free and would normally stick it on an interest free creit card and pay over 12 months save taking it out of savings. However looking at houses at the moment to buy so by doing it this way i would avoid having to declare the debt on the mortgage application.

Crazy that if its on a credit card they wont to know about it but if its an agreement like this they aren't bothered and dont want to know about it.

10. LKN macrumors 6502a

This is very interesting .

For those wanting the 7 and definately wanting to get iphone 8 next year this would be worth doing.

Those keeping the 6s could do it on the 8 next year.

Id like to see what prices are first and do some calculations as im still in contract till feb next year

11. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this is true as I'd definitely choose this route.

12. rockypee123 macrumors newbie

I own my iPhone 6S+ outright but I'm on a SIM only contract with 3. Is this upgrade programme tying you into a contract with minutes / data etc or is it just for the unlocked phone? I'm definitely doing the upgrade program if it's just for the phone

13. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

The FAQs over at iMore mention about continuing with your current carrier plan so I take that to mean you can use your current SIMO tariff and if you fancy a change at the end of the minimum term you serve that notice and are free to sign up elsewhere.

14. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Just the phone. You need to take Applecare though.

15. Braddrum macrumors regular

Braddrum

I think I'm sold then.

Will this work out to a similar monthly cost of O2 say £25.00 a month?

16. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

If its the same as the USA, its the cost of the phone, plus Applecare+ divided by 24.

17. dan-K macrumors regular

So let me get this straight.

The upgrade programme is just for the phone, and doesn't include a contract? So if I chose to use the upgrade programme, I would just be paying per month for the phone and would need to take out (or use an exisiting) sim plan? I was under the impression the upgrade programme included both but maybe I'm mistaken.

18. Braddrum macrumors regular

Braddrum

Yes just the phone. Then get a sim only deal.

19. Azzin macrumors 68040

The monthly price includes Applecare +.

20. rockypee123 macrumors newbie

Spot on. Definitely doing this for me and the girlfriend then. Selling the 6S+ 64GB and her 16GB 6 should pay for a good few months! Happy days.

21. jeddouglas macrumors member

So based on 6s prices, and base 16gb model the cost per month in the UK would be £27.83 ((£539+£129)/24), then you would have to add a SIM only deal on top of that - am I correct?

22. Azzin macrumors 68040

You are.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

This is great news for savvy consumers in the UK who must own the latest and greatest devices.

24. youknownow macrumors regular

do they charge interest on this? like they do on the pay monthly feature? is there a minimum amount of time you can have it for?

25. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

Hmmm would have considered this but I enjoy being on my £20 for 30 days rolling SIM too much