Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
when the Treo 750 was being tested in the wild there was one of those speed test sites that showed a log of two 750 testing their utms speeds. Maybe one the iPhone people also went on their to test the edge speed or wifi speed of the iphone? Maybe we can check?>

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Interesting. I wonder why it says it's running Mozilla? Do you think this means more open app development?

Safari is based on Mozilla. So mozilla = safari.

Those guys at Apple are cheeky basts. Cheekys devious teasing basts...

(that's my new favourite word!)

edibiase

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
Safari is based on Mozilla. So mozilla = safari.

Safari's rendering engine is based on KHTML, not Mozilla. The "Mozilla" in the user agent string is somewhat of a tradition; many browsers include it to look like Netscape to unsophisticated scripts and servers. (See the Wikipedia User agent article for more details.)

cannonball

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2006
Great...

As if they didn't already think we were a bunch of nerds.... Now they see that we see them seeing us, and they know that we know it! Oh dear...

But for real; good to know its up and out. I suppose this is only after FCC approval?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Its a browser. Its a smartphone....who cares. :rolleyes: Good god next someone is going to wet their pants when someone shows that they received an e-mail from an iPhone.....*screams like a little girl and swoons* Be still by beating heart.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Anyone else just see this as a piece of viral marketing? All of a sudden, there's a story where there wasn't one before, at little or no cost? Piquing people's interest, banging the drums?

I'm a little tired of it before it really starts.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Anyone else just see this as a piece of viral marketing? All of a sudden, there's a story where there wasn't one before, at little or no cost? Piquing people's interest, banging the drums?

I'm a little tired of it before it really starts.

I like drums. Bring on the iPhone!

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Arn is Steve Jobs in disguise.

I've always suspected it, and now my theories are proven.

/Puts on tin-foil hat

Try reading my thoughts now, Steve! Ha ha!!

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
i got slated as childish and niave in another thread just recently for suggesting that apple searched these threads and were watching all the rumors sites

to the opinionated **** who accused me of being such a small minded idiot, get it right up u

i sure hope they found no more bugs on there as its getting close....

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
This falls into the "I don't really know the answer so I'll just make one up" category.

I do beg your pardon, but I was quite certain that Firefox and Safari shared the same basic engine... little things like the fact that the save password dialogue boxs look identical.

jmeyoung

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
Atlanta
I do beg your pardon, but I was quite certain that Firefox and Safari shared the same basic engine... little things like the fact that the save password dialogue boxs look identical.

Safari uses WebKit - http://webkit.org/ - "WebKit's HTML and JavaScript code began as a branch of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE."

Firefox, made by the Mozilla Foundation, uses the Gecko engine. - http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko - "Gecko is the name of the layout engine developed by the Mozilla Foundation."

They are completely different engines.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Most companies that care what their customers think browse forums.

While Apple could look at the Mac Mini thread, why should they? People saying one thing and do another is something entirely different. You have all these people asking for the Mac Mini to be saved, but yet when it comes to sales, it is disappointing. If they sold plenty of them, then it would stick around. I saw quite a few posts of people stating that when they have enough money saved, they would buy one. The Mini has been out for quite awhile. If it takes that long to save the money, then that is why it is being discontinued. The market that is buying it is small and at the extreme low-end and people are buying laptops or the iMac.

Well, the only reason I think Apple should save the Mini, is that it is truly a disposable Mac. Contrary to what some users have said about there being a veritable "headless" Mac, how headless do they want it?! The Mini doesn't include a display, therefore it's a "headless Mac". Had the Mini been available, with a Core 2 Duo processor at the time I bought my G5 in 2004, I would have gotten it. I don't use Mathematica, I don't use any Pro apps, not even iMovie! I only use it for web browsing, the occasional letter, and burning CDs and DVDs; for these uses a G5 is OVERKILL. I was looking at getting a top of the line Mini when it was revised, and replace it every few years or so, but keep my beautiful Apple Display. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.