iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the release of a new version of iOS, there are typically complaints about battery problems, issues with apps, and minor bugs, and the launch of iOS 11 has proven to be no exception.

On reddit, numerous users who have installed iOS 11 claim to be experiencing much slower app performance, app crashes, and other similar issues. The initial reddit post calls launching apps "an absolute chore," a sentiment echoed by dozens of additional comments.

[​IMG]
    Users are complaining that their phones "just get stuck on apps" and that a hard reset is the only way to fix the problem. Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Safari, and more are all affected apps. Sometimes, apps refuse to open just launching from the Home screen, while at other times, apps launched from Notifications won't work, and there are issues with Bluetooth.
    The Now Playing widget in the Control Center is also a chief complaint, with multiple users unable to control songs on Spotify and Apple Music using the widget, and some users say their battery life has taken a serious hit since updating.

Not all customers who upgraded to iOS 11 are seeing these issues but based on the reddit thread, it seems a fair number of people are having problems. App updates and subsequent iOS 11 updates are likely to resolve these issues over time, but customers who want an immediate fix can try some of the methods reported to work on reddit

Some reddit users claim that resetting their settings (Settings --> General ---> Reset --> Reset All Settings) fixed all of the app issues, while others have restored their devices and set it up as new to solve the problem. Others have backed up and restored and had better results. From one reddit user on backup and restore:
    Multiple iPhone models appear to be affected, with redditors reporting issues on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and other earlier models. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus do not appear to be affected, and there are few complaints about iPad Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11

2. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

This simply can’t be true. Apple’s software is perfection. Those complaining might have mixed up Touchwiz with iOS 11.
    /s

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

wonder if it's only affecting users that were using beta versions? i used the beta software on my iPad Pro and upgraded to GM, experienced issues. but my phone 7+ went from iOS 10 -> final iOS 11 experienced no issues.

4. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Spotify on my 5s has always taken at least 10 seconds to boot up. Now it can take 15, and I measured this with a timer. It's ridiculous.

Also, I was charging my phone in the car and it was at around 70%, but when I unplugged it after a half-hour drive it went to 1%. Then I plugged it back in, 64%.

Could be because it's 94 degrees here, or maybe not...I also updated yesterday.

5. gruversm macrumors member

gruversm

Your phone is reindexing. Relax and let it do its job.

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

My iphone certainly doesn't keep connected to Wifi.. drops all the time even under an excellent signal. Never had this issue prior to ios11.

7. jonmspencer macrumors newbie

jonmspencer

Planned obsolescence? Yeah, iOS11 is super slow. I love my iPhone, but seems like a sales tactic.

8. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Y’all should know this by now just wait for 11.1

9. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

I blame the Russians
    but serious...I see some "sticking" when doing things...a 2-3 second phase and then a frantic catch up...like in typing. Something is not finishing its task and then handing off

10. citi macrumors 65816

citi

It's re-indexing. The first 2 days my phone was super slow, now it's moving much faster. Of course, maybe I'm just used to the slowness now. :)

11. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

haven't really noticed slow downs but battery life on the other hand has been less than ideal...i keep hoping it'll get better...almost a week in now and I'm still waiting

12. 576316 macrumors 601

Whilst I’d rather preach about planned obscene, it does seem to be something about Apple’s OTA update system that’s not efficiently updating the OS. Restoring would seemingly fix the hashed update by simply doing it again but better this time.

Maybe an area that requires Apple’s attention.

Ps. Let’s also not forget that battery life is now total garbage, but that was present in the GM too.

13. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

A sales tactic that affects their second newest phone that they're still selling? Think about it, man :)

I noticed the same thing on my 7, and resetting settings *did* help. But it still crops up. It's definitely some kind of bug that needs fixing- come on iOS 11.01.

14. abrooks macrumors 6502a

For a week?

15. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

There is a delay on my iPhone 7+ when pressing the home button. It is very consistent so it seems to have been programmed. Perhaps it is designed to manage the expectations for how quickly you can go back home on the iPhone X.

16. MaximizedAction macrumors member

My 6s is kinda snappier overall, but I feel like the battery life might've gone down a bit. Not sure tho, as I haven't measured it properly.

Meanwhile, my iPad Mini 4 has become laggy and stuttery - for example when switching apps, going back to home, trying to open apps from Notifications that sometimes don't register my full swipe to the right.

I'll remain hopeful for now that they'll eventually fix some of the issues after a couple of updates.

17. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

I have a 6s, 16GB. I’ve tested iOS 11 since it’s release at WWDC and I’ve had all the log files clog this device up, but I still didn’t have any issues with stuttering and opening apps after the second beta. I did a clean install of the production release and performance is great.

Doing a clean install and setting up as a new device is a pain but it will help you clean out your device, especially if you always do OTA updates. And yes, backups get corrupted. Restore and set up as a new iPhone. Don’t be lazy.

18. Ds6778 macrumors 6502

Ds6778

Lmao at the “reindexing” stop making excuses for apples lack of attention to detail.

19. Pixelspark macrumors newbie

Pixelspark

Experienced this too on a 6S. Noticed that a lot of crash reports in Privacy->Analytics related to the mediaserverd process crashing. Then chose 'Reset network settings' from the settings app, and everything has been buttery smooth since!

So looks like bodged network settings make mediaserverd crash, which in turn causes every app that needs to play audio/media/system sounds (basically everything) to get stuck waiting.

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

I was so close to installing when it came out (even though I know by now to always wait for a .x release) as I thought "Oh it's had months of beta, it's fine!" I held out due to the exchange 2016 bug with Mail App. So glad I waited...

21. bmelson0412 Suspended

Finally, now people know how I feel still using an iPhone 5 with 10.3.3 on it!! Ha!

22. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I have had ZERO negative issues with iOS 11. I'm running it on an iPhone 7 Plus and an iPad Pro 10.5.

23. Hberg macrumors member

I have the 7 Plus, and I am not noticing any issues after updating to iOS 11.

24. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

I had terrible performance with my 6s even before iOS 11, mostly lag and choppy animations. I though updating would fix this but became worse. I let it for 1 week to finish indexing just to make sure it wasn't that. Nothing changed so today I did a back up, reset and restore. It took it 3 hours to download everything back but man, it feels like I bought it today. I forgot my iPhone was this fast.

25. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

Most apps are taking twice as long to load on my 6 Plus. It isn't too bad, but it is quite noticeable when an app that used to launch in just a few seconds is now taking ten or more. It even happens in the phone app when I click on someone's number and there is a three or four second delay before the phone starts dialing.