Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1508717241][/doublepost]iOS 11 is the worst update in the history of iPhones. Apple is drastically going downhill and dumbing themselves down to everyone else's level to simply "keep up" with the industry instead of being the trend setters like they used to be. iOS 11 has had more updates in the first month than any other launch. Not only has it killed battery life due to new features (which clearly shows the people working at Apple have their heads up their asses and are not actually testing their software before releasing it) but it is choking applications backwards and forwards. It's making it impossible to quickly do anything. Everything is slow. Apps freeze on a daily basis. It takes five seconds for an image capture to load into a text message. It's truly an abomination to the iPhone.

Has anyone thought to themselves that Apple has done this on purpose to force users to upgrade to the terrible non-innovative iPhone 8? Or shall we call the 8 the 7s? I've used Apple products since day one. Since i was born we had an Apple computer in our house. We were lucky. Those giant floppy disks were great. Especially the screen with one color. Green. Was it green? I think it was.

The iPhone's this year were rushed. Everything about them were rushed. No care and thought was clearly taken in the design. The anniversary phone is called the X? iPhone 10? Where is 9? Why is 8 the 7s? What the hell is going on? I am clearly frustrated all the way to Googles headquarters with these terrible slow downs and malfunctions caused by this "amazing" new operating system. It needs to get fixed and Apple needs to go back to the drawing board from square one and start again. There are too many features being crammed into the phone without testing before release. It's disgusting. Even on the desktops there are features being removed and dumped into hidden menus because the developers at Apple think it's better for the User which it's not.

I can rant all day about how upset and disgusted with the direction Apple is going in these days but it's a waste of my time and energy. Someone just please figure out how to go back to the previous operating system or fix the operating system so we can enjoy the speed on our 6s we used to have . . . like two months back.
Interesting how there's usually a group of people with issues for every major update who end up calling the worst update ever. Only for later updates to that version to then be praised as an example of perfection when the next new major version comes out which is then called the worse update ever. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

Reactions: I7guy and artfossil

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Half of their customers? I’m sorry but not even close. More like 5% tops. If it was half it would be plastered all over every media source (news on tv, radio, and everywhere imaginable)

People who go online to complain about something are such a teeny tiny fraction of the overall user base.
Just because they don't go online to complain about it doesn't mean it's not happening to them. Millions more won't notice it or don't have time to report it online and just go directly to their carrier or an Apple Store.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just because they don't go online to complain about it doesn't mean it's not happening to them. Millions more won't notice it or don't have time to report it online and just go directly to their carrier or an Apple Store.

I can get my work done much faster due to the different inertial scrolling in iOS 11. Therefore I find iOS 11 faster than iOS 10.3.3.

But maybe for most people they don’t notice the milliseconds difference. I find iOS 11.1 great to use and in my circle anecdotally no one has complained iOS 11 has slowed down since iOS 10.

Reactions: artfossil

djfrat007

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
Interesting how there's usually a group of people with issues for every major update who end up calling the worst update ever. Only for later updates to that version to then be praised as an example of perfection when the next new major version comes out which is then called the worse update ever. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.
Incorrect. There have been plenty of updates in the past that changed the face of the phone. Moved apps. Allowed for new features. iOS11 was rushed. The iPhone 7s/8/X was not thought through clearly. Maybe it was but there are so many issues from the start which to the public, looks and feels like a failure. I completely agree with all heavy Mac fans and users that there have always been hiccups in the past with new operating systems, including MacOS. Numbers of times, year after year, the new operating systems for desktops have been **** until all the bugs were sorted out. Cool. That's great. But why do you run a business like that? Your one of the top businesses in the world and have billions so why not spend money to properly test everything before launching it to reduce on the amount of bugs and issues?

If you do a survey of everyone on this forum on all 377 comments and do comparisons on who is using what device, how many apps they are running, how full their phones are, how quickly they move from app to app, that is where you will separate people on this forum. The hardcore users, the ones who use their mobile device to control their life (Email, Texts, 3-5 forms of social media, business, games, etc) These users push the device to it's max. WHEN and I'm saying WHEN . . the iPhone6s came out, it was amazing. It ran flawlessly. There were not a long list of mistakes and operating system issues. The 7 came out. Still no problems. No slow downs. iOS 11 dropped and all of the sudden everything went wrong with older versions of the iPhone. Some users were so disgusted immediately after upgrading that they dumped the phone thinking the phone couldn't handle updates any longer and bit the bullet to upgrade to the 7s AKA the 8. Apple sale tactic? Who knows.

All I am saying is out of every iPhone I have had, and I have had every phone since the beginning along with all their updates and operating systems, iOS 11 has created the most problems, including massive slow down of most apps, freezing of apps, battery life issues, etc. The company may still be moving forward financially but their innovation and creativity are dwindling down and falling apart.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Incorrect. There have been plenty of updates in the past that changed the face of the phone. Moved apps. Allowed for new features. iOS11 was rushed. The iPhone 7s/8/X was not thought through clearly. Maybe it was but there are so many issues from the start which to the public, looks and feels like a failure. I completely agree with all heavy Mac fans and users that there have always been hiccups in the past with new operating systems, including MacOS. Numbers of times, year after year, the new operating systems for desktops have been **** until all the bugs were sorted out. Cool. That's great. But why do you run a business like that? Your one of the top businesses in the world and have billions so why not spend money to properly test everything before launching it to reduce on the amount of bugs and issues?

If you do a survey of everyone on this forum on all 377 comments and do comparisons on who is using what device, how many apps they are running, how full their phones are, how quickly they move from app to app, that is where you will separate people on this forum. The hardcore users, the ones who use their mobile device to control their life (Email, Texts, 3-5 forms of social media, business, games, etc) These users push the device to it's max. WHEN and I'm saying WHEN . . the iPhone6s came out, it was amazing. It ran flawlessly. There were not a long list of mistakes and operating system issues. The 7 came out. Still no problems. No slow downs. iOS 11 dropped and all of the sudden everything went wrong with older versions of the iPhone. Some users were so disgusted immediately after upgrading that they dumped the phone thinking the phone couldn't handle updates any longer and bit the bullet to upgrade to the 7s AKA the 8. Apple sale tactic? Who knows.

All I am saying is out of every iPhone I have had, and I have had every phone since the beginning along with all their updates and operating systems, iOS 11 has created the most problems, including massive slow down of most apps, freezing of apps, battery life issues, etc. The company may still be moving forward financially but their innovation and creativity are dwindling down and falling apart.
And yet all that I've said has been happening and will continue to happen nonetheless.

sarathy

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Okay,

I found out something after my long days of research. It worked for me, but not sure if it will work for you.

I had opened all my unopened text messages. My speed has been increased by 50%. Am using Iphone 6 128 GB. After ios 11, it used to take 15-20 seconds to open google maps or photos, now it is opening in 5 seconds. Camera gets active in 5 seconds and it used to take more than 20 seconds before.

I can feel that apple written a code to open or check the unopened messages in background or in the foreground particularly after restarting the phone and even after its idle. I would like to clear my calender as well, but i couldn't afford to do.

Hope this might be helpful to someone.

icastel

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
It's re-indexing. The first 2 days my phone was super slow, now it's moving much faster. Of course, maybe I'm just used to the slowness now. :)

It's not re-indexing. It's bull ... Unless mine has been "re-indexing" for the past month or whatever.

Taizetsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Man iOS 11 has been a roller coaster sometimes it’s fine but iOS 11.1 is even worse on my iPhone 6s Plus the performance an everything is good its the battery life thats bad I am incredibly annoyed an frustrated with Apple right now my iPad mini 4 an iPad Air is running perfectly fine with iOS 11 in battery life there’s nothing wrong with my iPhone 6s Plus for some ppl it works good for them for some it’s not I’m annoyed that I can’t downgrade back to iOS 10 an the ppl who have major battery hit in longevity are supposed to just deal with it, well my contract is almost over an Apple just ignores this and continues to mainly focus on the iPhone 8, plus an tre iPhone X cuz it seems like ppl hat have battery issues is on older iPhones I feel like Apple did this purposely to get ppl to buy newer iPhones but I am Gunn’s go back to android if they haven’t fixed iOS 11 on my 6s within a month or two because I can’t even get through half a day on full charge it dies within 2 or 3 hours of usage...truly disappointed in Apple I was so happy when I first switched to Apple few years ago but now they are becoming careless and focused mainly out killing off older iPhones an making ppl buy new models its sad my old Samsung galaxy s4 battery life can last longer then my 6s plus now an the ppl that say Apple doesn’t make older Apple devices slower u clearly don’t know anything.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
On my iPhone 6, I had a half-day of slowdown issues (this was after iOS 11.0.1 was installed and the phone was re-indexing ifself) but the phone has worked fine with no issues with iOS 11.1.

Zobell

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Wow, I updated my trusty iPhone 6 the 3 days ago and since then it’s been driving me crazy. Accessing Podcasts (and most other apps) was painfully slow. That was until of course infound this thread. So simple to hit the Reset button.Ta

(Settings --> General ---> Reset --> Reset All Settings) - no data was lost

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Doesn't work. Also, as a developer, I reset the device on a "regular" basis. iOS 11 is just too heavy for this device to be smooth. Even the 6S struggles with simple animations...
Didn’t see that you’d tried it. Didn’t see your device type.

I’m very pleased with the performance of iOS 11 on my 6S, I presume you’re on a 5S or a 6. Less than one second to open settings. I have noticed the unlocking animation is a little less fluid though, not always; a lot of times it’s perfect.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Didn’t see that you’d tried it. Didn’t see your device type.

I’m very pleased with the performance of iOS 11 on my 6S, I presume you’re on a 5S or a 6. Less than one second to open settings. I have noticed the unlocking animation is a little less fluid though, not always; a lot of times it’s perfect.

Just upgraded to an iPhone X. I can confirm that the 6S lags a little bit on iOS11 compared to my X. I think it's a no brainer that Apple will passively push users to upgrade to newer hardware :)

amanwithoutaname

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
Planned obsolescence? Yeah, iOS11 is super slow. I love my iPhone, but seems like a sales tactic.
Couldn't agree more except for me this was the last straw and I'm obsoleting Apple from my tech stack. Too many of my devices have suffered the same fate and I'm done. Been curious about those Droid things anyway and variety is the spice.
[doublepost=1511730098][/doublepost]
For a week?
Reindexing for three weeks?! It's permanent. The bug that's keeping me from being able to directly share something via messenger (e.g. a photo from within photos) is also very real. Super disappointing "upgrade". Compatibility testing of software is a thing, it's part of my profession as a software engineer. Clearly Apple has chosen to emphasize forward compatibility a la hardware purchase.

Following the release of a new version of iOS, there are typically complaints about battery problems, issues with apps, and minor bugs, and the launch of iOS 11 has proven to be no exception.

On reddit, numerous users who have installed iOS 11 claim to be experiencing much slower app performance, app crashes, and other similar issues. The initial reddit post calls launching apps "an absolute chore," a sentiment echoed by dozens of additional comments.

iphone8ios11.jpg
Users are complaining that their phones "just get stuck on apps" and that a hard reset is the only way to fix the problem. Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Safari, and more are all affected apps. Sometimes, apps refuse to open just launching from the Home screen, while at other times, apps launched from Notifications won't work, and there are issues with Bluetooth.The Now Playing widget in the Control Center is also a chief complaint, with multiple users unable to control songs on Spotify and Apple Music using the widget, and some users say their battery life has taken a serious hit since updating.

Not all customers who upgraded to iOS 11 are seeing these issues but based on the reddit thread, it seems a fair number of people are having problems. App updates and subsequent iOS 11 updates are likely to resolve these issues over time, but customers who want an immediate fix can try some of the methods reported to work on reddit

Some reddit users claim that resetting their settings (Settings --> General ---> Reset --> Reset All Settings) fixed all of the app issues, while others have restored their devices and set it up as new to solve the problem. Others have backed up and restored and had better results. From one reddit user on backup and restore:Multiple iPhone models appear to be affected, with redditors reporting issues on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and other earlier models. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus do not appear to be affected, and there are few complaints about iPad Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11
Reindexing for three weeks?! The slowness is real. So is the bug that's keeping me from being able to directly share something via messenger (e.g. a photo from within photos app). Super disappointing "upgrade". Compatibility testing of software is also real. Clearly Apple has chosen to emphasize *forward* compatibility a la hardware purchase. That's exactly what I'm going to do. Hello Moto. ;-).

madscijrjr

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
So Apple has apologized for the slowdowns, the question is, what are they doing to fix it?

I'm on iPhone 6, 64GB storage, 40GB free, iOS 11.2.1 (latest update for OS and all apps). I've done all the recommended things, like
  • update all apps
  • shut down open apps (always!)
  • hard reboot (hold down power+home button)
  • clear cookies / Safari data
  • turn off Automatic Downloads
  • disable Background App Refresh
  • limit Location services
  • Reduce Motion
  • disable widgets
  • disable Siri
but it's still annoyingly slow.

I've been using the iPhone almost a decade, starting with the 3GS and iOS 3 (!) and from time to time I've seen certain features get slower, mainly
  • Chrome - starting around the time of iOS 9 it became uselessly slow. I suspect either Apple or Google hobbled it, in their war to undermine each other, and we end up suffering
  • Notes - in the old days (before 2014 maybe?), I used it a lot, and had like 2-3000 notes on the iPhone, and even on the 3GS it was fast. But after Apple introduced the new Notes format and iCloud, things got slooooow. I deleted everything, and now with just 150 notes (none very big and all just plain text) the Notes app still can take more than 30 seconds for things typed on the keyboard to appear on the screen. It's bad. A while ago I switched to OneNote, which also is slow but has more features.
but nothing like this.

The big complaint I have is
  • Camera - the most noticeably affected function under iOS 11. When you start it up, the screen stays black for 5 up to 20 seconds before the camera starts working. Before iOS 11, the camera would start pretty much immediately.
The thing that gets me is I've only had this phone about a year (free "upgrade" via phone insurance after my iPhone 5 died) and it's already outdated? I had the iPhone 3GS for like 4 years and it was always fast enough and stayed useful the whole time! All it ever needed was a new battery. The iPhone 5 was only useful for about 2 years before I noticed things getting slow. Now I've only had the iPhone 6 for one year and it's annoyingly slow. Are we seeing a pattern? At this rate, can I expect the 7 to become "obsolete" in 6 months, the 8 in 3 months, and so on? :-O

This kind of thing makes me resent Apple and consider changing over to Android, but I tried that and it was painful. VERY painful. There's nothing like the iPhone. Then again, with Windows phone gone and no Linux phone, it's not like there is any other alternative!

Reactions: BaltimoreMediaBlog

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
So Apple has apologized for the slowdowns, the question is, what are they doing to fix it?

I'm on iPhone 6, 64GB storage, 40GB free, iOS 11.2.1 (latest update for OS and all apps). I've done all the recommended things, like
  • update all apps
  • Reduce Motion
  • disable widgets
  • disable Siri

I've been using the iPhone almost a decade, starting with the 3GS and iOS 3 (!) and from time to time I've seen certain features get slower, mainly
  • Chrome - starting around the time of iOS 9 it became uselessly slow. I suspect either Apple or Google hobbled it, in their war to undermine each other, and we end up suffering
  • Notes - in the old days (before 2014 maybe?), I used it a lot, and had like 2-3000 notes on the iPhone, and even on the 3GS it was fast. But after Apple introduced the new Notes format and iCloud, things got slooooow. I deleted everything, and now with just 150 notes (none very big and all just plain text) the Notes app still can take more than 30 seconds for things typed on the keyboard to appear on the screen. It's bad. A while ago I switched to OneNote, which also is slow but has more features.
but nothing like this.

• Camera - the most noticeably affected function under iOS 11. When you start it up, the screen stays black for 5 up to 20 seconds before the camera starts working. Before iOS 11, the camera would start pretty much immediately.
The thing that gets me is I've only had this phone about a year (free "upgrade" via phone insurance after my iPhone 5 died) and it's already outdated? I had the iPhone 3GS for like 4 years and it was always fast enough and stayed useful the whole time! All it ever needed was a new battery. The iPhone 5 was only useful for about 2 years before I noticed things getting slow. Now I've only had the iPhone 6 for one year and it's annoyingly slow. Are we seeing a pattern? At this rate, can I expect the 7 to become "obsolete" in 6 months, the 8 in 3 months, and so on? :-O

This kind of thing makes me resent Apple and consider changing over to Android, but I tried that and it was painful. VERY painful. There's nothing like the iPhone. Then again, with Windows phone gone and no Linux phone, it's not like there is any other alternative!

Thanks for posting this. It's very similar to my issues, albeit with a different phone and mine is completely brand new!
Apple just sent me a brand new iPhone 5s instead of replacing the battery. Didn't even know they still had any. But similar problems, exacerbated by them forcing IOS 11 on it, which slowed everything down. :(

Chrizx74

macrumors member
May 14, 2016

• update all apps
  • Reduce Motion
  • disable widgets
  • disable Siri

but nothing like this.

The way to rule out throttling is checking CPU clock with CPU dasher x (appstore)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

• update all apps
  • Reduce Motion
  • disable widgets
  • disable Siri

but nothing like this.

All the recent things in relegation to power management changes that can throttle the CPU aren't really related to the iOS 11 release. The changes were introduced back in iOS 10.2.1 days for some devices, and expanded to some more devices with iOS 11.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.