iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Artitu macrumors newbie

Artitu

2. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

riverfreak

Exactly what my SO is reporting. She is saying that many apps won’t launch; those that do take like 20 seconds to open and then are basically unresponsive.

3. Artitu macrumors newbie

Artitu

IOS 11 just screwed up my Apple TV. After installing, I could no longer play movies had loaded into iTunes from DVD's and also digital download files. Yes folks, they are all purchased. I had to revert to IOS 10.2.2 and they played just fine. After an hour on line with Apple, the Technician could not give me an explanation as to why this happened. He suggested taking the Apple TV to the Apple Store and have the Technician restore from iTunes. I can do that myself using a usb-c cable. Nothing worked until I reverted to 10.2.2. Anyone help with an explanation or workaround?

4. mattriff macrumors newbie

I have a 1:30 PM appointment at the Genius Bar. We'll see what they say.

5. MarvinK9 macrumors newbie

MarvinK9

I wonder if a lot of the performance and battery issues is caused by Siri scanning all my old emails for phone numbers and appointments. I've found that Mail is often chewing up most of my power according to the Battery report in Settings.

6. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Are you serious? Tons of people with iPhones are entrenched in Apple’s ecosystem. If you don’t get an iPad or Watch you don’t know what you are missing.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

And tons of people aren't. Again, a completely moot deflection just to get away from the point that was made.

8. tridley68 macrumors regular

tridley68

No issues for me IOS 11 has made my work provided I phone 6 much snappier.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Just got IOS 11 on my Apple watch seems to be working well was not happy that it took over 2hours to download though.

9. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

Oh my gawd I'm not alone! I HATE what ios11 has done to my iPhone! It's so slow, and everything froze up so bad yesterday that I spent 5 minutes trying to reboot the damn thing. The apps chug, I have to tap 5-10 times for it to recognize that I'm trying to open apps, and the lag on starting up the camera is ridiculous. I took it to the Disneyland Halloween event and missed out on photographing so many things I ran across there. I couldn't get the camera to do anything and by the time it responded, I missed what I was trying to photograph :(

I hope they fix this soon-- I regret updating to iOS 11.

10. le prof jf macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Not a problem here with my 5S:speed is up!

11. iSteve-O macrumors regular

iSteve-O

Happens every year.

Planned obsolescence is simply going as planned.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

And yet "surprisingly" just like every year after a few updates the latest iOS version runs great even on various older devices and is not only praised but also used as some example of perfection when a newer iOS version is released the following year.

13. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

The watch downloads have always taken forever for me.

14. citi macrumors 65816

citi

Again, MY PHONE was super slow for like 2 days....and now it's better. It's not a matter of a few minutes by the way. I have a 256gb phone that I use all day long.

15. JonaM macrumors newbie

There's definitely some rough edges that I have experienced before in iOS update - messages locks up if you try to delete sticker pack plugins and definitely know what people are talking about when they mention the lag and catch up. App store has also been surprisingly cranky and refusing to apply updates or getting stuck in loops

16. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

Restoring 6S now. It's pretty much unusable in its current state.

17. marsattacks macrumors newbie

SE super laggy... Even in mail. Guess they want to force an upgrade. If you have an SE think twice before downgrading to iOS11

18. kghoops macrumors newbie

kghoops

19. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Siri is the culprit in many cases on iOS11. Deactivate most of the in-app Siri search stuff and you'll feel the difference.

20. SirYossi macrumors regular

21. mattriff macrumors newbie

They said, "Here, have a new iPhone." I'm really thinking mine was bad hardware -- it seemed like the freezes were specific to recognizing taps (anything going on on the screen kept going), plus the home button haptics being broken.

Hopefully there's something in 11.0.1 to help others?

22. T.j.p. macrumors newbie

The update process tries to maintain state across the update for apps. This isn't always a good thing. I always do a hard reset after the os update. Or after a carrier settings update. I don't know what metadata gets fixed by this, but it's the voodoo that i do, and the voodoo all should do. This is much more benign than reset of all settings.

23. Deduard macrumors newbie

Deduard

Hi
    I don't know if someone reported this already, but on my end I see the folowing issues :
    - cannot control music from lock screen
    - it will not multitask (if I have a WhatsApp call it will not open any other application correctly)
    - when I go to charge it is will freak out and freeze and it will come back to normal after I unplug it (using the original cable and charger)
    - tried restarting it several times same issue

All of the above are happening on a 6 month old iPhone 7 Plus.

24. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

riverfreak

Apple just replaced my SOs 7+, too, for very similar circumstances following UG to iOS11.

25. Deduard, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Deduard macrumors newbie

Deduard

Well if that is the case I have a problem because I cannot go to 2 different countries to get my banking apps working again.
    I will go today in an Apple store to see what do they say, but in the end I’m a bit disappointed.

Update: I took it to the Apple shop and the phone seems to work after 6 restarts. Now it will not panic when plugging it in. The guy from Apple did not know what to say about this issue.