Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Basically what it's like pretty much with any x.0 release--some experience some issues, others don't really experience much of consequence. What else is new?
To me, what is new is that after iOS 7, I began not to upgrade up front on a major iOS release. The later the version of iOS, the longer I tended to wait. For iOS 10, I didn't upgrade from 9 until 10.3.1 was released. But of course, you can't say my attitude to update is something new or a bump in a curve. All I can say that there are more and more people around who try to do the same as I do, which can be described as a trend.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Your phone is reindexing. Relax and let it do its job.

Still reindexing?

Sorry, but this update has been one of the worst yet.
Framedrops in many menus and during lots of animations (3D Touch shortcuts feel sooooo laggy, wow) and what's up with that homebutton delay? Why does it take that long till an app begins to close?

Oh and weather widget is buggy as well.
Still showing data from when I have restarted my phone. I have to open the application now to check current weather...

Last edited:

adamhunteratc

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2016
SE super laggy... Even in mail. Guess they want to force an upgrade. If you have an SE think twice before downgrading to iOS11

Not true for me on the SE. Of course, I did a factory reset and set up my phone as new. With that, my SE has handled iOS 11 well. In fact, it seems snappier than iOS 10.

Reactions: LiveM

Pazza76

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
My 7 plus just became unresponsive, apps not launching only limited functionality. Only able to fix via hard reboot.

Must be iOS 11 issues. It was the beta version. Feedback sent to apple via feedback app.

Following the release of a new version of iOS, there are typically complaints about battery problems, issues with apps, and minor bugs, and the launch of iOS 11 has proven to be no exception.

On reddit, numerous users who have installed iOS 11 claim to be experiencing much slower app performance, app crashes, and other similar issues. The initial reddit post calls launching apps "an absolute chore," a sentiment echoed by dozens of additional comments.

iphone8ios11.jpg
Users are complaining that their phones "just get stuck on apps" and that a hard reset is the only way to fix the problem. Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Safari, and more are all affected apps. Sometimes, apps refuse to open just launching from the Home screen, while at other times, apps launched from Notifications won't work, and there are issues with Bluetooth.The Now Playing widget in the Control Center is also a chief complaint, with multiple users unable to control songs on Spotify and Apple Music using the widget, and some users say their battery life has taken a serious hit since updating.

Not all customers who upgraded to iOS 11 are seeing these issues but based on the reddit thread, it seems a fair number of people are having problems. App updates and subsequent iOS 11 updates are likely to resolve these issues over time, but customers who want an immediate fix can try some of the methods reported to work on reddit

Some reddit users claim that resetting their settings (Settings --> General ---> Reset --> Reset All Settings) fixed all of the app issues, while others have restored their devices and set it up as new to solve the problem. Others have backed up and restored and had better results. From one reddit user on backup and restore:Multiple iPhone models appear to be affected, with redditors reporting issues on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and other earlier models. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus do not appear to be affected, and there are few complaints about iPad Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To me, what is new is that after iOS 7, I began not to upgrade up front on a major iOS release. The later the version of iOS, the longer I tended to wait. For iOS 10, I didn't upgrade from 9 until 10.3.1 was released. But of course, you can't say my attitude to update is something new or a bump in a curve. All I can say that there are more and more people around who try to do the same as I do, which can be described as a trend.
With high adoption rates of most versions fairly early on, seems like even while some people might certainly be doing something like that, overall it's not much of a trend.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I bet Tim Cook has some secret switch to control stuttering and lag. New iOS release pushed to millions which nags people to death to update leaving them with laggier phones + new iPhone release, perfect combination to maximize profits.

riiCCT7.png

lukejr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
iPhone 6 is painfully slow at everything since iOS 11 update, I’m actually missing phone calls it so slow. 24GBof free space and I’ve turnes off anything I can to speed it up.

Today the phone rang with a blank screen and couldn’t answer. iMessage freezes multiple times, keyboard displays slowly.

Bluetooth connections drop, background apps are failing. Apps are very slow at launching, deleting apps seems to hang. Time to buy a new iPhone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone 6 is painfully slow at everything since iOS 11 update, I’m actually missing phone calls it so slow. 24GBof free space and I’ve turnes off anything I can to speed it up.

Today the phone rang with a blank screen and couldn’t answer. iMessage freezes multiple times, keyboard displays slowly.

Bluetooth connections drop, background apps are failing. Apps are very slow at launching, deleting apps seems to hang. Time to buy a new iPhone.
Tried iOS 11.0.1 and/or reinstalling?

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Your phone is reindexing. Relax and let it do its job.

Right. Cue the "this is normal" response to legit complaints. This is clearly an issue Apple refuses to address, each and every revision of the OS. It's not the users, their impatience, or their distorted perceptions. It's the product and its behavior. Special pleading is not the solution.

Reactions: LiveM

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
Same issues hear on an iPhone 6S with the latest version of iOS 11. I can barely use my phone... apps will start to open, get to the splash screen and then 10 seconds later crash (basic Apple apps too including Mail and Messages). Very disappointing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same issues hear on an iPhone 6S with the latest version of iOS 11. I can barely use my phone... apps will start to open, get to the splash screen and then 10 seconds later crash (basic Apple apps too including Mail and Messages). Very disappointing.
Sounds like something's wrong with the install.

Reactions: ChazSch

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
I’m seeing some slowdowns and freezes. iOS 11 is really buggy. Apple please take your time and release a os without the insane amount of bugs.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Finally, now people know how I feel still using an iPhone 5 with 10.3.3 on it!! Ha!

Or my iPad minis with 9.3.5. Often I'll be typing, and the text doesn't catch up for another twenty seconds. Or apps fail to start from other apps. Safari especially can be aggravating.

Apple has always had a problem with iOS updates not being able to deal with everyone's previous settings. They really need to work on it. After all, they control the hardware, software, compilers and apps, and should not be having these kinds of problems.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I set up my my iPhone 7 plus as new and it was still slow opening apps.

ChazSch

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
It’s not a widespread issue at all. Otherwise the forums would be absolutely flooded with complaints (even more so than the typical MR quantity of complaining)

It’s more or less the same garbo from a small percent of people attempting to be loud and make things seem it’s universally as bad for everyone.

Every time I see bashing like this “worst operating system ever” I think “paid troll”

Look some of my apps are slower. Mostly non Apple apps. But it is overall faster and snappier. The user interface is READABLE and I like a lot of the new features. If you don’t want to risk a problem, or get easily annoyed, don’t upgrade. I think it’s a much smoother IOS. Tim is doing fine all you bashers.
[doublepost=1506792533][/doublepost]
Not true for me on the SE. Of course, I did a factory reset and set up my phone as new. With that, my SE has handled iOS 11 well. In fact, it seems snappier than iOS 10.

I did the network reset last night and it’s almost like brand new. Mail only has a slightly lag. Happy with the install again. Thanks Apple

rortlieb

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016

Following the release of a new version of iOS, there are typically complaints about battery problems, issues with apps, and minor bugs, and the launch of iOS 11 has proven to be no exception.

On reddit, numerous users who have installed iOS 11 claim to be experiencing much slower app performance, app crashes, and other similar issues. The initial reddit post calls launching apps "an absolute chore," a sentiment echoed by dozens of additional comments.

iphone8ios11.jpg
Users are complaining that their phones "just get stuck on apps" and that a hard reset is the only way to fix the problem. Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, Messenger, Safari, and more are all affected apps. Sometimes, apps refuse to open just launching from the Home screen, while at other times, apps launched from Notifications won't work, and there are issues with Bluetooth.The Now Playing widget in the Control Center is also a chief complaint, with multiple users unable to control songs on Spotify and Apple Music using the widget, and some users say their battery life has taken a serious hit since updating.

Not all customers who upgraded to iOS 11 are seeing these issues but based on the reddit thread, it seems a fair number of people are having problems. App updates and subsequent iOS 11 updates are likely to resolve these issues over time, but customers who want an immediate fix can try some of the methods reported to work on reddit

Some reddit users claim that resetting their settings (Settings --> General ---> Reset --> Reset All Settings) fixed all of the app issues, while others have restored their devices and set it up as new to solve the problem. Others have backed up and restored and had better results. From one reddit user on backup and restore:Multiple iPhone models appear to be affected, with redditors reporting issues on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and other earlier models. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus do not appear to be affected, and there are few complaints about iPad Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone Users Complain of App Slowdowns and Performance Drops After Installing iOS 11
[doublepost=1506985326][/doublepost]iPhone 6 Plus performance has been terribly slow since the original release, and also after the first followup anti-bug release. Apple had better get out in front of this, or they will pay a heavy price in PR with their loyal customers. This problem is affecting probably half of their iPhone customers now.
[doublepost=1506985505][/doublepost]

Sounds like my iPhone 6 Plus... thanks for sharing!

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
[doublepost=1506985326][/doublepost]iPhone 6 Plus performance has been terribly slow since the original release, and also after the first followup anti-bug release. Apple had better get out in front of this, or they will pay a heavy price in PR with their loyal customers. This problem is affecting probably half of their iPhone customers now.

Half of their customers? I’m sorry but not even close. More like 5% tops. If it was half it would be plastered all over every media source (news on tv, radio, and everywhere imaginable)

People who go online to complain about something are such a teeny tiny fraction of the overall user base.

Mediakip

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
[doublepost=1506985505][/doublepost]
Sounds like my iPhone 6 Plus... thanks for sharing!

Mine too. I started with betas six or seven and it was fine until GM and now 11.1.

No, it can’t still be indexing after three weeks. No, it’s not a cracked up phone, it actually us a brand new replacement 6 Plus.

I might try the reset and reinstall, but that does not reinstall the OS I think, just the content. For that I would have to do manual reinstall from iTunes, right?

A lot of things are bad now. I keep reporting bugs as part of public beta program.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Hi guys,

I have a iphone 6 plus and everything was working great before i upgraded to ios11 about a week ago.

After ios11, everything became so sluggish to the point of unusable. For example when i open the message app for texting it takes 3-5 sec of blank screen before the app is loaded, then as I am typing text it would freeze for a sec or 2 during my typing. Same with mail, settings, pretty much any apps. It takes 3-5 sec to open and very sluggish when you try to use it. Even when making or receiving phone calls the call app would lag, and caused me to miss picking up calls.

I never had any of those performance problems with ios10 - always smooth. I updated to latest version, tried rebooting, and turning off some features from guides i found on google to improve performance.

None of it helped. Any ideas or i am out of luck and this is as expected?

I plan to upgrade to iphone x, but given the current inventory situation doubt i will get it in hand until next year but in the meantime my phone is almost unusable. Any ideas?

Reactions: blesscurse

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Well, iOS 11 has been blazing fast for me on iPhone 7 - esp. with Disable Motion ON.

blesscurse

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
My screen is often unresponsive, and the phone is much more sluggish. I have a 6plus. I'm starting to believe what I did not formerly believe. IOS updates are designed to make anyone with last year's model phone get frustrated enough to buy a new one. I did not expect an improvement in performance. I simply wanted to maintain the same level of performance. Fail.

Reactions: dysamoria

djfrat007

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017

iphone8ios11.jpg

[doublepost=1508717241][/doublepost]iOS 11 is the worst update in the history of iPhones. Apple is drastically going downhill and dumbing themselves down to everyone else's level to simply "keep up" with the industry instead of being the trend setters like they used to be. iOS 11 has had more updates in the first month than any other launch. Not only has it killed battery life due to new features (which clearly shows the people working at Apple have their heads up their asses and are not actually testing their software before releasing it) but it is choking applications backwards and forwards. It's making it impossible to quickly do anything. Everything is slow. Apps freeze on a daily basis. It takes five seconds for an image capture to load into a text message. It's truly an abomination to the iPhone.

Has anyone thought to themselves that Apple has done this on purpose to force users to upgrade to the terrible non-innovative iPhone 8? Or shall we call the 8 the 7s? I've used Apple products since day one. Since i was born we had an Apple computer in our house. We were lucky. Those giant floppy disks were great. Especially the screen with one color. Green. Was it green? I think it was.

The iPhone's this year were rushed. Everything about them were rushed. No care and thought was clearly taken in the design. The anniversary phone is called the X? iPhone 10? Where is 9? Why is 8 the 7s? What the hell is going on? I am clearly frustrated all the way to Googles headquarters with these terrible slow downs and malfunctions caused by this "amazing" new operating system. It needs to get fixed and Apple needs to go back to the drawing board from square one and start again. There are too many features being crammed into the phone without testing before release. It's disgusting. Even on the desktops there are features being removed and dumped into hidden menus because the developers at Apple think it's better for the User which it's not.

I can rant all day about how upset and disgusted with the direction Apple is going in these days but it's a waste of my time and energy. Someone just please figure out how to go back to the previous operating system or fix the operating system so we can enjoy the speed on our 6s we used to have . . . like two months back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.