iPhone With Triple-Lens Rear Camera Will 'Likely' Launch Next Year Says Analyst

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2018.

1. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

How about Apple makes a camera that can also be used as a phone.......Uh...Oh......

2. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

What makes you think it wont already do that. They arent going to just put a third camera in for 3X zoom. It'll have another purpose for sure. Just as the second camera does in the Plus models.

3. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

I'm fine with this as long as Apple has other decent options for those of us that don't need such expensive features built into the phone. Give me a top-performing phone with a modern full-screen design in the $700 price range. I know it can be done if they leave out the high end camera and the augmented reality.

All I want is something that runs iOS with a current-gen processor, an adequate amount of RAM, and a large screen that will last through three or four iOS updates without noticeably slowing down.

4. RobaxMan Suspended

For me, the camera is a very important component of my iPhone - I'm just not sure how much technology I really need. Just like FaceID - I see no need in it for me when I couldn't be happier with TouchId.

5. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Sorry, you are incorrect.
    Whilst you may think it's a gimmick, given we're pretty much at the end of how far we can make any major improvements to the sensors and physical size of lenses.
    Increasing the amount of lenses, perhaps a combination of different sensors as well as different magnifications, can then all be fed into the phones processor to "crunch the numbers" and produce photo's way beyond what we are used to today.

6. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

What about adding a triple size battery? That's right I forgot, Apple knows better what the costumer wants. :rolleyes:

7. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I'm waiting for the entire back to be filled with lenses

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Can't use a camera if the battery is dead :D

9. pcorrado macrumors 6502

This is turning into the razor blade war of the late nineties.

10. alphaswift macrumors regular

Iphone 13 (2020): Now with 16 lenses that can see around corners.

11. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Google's profit doesn't depend on their phone sale:D

12. Future-Proof macrumors regular

Future-Proof

Couldn't agree more. With their optimisation apple could easily achieve 2 day battery without increasing thickness at all. Just look at the zenfone 3 zoom which has a 5,000mAh battery but not optimised with the software at all,so only slightly better than iphone plus models' battery life.

13. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

True. But then you are talking about building software to make all this happen. Have you seen ios11?

14. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Well, I personally would really value having a third lens for higher zoom than the 2X lens currently present the iPhones, esp. if the third lens had optical (or at least excellent digital) image stabilization.

In fact, for me the number one differentiating feature for me for my iPhone 7 Plus is the presence of the 2nd lens.

This could fit well for us. Get a new iPhone this year for my wife, a single-lens LCD model to replace her 6s, and then I'd get a 3-lens Plus model in 2019 to replace my 7 Plus. She's not absolutely sold on the idea yet of a Plus-sized phone.

Mind you, if the single-lens LCD model is sized close to a Plus model then I might be better off trying to convince her to just take my 7 Plus and buying an X Plus in 2018 to replace it.

15. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Maybe they should change the name then: iCam? Because it seems like making phone calls is the least desired feature of iPhone.

16. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

He is the one that brought up an outside company in the discussion, I countered that with a half joking point that Apple does not care about Google's camera because it clearly isn't helping their sales...

Sales may not matter in your day to day life, but they do in the big picture. If sales on the iPhone were to drop Apple would change things up. I am personally happy with Apple's current offering and what they have added to their phones over the years. I don't want to see them change that or stop producing phones all together. An example of this is Pebble. There were a small number of people who loved them, but they did not sell well overall.... Now they are owned by Fitbit...

17. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

The third lens is a "Depth Data Map" lens !

NOT Rocket Science, but clearly Over the Heads of most !

18. RobaxMan Suspended

Have to say that when I'm at home the iPhone hardly gets used BUT, when I travel off the continent, it becomes my everything gadget.

19. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Yeah, same. I need 5 for my daily use:D

20. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Why is everyone making fun of this?

I will go back to this post in 2019 to remember all these people complaining how only the „big one“ is getting it

21. riber79 macrumors newbie

or even four protuding lenses. One in each corner of the phone so it can hover over the surface it rests on ;)

(or maybe not ;)

22. Jaybee75 macrumors newbie

Nitpicky here.. A "zoom"-lense refers to the ability to change the resulting focal length of the optical system. ALL Cameras in todays mobile phones have a fixed focal lenght. The only way to "zoom" on these things is to interpolate in software which has absolutely nothing to do with a (real) zoom-lense. Lenses with higher focal length are refered to as "telephoto", be it with fixed focal length or variable.

23. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I predict that the 3 lenses will actually appear on an iphone this year. I believe the rumored new larger 6.5” iphone x will get 3 lenses to keep pace with the competition, while the new 5.8” iphone x and the cheaper LCD 6.1” will keep the 2 lenses. Just a guess. I just dont think Apple would wait 2 yrs to answer huawei’s shot across the bow.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68020

The second camera on the 7 and 8+ is used both for optical zoom and the portrait effect. But as you know when you shot a portrait mode picture you're using the 2x zoom, so the second camera isn't of any help if you're shooting a 1x picture. That's why I'm skeptical about having 3 lenses at 1x 2x and 3x. P20 has 3 cameras, but 2 of them have the same angle and I think it is a good idea.

25. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Apple doesn't respect it's consumers. Keep dreaming.