iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

How does this affect your overall experience/takeaway? Still yay or nay x?

Cause for some this is an absolute deal breaker

2. barjam macrumors 6502

I have the opposite opinion. TouchID never worked that well for me while FaceID is amazing.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This is where I think Face ID is at its strongest when having your face covered in a cooler climate. Many have attributed to the success of Face ID in the specific scenario, where touch ID was much more difficult to use with cold fingers.

4. Zigourney macrumors regular

I've had my iphone X since mid November, the X is fast, intuitive to use, works smoothly using entirely gesture controls without a physical button, you don't need a physical button, you just don't know it until you use it. The X also has good battery life, I can squeeze 1.5 days out of it now that the honeymoon period is over.

Now in terms of face ID - for me it works ALMOST perfectly, it just works and you start to forget that its there. However there is one scenario that I don't like face id, that is when I have my phone flat on my desk, face id doesn't work if I lean over to unlock it, I have to pick it up. It sounds like such a minor thing but it did bug me at the beginning and the fact that it stops my workflow and I have to pick up the phone to scan my face....but you soon adapt and get used to it.

The notch is a non existent issue for me - I honestly don't even notice it. Before I bought the iphone X, I thought the notch would be the biggest issue for me, its weird how actually it turns out to be a non existent issue for me, even when watching videos I don't notice it like one would think you would.

Touch ID is dead - get used to it, my assumption is that we wont see it in future iphones, except in SE models.

5. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

I'm glad people are returning the X because they don't think it's worth the price of admission.

Send that message to Apple et. al that that asking price is not on.

6. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

...and the Oscar for 'Best Brown-Nosing' goes to...

7. Ralfi, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

A bit harsh Parkin Pig.

I think they were genuine, & I get it. Shouldn't underestimate how challenging a transition away from a Home button is for a phone manufacturer.

Many have complained it's too drastic a change, but they came around eventually. Many were happy from the get go.

That can only happen when a change like this is very well thought out.

8. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

The iPhone is just a product and Apple is just a manufacturer (albeit a very experienced one).
    We don't need to be 'taught' anything by a manufacturer. They make stuff and we decide whether or not we consider it worthy of our cash for it to become part of our lives.

The spiel about 'a lot of risks and bold moves' and 'teaching us to always have faith in Apple' are sound bites more appropriate for solutions to global famine or World peace.
    Applying these phrases to a product shows how insidious modern 'cuddly capitalism' has become. Apple are not your friend. They want your cash. It keeps the shareholders happy.

It's just a product. There's no obligation to buy it. And you can be damned sure that in 12 months time Apple will be doing everything they can to convince you that your iPhone X is yesterday's news and your social status is diminished unless you upgrade to whatever they produce next.

9. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Ok yeah, they went over the top with the cliché inappropriate praise-the-lord-esque wording, but the X was a decent effort anyway.

10. newellj macrumors 603

I am in favor of economic messages to manufacturers, but I don't think there's enough data in this stream to give Apple useful feedback. As an example, Apple has no way to capture information about how many X iPhones are returned due to eye discomfort/headaches resulting from PWM. Without some sense of that, they won't know the cost of making, or not making, hardware changes. All kinds of different data (too costly; prefer TouchID to FaceID; display causes pain) get merged in a single return metric.

11. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

Indeed. I have always said that apple are masters at making you believe you need their product to be productive :)

12. neil74 macrumors member

neil74

I do wish I had returned mine now, it is now sitting in the draw while I use a Pixel 2 XL (I usually have android and iPhone so will will use the X again)

I like the device mostly, easy to use one handed and like how passive face id is. I do not though like ONLY having face id, using it on my desk as many have said requires me to pick the phone up. Gestures feel almost tacked on and as for the dead area at the bottom of the screen ! I honestly cannot imagine SJ signing off on either of them.

My main beef though is iOS, there have been improvements but it just feels so dated in places compared to android. I still cannot arrange my home screen how I like it, I honestly don't know why they bother with wallpapers as you just have to cover them up with those big ugly icons or folders and as for the live wallpapers, seriously who thought they were a good idea. i guess I should be grateful though that we at least have a file browser now. Honestly 10 years on iOS is still just a glorified app launcher.

I have used both platforms for a few years now but it was always the case that if you forced me to choose just one it would have been the iPhone, now though I'd pick android which I never thought would ever be the case

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Apple is a luxury brand and the iPhone X is it’s flagship model. Some of us like the fact that it costs more and is targeted at a more discerning, upscale clientele.

Some can buy an entry-level preowned Rolex for $1,800 and others a new Daytona for $18,000. Both can coexist. There is nothing wrong with paying a premium price for a new, premium product.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Thanks BJ for my laugh of the day. You never disappoint.

15. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Love my iPhone X I view it as the greatest iphone ever. It is funny however how my iPhone 6s is the greatest iphone ever to my daughter that I gave it to when I purchased the x… I guess it’s all about perspective

16. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

There is nothing funny about a stepped product strategy for those who understand the concept. And actually, the idea that the new iPhone flagship is not "worth" more than $1,000 is what's laughable. Doesn't matter that an $1,800 wristwatch tells the time just as accurately as an $18,000 wristwatch because it's not only about telling the time. It about design, materials, newness, and features too.

Just because a product says "iPhone" on it doesn't mean they're all the same, no different than Rolex, Mercedes Benz, or other luxury brands. The person who buys a used iPhone 6 on Craigslist for $149 is not the same as the person who buys a new iPhone X from an Apple Store for $1,250. Sure, they both want the exceptional Apple ecosystem and the renowned ease of use, but the similarities end there. iPhone X has all the bells and whistles and immediately says something about its owner. It's what luxuries do. And there is nothing wrong with Apple making a superpremium product, especially today where the era of free iPhone's on contract is over.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

The iPhone X is expensive but not in a league where it’s unaffordable to a wide range of demographics. I don’t know many people who couldn’t afford one if they really wanted one (myself included), but I know plenty of people who don’t see the need to spend £1k on a mobile phone.

It’s nothing to do with how rich you are or status, it’s to do with preferences and priorities. There are iPhone X’s in the hands of executives to factory operatives all around the world. It doesn’t suddenly give you a ticket to being perceived as the ‘super elite’. Anybody who thinks an expensive phone gives them better status or more respectable to those they know, should perhaps stop associating with shallow materialistic morons. It’s a nice phone, not a golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

18. jlczl macrumors 6502

I completely agree though I must say what BJ stated above you has a bit of truth in it as it is much more rare now to see a teen with the latest iPhone. Most of them have a version of the plus as far as I have noticed but I have yet to see many, if any actually, with the X the way I used to see them with the newest before. Maybe it’s because even on installments they are more expensive now that most carriers in the states are requiring a larger down payment on them than the regular iPhones?

19. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I don't think an extra $200 for the X over the 8 Plus really puts it in a class for discerning, upscale clientele.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

They are rare here in the UK too and the price is a massive factor. People are putting off upgrading due to the expense and dare I say the fact there is little difference year on year between smartphones on the surface of things. The need to upgrade has diminished and interest is not as great as it was a few years ago. I think there are differing opinions on how we perceive the rarity of the X. Some of you here evidently feel that makes it more impressive and desirable while others like me think the opposite. I see it as perceptions changing towards core iPhone users not caring whether they’ve got the latest phone or not these days.

I used to know so many people with the latest iPhone soon after launches. These days it’s not so much a hot topic anymore.

21. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The 8 Plus is expensive and a luxury smarthphone as well, it's not a poor man's iPhone by any stretch.

The 8 Plus is the respectable BMW 5 Series, the X is the exclusive 7 Series. The iPhone 7 is the 3 Series. The iPhone 6S and older are the slightly shabby used 3 Series.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2018 ---
    Exactly right. The carrier model shifted from all-out subscriber acquisition in 2016, and as we know we now pay full price for our iPhone's, the subsidies are over for the most part.

So back in 2014 where a very important senior executive such as myself used to be forced to be seen with the same iPhone as my lawn boy, those days are thankfully over. In my office, I have an iPhone X, my subordinates are in iPhone 6's and 7's, and the mail room staff are in used iPhone 5's. Order is finally restored with Apple as the luxury brand it is not only in notebooks and watches but also in smartphones, the X being the Rolex of mobile, I'm quite smitten by their product strategy.

22. newellj macrumors 603

C'mon, not really. It's not like you have to go to Stockholm and be awarded an iPhone X. Anyone with $1k can walk in and buy one. It's just a phone. Even if you figure someone keeps it only a year, millions of people spend more than $1k a year on coffee. (48 weeks/year x 5 working days / 1000 = $4.15)

23. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

What % of the population have credit cards or the ability to get carrier financing? This is the number of the exclusive elite that can afford such a magnificent luxury item as the elusive iPhone X.

24. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I agree with you completely. But...

You know how many posts on MR go something like "I would never pay $1000 or more for a phone" or "Apple is losing its core customer because of its pricing" and on and on? Thousands upon thousands of posts by college students, the unemployed, day workers, you name it.

So it's easy to say "anyone can afford an X its only $1.73 a day over the course of 2 years" but in the end you've got people abandoning their carriers to save $10 a month and others sitting around all day using free wi-fi at Starbucks to save $3 and that's real money to hundreds of millions of people.

The iPhone X is a luxury. That's a fact we need to face.

25. Fthree macrumors 6502a

So basically I can start telling people I have a 7 series?!?! Dang I thought I would never be able to afford one!