iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
  2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2007
    How has 8+ been compared to 7+?

You have both on iOS 11?

What most separates love from like X to 8+ for ya?
  3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida

Yes, both are on the latest iOS.

I loved both the 7+ and 8+ and still do. The are still likely my favorite.

The X is OK, have no complaints except I miss my home button. It is really hard to go back and forth between the 8+ and X because of this. The OLED screen does not really impress me that much but it gets the job done.

Only reason I am using the X is something inside of me tells me that I MUST be using the latest and most advanced. Not really a good reason when the size of the phone has never been a problem and I feel like I had to compromise with the X.

I will likely put the SIM in the 8+ this weekend and am betting it will stay in the for a while. Might gift the X to a family member.

Have a good weekend, please send us warmer weather! What to go fishing offshore, but the weekend is still not good for that due to weather.
  4. nviz22 macrumors 68040

Jun 24, 2013
    Price tag aside, the X is a tremendous device. The OLED screen is awesome and the build quality is superb. FaceID is slower than Touch ID, so it isn't all made out to be even though FaceID is relatively fast. Never used Aniamojis since I thought the concept was pointless and gimmicky.

When I use my 8+, it makes me realize that repurchasing an X and selling the 8+ would be very pointless since the internals are the same while the 2018 devices will be much more refined.

I just don't think FaceID, an OLED screen (1125p resolution), a completely new body design, somewhat negligible camera differences, and Aniamojis are worth $470 extra. 45p resolution difference at such a small screen size difference (5.5" vs 5.8") is minimal. Plus, I don't need to compromise with the gestures, the Siri sleep/wake button, and control center being at a bad spot.
  5. davidec macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Such a superior device to all other phones. Feels so fluid and quick in its operation. Screen is amazing. Couldn’t go back.
  6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

Jun 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Love mine! I had been using a Samsung S8+ as my personal and a iPhone 7 as my work phone. Love the X so decided to go with two iPhones. Now if I could just convince my company to upgrade our 7’s to X’s.
  7. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Palo Alto, CA
    I like the new screen, though I wish it was a bit wider.

I like how switching apps is much easier, but now exiting apps is much harder.

hate the new control center - can't do it one-handed.

Faceid sucks. misses about 1/2 the time, and doesn't work if the phone is in landscape orientation.

reception is worse than on my friends iphone 8 (same place, same carrier - her phone has 2 bars of LTE, mine has 1 bar of 4G).

Apple could have done better.

I'm taking advantage of the extended return policy and taking mine back.
  8. jlczl macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2015
    Same here except I had been using a Note 8. I have an iPhone 7 for work as well but I’m only dreaming if I think I’ll get an X for work anytime soon.

Love the screen as is because if it were wider I wouldn’t be able to reach all the corners as I do now one handed.

Love the app switching and don’t mind the app closing difficulty because I actually have never been in the habit of closing apps as I just let the OS handle that.

I can access the control one handed because of the size of the phone itself. See above.

FaceID works wonderfully for me and I prefer it to the TouchID on my 7 as it works more consistently in the variety of conditions I find myself in on a daily basis.

Reception is the same on my 7 as it is on my X.

I feel Apple did better with this new generation of devices than with most of their previous generations.

No way I’d return this phone as there is nothing currently better to switch to (this coming from a previously android leaning techie — now am about 50/50).
  9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Dec 15, 2010
    Face ID really does learn your face over time..works even better than it did when I first got it.
  10. roncron macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2011
    I've had my X for 7 weeks now.

1. FaceID doesn't work for me nearly as often as TouchID did on my 7+. As a result, it feels like I've manually entered my passcode more times in the past month than I did in the last year with my 7+.

2. The display is narrower than the 6+/7+/8+, so in landscape mode much content is letterboxed. Usable screen area is closer to that of an iPhone 8 than an iPhone 8+.

1. The OLED screen is gorgeous.

2. I didn't dislike the bezels on my 7+ or earlier iPhones, but I am loving the absence of the top and bottom bezels on the X. (Side bezels on the X are the same as on other iPhones.)

3. The camera is noticeably improved over the 7+ I had before (which itself was pretty good). More natural colors and much better low light performance. Portrait mode is a bit better than on the 7+, and I love that you can get portrait mode on the front-facing camera.

4. Love the form factor. The size and weight are less than the 7+ I had before, making it nicer to use and more pocket-friendly. Yet the screen is bigger than the 7 or 8.

1. Battery life for me has averaged about 8 hours on the X, a step back from 10 on the 7+ but not bad given the smaller device size and the demands of the array of sensors in the "notch". Plus, some of this is iOS 11. Battery life has been highly variable for me across the various builds and betas of iOS 11. I thought that was setting down since 11.2, but the latest beta (11.2.5 b3) seems to deplete the battery a little quicker than other recent builds. Still, I imagine this will settle down and battery life will become more consistent, and sooner rather than later. (I hope.)

2. The notch. I don't hate it, don't love it. Sometimes I find it annoying when viewing something in full screen, especially in landscape mode. Other times I actually like the notch; it contains a bunch of new tech and therefore has a bit of a "cool factor." When people (who care about tech and don't have an X) see my phone, the notch immediately tips them off that it's an X and they ask how I like it, ask if they can hold it and play with it.

3. My love of the size and weight (being, to me, in the sweet spot between 8 and 8+) is offset by my mild unhappiness with the reduced usable screen area (in landscape mode).
  11. newellj macrumors 603

Oct 15, 2014
    Boston, MA, US
    I just hit "cancel." Not sure whether that's the best or fastest, but it worked reliably.
  12. abercrombie macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2008
    Parent's Basement
    I concur. Before it couldn’t recognize me with my ray bans but they do now.
  13. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2009
    Long Beach
    Love the X, but not to much a fan of faceID after using TouchID for so long.
  14. Booch21 macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Love it so far. Face ID works great. Haven't missed the home button at all. In fact, I get caught off guard when using my iPad. I want to swipe on it to close an app and have to really think about pressing the button.

I have found that I am much more fluid in my use of the X. The size is much better for me than my 7+. I put an OtterBox on it, the first one that I've ever owned. I wanted great protection for it. I've found that the size, even with the OtterBox, isn't distracting or annoying. in my pocket.

The screen is very crisp. I get reminded of that every time I look at it. Haven't really used the camera much so I can't say that I like or dislike it at this point. The speakers sound really nice for what they are. Speakerphone at first sounded funky, but it seems to have "settled in" and sounds like any previous iPhone that I've had.

Where I struggle with the X is when people want to see it, I'm not really sure what to show them. FaceID is hard to demonstrate, and there isn't an app that I'm aware of that really shows off the difference in the X versus other phones. I show gestures but that's really about it. There are many things that have improved the experience, I just struggle to demonstrate them to curious people.

Overall, I'm pleased as punch! :)
  15. ztw2002 macrumors member

Oct 2, 2012
    New York City
    I switched to Note 8 after a month and planning to switch back to iPhone 8 Plus next month.
  16. Wildkraut, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2015
    Well, I have it more or less since the release, and I’ll keep the X, but dislike that I have to tilt and hold it somekind parallel to my front face to unlock, it feels unnatural and kinda forced to achieve the unlocked state. With TouchID I was able to unlock it more naturally and also before focusing the screen with my eyes. I mean unlocking already during the (way up/arm movement) to my eyes.
  17. zipster macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2011
    Still getting used to the home button-less controls, but the gestures are fluid.
    You get over the notch.
    Super fast.
    Form factor is nice.
    Cameras on front/back are fantastic. If they put these in the 8, I likely would've purchased that.
    Face ID flaws grow more apparent by the day. Very annoying to use.
  18. newellj macrumors 603

Oct 15, 2014
    Boston, MA, US
    Because it doesn't recognize you reliably, or because of how FaceID affects how you use the phone or specific apps?
  19. zipster macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2011
    Doesn't recognize me reliably -- I don't feel like it's 'learning my face'. Also, having to use it in portrait mode can be annoying if I'm watching a movie or playing a landscape game.
  20. newellj macrumors 603

Oct 15, 2014
    Boston, MA, US
    Thanks for the reply. I used one for five weeks and thought it was an amazing piece of tech for a first commercial release, but Apple probably has hardware and software tweaks to improve how it works - it would be surprising if they didn't. I'm certainly glad they didn't stop improving TouchID after it was first introduced.
  21. jlczl macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2015
    And to the Galaxy S9 a month after that?
  22. coney718 macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2014
    What dont you like about the Note?
  23. PBz macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    PVB, Florida
    The X camera is in the 8 Plus sans front selfie.
    OIS on a tiny ‘zoom’ lens in a tiny phone is way more marketing than results.
  24. MarkApple1988 macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2018
    Not crazy about it. My first concern was compared to the 6s it was a bit chunky, but the battery life improvement makes that worthwhile. The camera is alot better, the bigger screen is nice, but better screen quality and face ID... meh. The real disappointment is how easy it is to scratch the screen and break the glass. Compared to the 6s its a lot 'softer' when treated the same way. I am seriously considering going back to the 6s now that Apple have replaced the battery, its slim, sleek, and tough.
  25. Hankster macrumors 68020

Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    I've owned every iPhone since 3GS. I like everything about the X besides one feature.

FaceID is horrible. TouchID is 10x better. FaceID requires the right angle of your face to work. It's winter, 75% of the time FaceID doesn't work because I have my face partly covered. It doesn't work if I'm on my side. It doesn't work if my phone is on my desk and I lean over. There have been so many situations when FaceID has not worked. With TouchID I may have used the code once a week. With FaceID I use the code 20-30 times a week.