iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Returned it. Twice. Too heavy. Too thick for very little gain. Not practical to be used sans case and I will never use a case.

Went back to the iPhone 7. Glass is a horrible idea for something that gets dropped and is supposed to be highly mobile and move with you every day all the time.

2. jetlagged macrumors 6502

my thoughts exactly. The improvements will come out next year.

I love my X so far. I was hoping it would replace my iPad mini 4 as far as reading Japanese manga comics, but the screen isn’t as well optimized for manga reading as the iPhone 8 and 8plus

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

No glass means no wireless charging.

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

why dont you just hold on to your X for as long as it continues to work?

5. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Because it's an overpriced phone not worth the money.

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

if money is the issue i don't think buying a new phone a year from now to replace it is the right solution..

7. LennyFL macrumors member

I'm on the road 30-40 weeks a year and listen to books while on the road. I fly coast to coast and sometimes driving another 3-4 hours. There is not a bluetooth option available that will last 1/2 of that. I'll miss the camera and that's about it.

8. azpekt macrumors regular

ok, I impulsively sold my Iphone SE and got Iphone X 256G Black.
    and I must say - that`s a great phone. I like the snappyness, the lack of home button and FaceID is working nicely.

so, I`m really impressed. It`s still an Iphone - but really a great one.

but man, the price is ridiculous

9. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

It is when you intend to hold onto that new phone for a long time.

10. zipster macrumors 6502

I bought the 8+ and while a beautiful, solid phone... it was too big for me to carry on a daily basis.

Traded "up" for the X and am very happy so far.

11. Mabsport macrumors newbie

Mabsport

I am very happy with the X. I initially bought the 8+ and that was an amazing phone as I have always liked the plus size screens. I sold this and put a little extra and bought the X. At first I was shocked how small it was in the hand but this is a good thing as it's more user friendly for me. Love Face ID and I don't know what all the issues are about losing the home button. Gestures are easy and mastered within a few hours. Screen is very clear and precise but it is a little narrower than the plus models but it makes the phone easier in the hand.
    The only issue I have is the option to zoom the screen that was on the 8+. Some text is very small and hard to view and this maybe an issue to some people. At least with other models this could be adjusted with the zoom facility. Apart from that very happy. Is it worth the price ? no. Is it a good phone ? definitely

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Ah, but will the farther-field wireless charging require glass? (ala Energous and similar solutions). I wonder if they couldn't just implement another antennae in the border ring around the phone to receive the wireless energy. Time will tell.

I think the current Qi charging has a short lifespan....maybe 5 years. (I hope anyways). Looking forward to these blanketing everywhere so the batteries in our phones will be about the size of a dollar coin. :)

13. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

And you can do the same with your X ;) Use it for ten years and it will be fantastic value for money.

14. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

That's not the point. I'm overpaying for the X. I don't want to pay off the X. I want to spend money on an iPhone that I feel is worth the money.

I'm stuck using the X. I will upgrade to a cheaper iPhone when I can and then hold onto it until it dies.

15. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Roflmao when the moment comes that you can upgrade by far the cheapest route to continued ownership is keep what you’ve got and go on a very cheap SIM only plan. My daughter got my 7 Plus and I got her a sim. 36Gb per month useable in 92 countries around the world with unlimited minutes and texts for a mere $15 per month.

Each to their own choice ofcourse but surely you’d knew the cost upfront ;)

16. FirePak macrumors regular

Love my X, Size is perfect. Battery life is great. Have had no issues. Will buy the Xs when it comes out.

17. harrisupstate macrumors member

Hi, about that swiping up on the X... if you have a case on it (with the standard "lip" that protrudes around the edge) doesn't that lip get in the way of your thumb while you're swiping up? I imagine that this might be annoying... unless possibly you just always swipe above the lip, therefore never needing to touch it.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Generally confused by your statement. If you're overpaying for the X, and you don't want to pay it off, then why did you purchase the X in the first place? And then you said you want to spend money on an iPhone that you feel is worth the money, so if the iPhone X is none of those, what compelled you to upgrade to the X in the first place? What other iPhone in Apple's lineup would be 'worth your money'?

So you said you're stuck using the X, but you don't want to pay it off, because you're already over paying for it, which I don't understand why you would purchase a phone that you seemingly don't want in the first place, but you want a cheaper iPhone? Your whole post is quite confusing.

19. scgf macrumors regular

I have a Pixel 2 and bought an iPhone X, knowing I could return it if I didn't get on with it. I tried to get on with it but I really couldn't. Camera. The iPhone X tends to overblow highlights and you lose detail. It also choses a lower shutter speed in low-light. Side by side photos with my Pixel showed the iPhone choosing 1/4 sec, the Pixel 1/24 sec. I also didn't like the notifications on iOS and the way widgets are like a bolt-on rather than being integrated with the homescreen. The whole experience was like using a kiosk computer in a shopping mall where there are limits on what you can do. To be honest I was shocked that iOS hasn't really moved forward since I was a full-time iOS user up to the iPhone 5. Needless to say I returned it and am appreciating even more my Pixel 2!

20. mlody macrumors 6502a

Still love the phone, but I hate the developers who don't give a sh*t about updating the app. what is more disturbing that most of the those that are not updated are from reputable places, business etc like EcoBee, Panera Bread, Chase, Google and many others.

21. dsr2 macrumors regular

dsr2

Not a huge a fan of the plus sizes for everyday use. I defaulted back to the regular size in all my iterations of the phone. Since I had a 7plus that I would only use occasionally, traded it in for the X. Like the size (may even still be a bit big, but I can use it one handed). I’m not really a connoisseur of the camera, but I like the Face ID (although I also don’t like the fact that you still have to swipe up to get to the homepage) and it seems to get better and better the more I use it. This will be my daily driver for a while.

22. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

It really isn't. You are just making it out to be that.

I bought the X in the first place because I was excited to use something new and different, plus my 6S Plus was performing poorly with iOS 11. I had also grown tired of iPhone's with bezels. It wasn't until I had the X for a period of time where it hit me that I simply did not feel it was worth the money I was paying for it monthly. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand. You won't know how you feel about something until you've had the chance to try it out. Now, I wish I had come to that conclusion during the 14 day window when I could have returned my X, but I didn't, so now I'm SOL.

I would have been better off getting a base model iPhone 8 which would have provided me with two features I love about the X. (Wireless charging and dual speakers.) I would have saved $300 in the long run. Come this fall I will evaluate the new iPhone lineup and see if there is a model that I would want to purchase outright and hold onto for years to come. If the rumored bezel-less 6.1" $650-$750 iPhone is real, I will get that once I've paid off half my X, as I will be eligible to upgrade at that point.

23. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I feel like it is an awesome and amazing phone. Every time I start thinking this though I remember that it cost me nearly $1100 for the base model and it sours my mood a bit. But I do love it if I can forget how much it cost me over. :)

24. andresandiego macrumors regular

andresandiego

Twice? Did you think it would have gotten lighter and thinner the second time you purchased it?

25. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

Face ID works well when I'm deliberately looking at the phone. Otherwise (e.g. in bed on my side), it usually fails to passcode screen. It 100% fails laying flat on the desk of course.

Here in NYC, it works well with gloves and when I'm wearing a beanie. It works with a scarf too, but it seems it takes extra time to unlock.

Looking to upgrade again next September unless it's just a spec change.

The parts of it that I enjoy so far are:
    1. Speed
    2. Good ratio of screen real estate
    3. Apple Pay is pretty easy

The parts I have not enjoyed are:
    1. Not a good phone when it's not resting at an angle stand looking at your face
    2. Still not that great in rainy conditions
    3. When it misses the facial id to unlock because you glance too late, I haven't figured out the fastest/easiest way to trigger the facial id again