iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Wyckham macrumors newbie

iphone 6? Lol how many years have you had that? Batteries degrade over time. Also the iphone Plus Models from the previous years and this year beat the iphone X by one full hour on heavy tasks.

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Interesting, I've been clicking that home button for several years, and after a week with the X, any inclination to click a button was gone (in fact, using a home button'ed iPhone is now the issue!). The interface paradigm of
    moving a panel up" is so perfectly in tune with the physical motion of "sliding it up with your thumb".

Yeah, that's the most notable usability issue for me (that is still pretty mild in the overall context), access to CC. Per above, I'm totally over that motion being connected to that UI element, but while I know how to access it, getting to it is mostly a two-handed operation (though Reachability works decently well on the springboard ... not so much in apps depending on the design).

It'll be interesting to see how that function evolves over the next OS iterations.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Do you really though? Really?
    Up until a month ago navigating an iPhone via the home button was standard practise for all of us. Even 2 of the latest iPhones still use this technology, yet it’s talked about like it’s inferior and almost prehistoric.

I’m sure people like me with my ancient 6S are hilarious to the elite, but it’s still just a different method to achieve the same outcome. iOS still looks the same beyond these super cool features.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Just hit three weeks myself. I have no issue saying it's the best phone I've ever used. There are times when I'm holding the phone in my right hand that I have trouble reaching the bottom left corner which is something I never experienced with the 8s size but something that small can't deter me from enjoying the rest of the experience.

Also, the Space Gray and the Midnight Blue Apple leather case is a fine looking combo indeed.

5. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I have tried swiping up on my work phone about 3-4 times in the last month. The first time was about 3 days after I got the X.

The 6s is fine, as are many other phones. It’s just interesting how quickly a whole new usage paradigm can take.

6. kirk.vino macrumors member

You’ve put so many words in my mouth that I didn’t even mean lol
    Your post is one big chunk of insecurities, I think. I never said something was superior or inferior. Do whatever works better for you. I was sharing my personal experience related to the topic. What are you doing in this thread in the first place?! Haha

7. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

I love my X more and more each day. Definitely my favorite iPhone to date.

Swiping is incredibly smooth and intuitive.
    Size feels perfect.
    Chrome and glass for the win.
    Love the larger side button.
    Best camera yet (portrait selfies!)
    Tap to wake is so useful for checking for notifications.
    That screen!
    Face ID works.
    And I'm personally loving iOS 11 on this phone.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

No insecurities over a phone, I think anybody with that level of worry should seek help. I’m in this thread the same reason you are, as a member of Mac Rumors discussing the topic and replying to posts of interest.

I only took issue with your point about laughing at how dated the 6S felt to use. It’s the same technology as an iPhone 8 and I was merely pointing this out.

9. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

My work phone is an iPhone 6 and I constantly catch myself trying to use gestures on it. I got the X on launch day and the novelty still hasn't worn off. I really enjoy using it and think that Apple knocked it out of the ballpark with this phone. Also, I really don't understand the iOS 11 hate. Prior to getting the X, I ran iOS 11 on my 6s Plus and didn't experience any issues with it, other than the rare stutter. I'm not sure if that was an iOS 11 problem, or the fact that I was running out of storage space.

Anyway, the X is an excellent device and I am very happy with my purchase. The only complaint that I have is that FaceID doesn't work with my RayBan Aviators. I know that it can be circumvented by turning off attention awareness, but it's still a minor annoyance.

10. urkel, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM

urkel macrumors 68030

Are "Old habits hard to break"? Or do these new gestures just not feel right?

I think the answer is right there in how quickly we accepted the new App Switching gesture. Swiping right or left on a virtual bar at the bottom of the screen has proven to be an incredibly efficient new gesture that feels natural after only a few seconds. It's quickly accepted because it makes sense.

So what about those other commands. Swipe down from Upper Rightl? Halfway Swipe then hold? Slight upward swipe for Reachability? Force Touch? Do those really feel awkward because "Old habits are hard to break"? Or do they feel awkward because they're awkward.

A lot of times it is all about users adapting to new tech. But in the case of the iPhone X gestures then... Its not us, its them.

11. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Love my X since day 1. Gestures are great and I was used to no home button after a few minutes. Screen, speed, camera, all best of the best. A large screen in a more compact design without bezels and huge chins is exactly what I wanted. Very happy with the purchase, easily worth the money.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I didn’t take it as him laughing at the inferiority of the old ways. I think he just meant he laughs at himself for accidentally using the new gestures on the old device, having already altered his habits.

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Happy with mine. Really like the size. I also prefer gestures to home button. I find they make one-handed use quite a bit easier. Facial recognition has been essentially instant. Once I tap to open I just swipe and it's done.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I couldn't agree more with the previous posts. Still love my X a month after I had it delivered. I always wanted a bigger screen phone, but was not a fan of the Plus devices. Plus, the camera is fantastic to use when out and about.

Overall, it was well worth the $999 price tag.

15. yegon macrumors 68020

Excellent purchase.

Gestures make it much better to navigate.

Brilliant battery life.

16. Mr. Blue macrumors newbie

I am still mesmerized by the beautiful OLED display that just pops. Anyone that can't tell the difference between OLED and LCD need their eyes checked. My iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 screens now look like poverty in comparison.

17. anitak1982, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM

anitak1982 macrumors member

anitak1982

I love mine so much. I find I want to swipe up when on my ipad. It makes me laugh.

18. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Had my X since launch. It still makes me grin. It's such a leap forward from the 7 series and prior generations. I'm still exploring the new features and finding new ways to enjoy them. The other day I found some incredible HDR timelapse videos on Vimeo, went into a dark room, cranked up the brightness, and watched city scenes at night that absolutely made my jaw drop. The cameras on both sides are outstanding. The FaceID is straight-up Tony Stark tech (though it is not perfect yet and needs some fine-tuning, but I do see huge advantages over TouchID as well). I still pop it out of my clear case and admire the look sometimes. And it is fast, fast, fast, especially after the 11.2 update that just came out, as 11.1.3 was a little buggy in places.

It's the best piece of technology of any kind that I've ever owned.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I've had my iPhone X just over a week and I adore her! She's brought fun back into using an iPhone after using a series of iPhones which all seemed pretty much alike in their form factor and functionality.

Coming from a jet black 7 Plus, I love the smaller size, which is far more comfortable to hold, especially during lengthy phone conversations. The swiping and gestures are intuitive and it took me very little time to get used to them -- I really don't miss the home button at all. (Only problem is that now I find myself trying to swipe up on my iPads!) I had been a bit hesitant about Face ID but it has worked flawlessly for me so far, no problems with glasses or without (when I set it up I didn't have glasses on) and I don't usually wear hats but don't anticipate issues there either. I prop the iPhone on a stand on my computer workstation and when a new message comes in, I look at the phone, Face ID does its magic and voila! I also am appreciating being able to tuck the iPhone into a pocket now, which is something I hadn't done with the various Plus phones I had. The screen -- oh, that gorgeous screen!!!! Colors just pop! At home I keep the phone naked, but when going out I slip her into either the Apple folio case or the Apple silicone Product Red case. Now that they've announced a new Spicy Orange case, I'll be grabbing one of those, too, since orange is my favorite color.

Battery life is amazing -- my iPhone 7 Plus was starting to lose charge more quickly, so I'm enjoying having great battery life again. I'm delighted with how fast this thing is, too -- what's not to love about that?!

20. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I'm fairly happy with mine. Space grey in 256GB. I love the speed and responsiveness, and FaceID is a marvel. The camera is probably my favourite thing, and the colour and beauty of the screen is second. Wireless charging is AWESOME, as is the ability to fast charge via USB-PD (power delivery). I like the gestures too, they seem to be natural within a week and a half of owning the phone.

The phone isn't without problems though:
    1) FaceID isn't perfect. I've trained it with and without my glasses, and after a while it defaults to working well when I'm wearing my glasses, and not working at all reliably when I'm not wearing them, for example at night in bed. This is mildly irritating.
    2) The speakers don't seem as loud as on my iPhone 7 +.
    3) I remain slightly unconvinced that the screen is really as big as that on my iPhone 7+. I think the measurements Apple use for marketing are a bit of a cheat. That said, I don't feel like I'm using a smaller phone except when it comes to those apps which are still unoptimised for the iPhone X screen.

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Mannnn the gestures are the best part of this phone imo. I love them much more than a button.

22. kirk.vino macrumors member

Again, you’re putting the words in my mouth that I never said. I never said that I laugh at how outdated this or that phone is. I laugh at myself that I’m so used to new hand gestures and that was my original post to begin with.

23. freakomac macrumors newbie

My favorite features of the X in no particular order:
    Display
    Face ID
    That Power!
    Battery life
    Gestures/ Interface
    Stunning Camera

24. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

7am till 7pm at 91%....Looks like you barely used your phone for the day.

25. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Now, I'm not the biggest user but I receive 50 emails and 30 texts a day, all email is set to push, I make about 20 minutes of phone calls, I web browse for maybe 2 hours all-in, I check Twitter on and off, the one hour round trip commute has Bluetooth on and connected all day.

For that 12 hour use period and identical amount of usage each day I used to come home with 35% battery. Now I come home at 91%. And on weekends when I'm doing all that plus talking a lot more and shooting photos and taking video and playing a few games I have yet to end a day of my first month with the iPhone X with less than 60% battery.

Pretty amazing.