iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. le_cagou macrumors member

le_cagou

after having the first one with severe quality issues (piss-yellow screen and nasty sharp edges) exchanged the second one is fine. a good phone, glad to have it. fantastic battery life compared to the iphone 7. gestures take 30 seconds to learn, don't want the button back. face id is great. the oled screen isn't - it's somewhat ok, but lcd was way better. but is the x worth the price tag? no. definitely not.

2. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Oh yes, especially when answering it. I look for the notch or feel for the hole for the speaker. I am thrilled it is still ios which to me is the easiest operating system. The new gestures were easy once I got it because I had watched quite a few video's. But I find I want to swipe up on my ipad instead of hitting the home button. I had to redo my facial recognition because I found I didn't think about looking down when I pick it up. That has helped with it recognizing my face. I always liked my sister's androids size but preferred the ios over their operating system. To me this is perfect and can't wait to show them at Christmas.

3. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I thought it was by far the best iPhone I've ever used. Unfortunately I had to trade it in for an 8+ due to eye strain and headache.
    I'm really hoping next year they make a X with an LCD screen or take care of the issue in some fashion. If so I'd buy another one in a second.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Wait a minute didnt you write a whole thread with a slew of reasons why you would never ever get an iphone X? :D

5. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Even if my eyes are tired I refuse to give mine up. I just made my font bigger and that helps

6. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I wish that would have worked for me but it didn't help. Headache just kept getting worse. Took two days for it to go away after I stopped using the phone. I tried everything conceivable!!!

7. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes.

It was Face ID. Thought it would be a hassle compared to Touch ID. Oops. Turns out I was wrong. Really wrong.

8. newellj macrumors 603

Was that an OLED problem, then?

9. Gaelic83 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Since I'm one of those few people without fingerprints, Face ID is fantastic where Before I had to put in my 6 numbers each time. BUMMER! The X is elegant, fast and beautiful and the best phone I've ever encountered.

10. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I don't know for sure. Some say it's the use of PWM in their OLED. I'm not technical enough to understand that stuff.

11. BigSky20 macrumors regular

I was just at a business conference and some of the sessions last way too long, so I check news, etc on my iPhone X. This is an arena where Face ID is annoying. I would look down, but Face ID would not work. I always needed to lift the phone every time my screen locked instead of previously holding it under the table and using Touch ID.

Overall, Face ID works very well BUT I still prefer Touch ID.

The phone is nice, but I am bored of iOS. A little more customization would be nice and give us real live wallpapers.

12. newellj macrumors 603

It turns out that 50% illumination is ~240Hz on the Samsung OLED displays, as reported by a number of sources (including Notebookcheck.com). This is apparently enough to cause real problems for some people, so it's good to have an iPhone 8 alternative (or the rumored 2018 X-variant with an LCD).

13. naturalstar, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Got into a discussion with some X owners to get their feedback on their experience. Same feedback by all on FaceID. We called it the “discretion factor”. It’s gone with FaceID and they don’t like it. They also wondered when iOS was going to really offer “something exciting” or at the least some more customization. Android may not get high praises, but more and more people are wondering why Apple can’t offer what’s readily available outside of the so-called walled garden, especially as the price leap has become evident. Doesn’t matter the mechanics or viability or Apple’s focus. The questions are being asked.

I’m just over here collecting data for the next release. I appreciate all feedback either way. Yours just stood out based on timing with similarities in feedback from people that I actually know.

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Before I bought my iPhone X I was concerned about the Face ID, figuring that with my luck it wouldn't work well for me; I had given up on Touch ID a long time ago. The day after I bought the phone, I decided to set up Face ID and, well, if it didn't work, too bad, I would just live with using the passcode all the time. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that Face ID has worked very well for me so far; there have only been a couple of times when it didn't immediately unlock the phone for me. I had read tips on here on getting the Face ID set up (angles of head and face, etc.) and that contributed to my success, I would say.

I am retired so am no longer in a situation where I'm sitting in meetings and trying to surreptitiously check my phone for messages, but I can definitely empathize with those who do have this issue!

15. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Thanks to the X i look back at the earlier iPhones as if they were iPods and Powerbooks, relics from the glorious past but relics.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

If ever you get into antiques you could buy my iPhone 6S. It looks like it should be in a museum but then again it is just over a year old.

17. _Refurbished_, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

_Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Returning the X opened my eyes to see how refined the iPhone 8 is. To me, the iPhone 8 is the true 10 year anniversary phone. It’s closer to Steve Job’s original vision (a vision I'm still aligned with), than the X.

The X represents is the first step in a new direction filled with untapped potential, but after using it since launch, it’s not ready to be my daily driver.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My stance is simple. I like it but I think I paid more than it’s worth, especially comparing some phones with similar technologies. Obviously Face ID is thebunique to iPhone deal but idk that it makes it worth at least $200 more.

I can from two years of the Plus and surprisingly haven’t really missed that aspect. I’d likely still give an ax plus a try though.

19. Downhilltenago macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

I am over phones in general. I do think the x is a really good phone and a lot of negativity is overblown. It does what I need it to do. I think I will wait for three years or more before I get a new phone.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A month + later and I am still thrilled with my iPhone X.

21. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Love my X. I find the FaceID is picky at times. Only annoying thing is using apps that have yet been optimized for the X. That lays on the developer though.

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Same as day one. I love it. Same as day one though. I see the notch all the time. Will never get the people that say they don’t notice it.

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Reasons to like the notch:

1. It tells everyone around you that you spent $1,500 on a phone.

2. It provides a very clear target to tap and jump you to the top of the Safari page you're on.

3. It tells everyone around you that you spent $1,500 on a phone.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

That depends if you are surrounded by people who are impressed by how much your phone costs though. I’m just trying to imagine how the people I know would react and something tells me they wouldn’t give a toss. Possibly more a personal triumph for the more materialistic person I guess.

25. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I came from a 6 and I’m liking it much more now that apps are getting designed for it