iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. nordique macrumors 6502a

I absolutely love it.

Best phone I’ve ever owned. IMO.

2. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Just yesterday I swapped my GF for her 8 Plus, I really like the X but she hated the size of the 8 Plus so much that it was ruining her experience and she uses her phone way more than me. I don't mind the 8 Plus size so I happily swapped her.

3. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Dude, I'm sorry, I find it very hard to believe that all that only consumes 9% of the battery. (The 2 hours of Web browsing alone....) You sure it's not plugged in while you're in the car or something?

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You mentioned the size of the iPhone X, which I think is highly underrated when it comes to in comparison when holding iPhone Plus. I like the iPhone Plus given it's older design, but the iPhone X plus is just more comfortable to hold, and comfortability is crucial when handling an iPhone one-handed.

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Awimoway

I only just got mine, but I want to say that it feels immensely better to hold than my 6 — Apple had gone too far with its thinness obsession, in my personal experience, making the 6 uncomfortable to hold in my large hand because I had to grip it hard to prevent dropping or I had to put a case on it (I dislike cases) to make it thicker. The X is the right thickness. It feels substantial without being overly so.

And the return of a glass back is a vast improvement over that slippery matte aluminum body in the 6. Now I just use a low-profile bumper and my fingers stick to the back of the phone like gecko feet.

I think its design is a tie with the 4 series, which had unbeatable looks and similar feel but was of course much smaller and lacked a full screen.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Today I spent some time shooting a few images with the camera, and again I really appreciate the size of the iPhone X as compared to the larger Plus models. I found it really awkward to try and hold my iPhone 7 Plus to shoot photos, whereas the iPhone X feels just right to me, although I still do have to be careful about getting a finger in the way!

7. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I have similar results. Now, there have been several times on weekends or during trips where battery got pretty low by evening and I needed to put it on the charger, but that's because I or my daughter have been running 3D games like Minecraft or whatever. Those can still drain the battery of the X fairly fast. But what I am seeing during the week is that push email, basic browsing, and a few calls seem to take a LOT less juice than they used to, which must mean that Apple has really dialed the low power modes for basic background operations and lighter usage scenarios. The low power cores, improvements to the OS, and innovation on the various chipsets within the phone has obviously paid off. But when you need a lot of power, say for an intense game, the CPU and GPU kick in hard and yes that does take battery.

8. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Lol after 3 replacements and a few days of complete headaches...I will say Apple needs to step up their game with quality control. Seriously!!!

The phone is good, almost great if you get one that's headache free, which can be had with some luck, or patience if you've gotten a lemon.

I don't want to hear it's a product of mass quantity, or things happen. I don't have that much bad luck to get handed a slew of bad apples, even my cousins had issues already with the screen and it appearing yellow on certain parts of the screen. I'm a realist and things happen, and all said and done I like Apple and I like the iPhone X. I just don't like how I had a perfectly decent phone and out of nowhere it died and I had to go threw a bunch of replacements and each one had issues one worse than the other, that in itself is a quality control issue.

9. Wowmail macrumors newbie

Wowmail

I've had mine for 2 weeks. It is fast, fluid, and does everything I ask. What I did not expect, this phone is fun!

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

11. scrapesleon macrumors regular

scrapesleon

best phone ever built I'm not upgrading anymore though I love my X

12. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

It is the single greatest consumer electronic item ever made.

13. Shaarujon567 macrumors regular

Shaarujon567

still in love with the phone like the first day I unboxed it. works beautifully and just feels like the future in my hands

14. Surratt14 macrumors newbie

Surratt14

Having had every single iPhone since the 3, this has been my best apple experience. Loving my x!

15. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

This phone is awesome! I love the look, the material, the power and how everything seems really thought out (not always executed to perfection but thought out nonetheless). I’ve been home sick for a day and half and I’ve been watching videos on my X instead of my tv because the video quality is waaaay better (I have a roughly 8-10 year old 720p tv).

16. rnodern macrumors newbie

To be honest, it's a little underwhelming. My work forces me to also have an S8 as a corporate device, and face rec works pretty well on that too; It also has fingerprint reader on the back and wireless charging, so i guess i wasn't wowed as they weren't new features for me. Gestures are okay and work well but have also had gestures on previous devices (as far back as OnePlus 1).
    Other than that, restoring from a backup, it's essentially your old phone on a new device.

On my X, the GPS behavior is weird. Like, it doesn't refresh your position on the map quickly like my 7 did. And i seem to drift around off the roads more.
    I use Whatsapp or Viber more than iMessage, so animoji is not really something i use either.

IMO - It's a step Apple needed to make to remain competitive. Sure it costs a bit more to make, but the price tag is high to literally provide investment growth for shareholders. So, expect the next release to be more expensive still.

17. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Day to day usage is fine, I prefer this form factor and screen over my 7 Plus by miles. I was concerned about battery life, but it seems to hold up well enough throughout my day. Helps that it gets a small top up on my commutes when I plug it in for CarPlay.

Face ID still sucks though. It’s slow and fussy, and I end up having to use my passcode far too often.

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I really think the version of iOS 11 on the iPhone X could or should be available for all iPhones.

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Coming from a 7 plus I kind of feel the same way although it is obviously smaller with an “edge to edge” screen so that part of the experience is completely different.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Of all the things to improve upon for future iPhones, Face ID will be Apples primary goal, because it is the sole purpose of Apples future as they noted. Not just in the sense of improving security, but the overall responsiveness of the sensors, improving different angles Face ID can be used, improving the machine learning process of how Face ID adapts to the user, etc .

Face ID is much like touch ID when it first started, it will never be perfect, but Apple will continue to shape shift it to make it even better than it was when it first started.

21. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

It just shows how intuitive the new gestures are. I have been an iPhone user since the 3G came out. I have had multiple iPads in this time as well. Yet, after a week of owning the X, the gestures became so natural that it feels weird when I pickup a different iPhone or my iPad. Kind of like the click wheel on iPods at one time seemed untouchable...

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

that for my needs is clearly the best phone on the market

23. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Anyone finding that it's hard to pick the phone up the right way around every time?

24. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Never upgrading?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM ---
    Wishing they would just allow swiping apps up to close them instead on press and hold and press the x

25. newellj macrumors 603

I wouldn't say it sucks, and I almost never have to use a passcode, but I do wind up having to work around FaceID quite often. Phone's on the desk? Have to pick it up, can't just press the home button. ApplePay - I want to just put my thumb on the home button and stick the phone at the reader, but instead I have to double click, line up the camera, wait to confirm it got my face, and only after that's all done hold it over the reader. And it unlocks when I didn't want it to - sometimes I just want to check my notifications on the lock screen, which is very hard with the X.

The rest of the phone I'm still totally in love with. Love the display, the form factor, the battery life. FaceID lets the rest of the phone down, in my opinion. On a phone where everything else is literally a 10, FaceID is a 7, on good days. YMMV.

I think that's right. It's like TouchID on the 5S and 6. Then we got the 6S and yikes, all of a sudden TouchID was like lightning. I think that next year or by 2019 at the latest Apple will have made the same leaps with FaceID. Faster, and more tolerant of various distances and angles. So the question is: for $1000 for the "base" model X, do you want to be an early adopter? On the fence, myself...