iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Macalway macrumors 68020

I like it but can't use it one handed, impossible, and in a car this is a huge problem. If there was a way to disable the swipe it would be great. Otherwise it's a nice phone.

2. newellj macrumors 603

And FaceID in general can be a problem in a vehicle, unless the phone is mounted in a place and at an angle where it can get the right view of your face.

3. lestere macrumors member

lestere

There isn't anything that I dislike about the iPhone X. I love the Face ID, it's the perfect size (for me anyway), and while it's expensive as hell, it's the BEST iPhone I have ever owned! I do however, protect my investment with a beautiful Apple leather case...

4. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

5. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502

My wife has an X and says it’s the best phone she’s ever used. Coming from a galaxy s7 last year and a galaxy s8 this year. Pretty high praise I feel.

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just an update to my earlier post . .. with more time I like the X even better. I have a 7 for work, and years with 6 Plus and 7 Plus. I find the X size just about perfect for me. The 7 is clearly too small for my fingers. The plus is nice, but the X is just about perfect. Facial Recognition has been almost flawless for me, and I find it faster in use than fingerprint recognition. I also am warming up (pun intended) to the warmer screen. I am finding it very natural. A more intangible observation is just how smooth everything is. Just scrolling or opening and closing apps. My battery life would be better if I just put it down a little more often, but it's almost like an electronic fidget spinner.

7. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

The only complaint that I have about the iPhone X is Face ID. Unlike with Touch ID, I can't check my notifications when the phone is lying flat and I frequently run into issues with it unlocking when it's mounted in my car or on the lightning dock on my desk. If they could have somehow fit the TouchID sensor into the phone it would be a 10/10 for me.

8. ipponrg macrumors regular

Careful. Some people here will tell you that you're using it "wrong", and the proper way to use the iPhone X is to hold it in your hands or fall back to using the pass code :D

Sarcasm aside, I agree with you. I also get 9/10 failures when I'm trying to open it while on my side in bed. Hopefully they will address this next year.

9. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I agree, it improved noticeably from 6 plus to 7 plus. My FaceID isn't working all that great on my X, but it's acceptable.

10. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

The Touch ID on my 6+ was pretty spotty, so I ended up not using it. The Touch ID on my 2017 MBP is spotty, too. It used to work fine, but now it doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried deleting and re-doing my fingerprints, but no joy. I've been washing a LOT of dishes this holiday season, so maybe that had an effect. I knew a nurse once who had no fingerprints at all because of how often she had to wash her hands. It was odd looking... fingers with smooth skin and no prints. It wasn't a genetic defect, either.

11. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

still love mine. I've trained face ID to recognize me with my scarf on so its GOAT on that alone.
    i came from a 4.7 7. so the new camera, battery life, larger screen are all huge for me.
    i hate my scuffs on my SS sides but thaz unavoidable without a bulky case.

12. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I picked up my old 7 plus yesterday and was completely shocked at how large it felt.

13. tehfunk macrumors newbie

I've been using the Plus sized phones since they came out...which I guess is about 3 years now. Turns out I do miss the bigger screens of the phablets which I didn't think I would. The home indicator bar thingy is mildly irritating in some apps and apps that haven't had their UI updated for the X are a bummer but the list is getting smaller. FaceID is great, except for the times it fails which feels like slightly more than TouchID. Also it feels slightly slower than TouchID (it may or may not be, technically -- but it *feels* slower to me.)

That said the OLED screen is truly great, and I do like the new gestures, especially multitasking. Probably the iPhone X2 Plus on iOS 12 will address all my nitpicks lol.

14. lexvo macrumors 65816

I like my iPhone X more than I expected :) because:
    - face-ID works great and more and more apps support it
    - it surprised me how fast I got used to the new gestures
    - large screen in a relative compact housing
    - everything runs very smooth

15. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I agree with this and would add that the main selling point for me was dual cameras in a relatively compact phone (compared to the 8 Plus and other phablets).

I already prefer FaceID to TouchID by a wide margin. It's very fast and it works for more more consistently. I never could get TouchID to work with my left thumb no matter how many times I re-scanned it. It would work on that thumb maybe 20% of the time, while my right thumb worked 95% of the time. So anytime I was using my left hand, I had to key in my passcode/PIN or use my right thumb. FaceID has been remarkably consistent for me, and I love how it works with passcode protected apps like my password manager and Outlook app (work email). It's very fast and just feels like I don't have to do anything special... the phone just recognizes me. In fact the entire phone experience feels fast and fluid, but I'm coming from an iPhone 6 so of course it will seem like a huge performance boost.

16. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Only been semi using it for two days so far. Not putting it to “real” use till I decide if I’m keeping it.

OLED - looks amazing, gives me a bit of a headache. More colour shift than I was expecting when changing phone angle. (Green / red ish when on white). Least problem free iPhone display I’ve had in years.

Face ID - works a treat but I want it to open the phone as well. Like I could with Rest to Open with TouchID. My finger is usually in the wrong position to swipe up from the bottom to open the phone. TouchID has always worked well for me, only really having issues if my finger was wet (sweat, or from not drying fingers properly after washing)

Sound - better than my 6S. Doesn’t sound like it’s in a bathtub, although it lacks a little bass.

Weight / Heft - good, reminds me of my old 4S & 5S.

Notch - don’t mind it except zooming in on photos.

Control Center - pain in the bum to get too; even with Reachability enabled.

Gestures - hit and miss. Mostly get on with them, triggering Reachability sometimes causes multitasking.

Battery - Can’t comment yet except usage & standby times are currently in sync with each other. I guess phone might be backing up in the background still?

Camera - little bit i’Ve used it so far is better than my 6S.

Haptic Feedback - clicking / scratching sound occasionally.

Observations: there’s an interesting diagonal effect observable with a camera in slo-mo mode pointed at the iPhone X’s screen when its on its lowest brightness level. You can see a diagonal wave.

Also an oddity where the night mode and volume widget turn a light blue when bringing the brightness down from full to around 30% when True Tone is on.

17. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I don't notice a green color shift, but I definitely have a pink color cast that is subtle, but most noticeable when the display is as dim as it will go because I'm in a dark room. If I'm on an app/page with a white background I notice it quite easily. It shifts more to blue as I change the angle... pink being strongest when looking straight on. It's not noticeable at typical brightness levels unless I'm looking for it.

Overall I'm not sold on whether the advantages of OLED are worth the disadvantages.

18. newellj macrumors 603

I think your headache is caused by the way that brightness is controlled with the OLED display. PWM or pulse width modulation basically makes the display flicker, which can give some people headaches. That's what you're probably seeing with the camera in slow motion mode. It's a characteristic of this phone.

19. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I hated True Tone as well. But love it now. Especially after I calibrated the display... I am more likely not to use night shift now though

20. UnifiedMelody macrumors member

UnifiedMelody

sound like you are never using the phone at all at that rate... im pretty sure about it! :)

21. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

It's 26g heavier than the 8. You're being ridiculous.

22. linterry macrumors newbie

One month user here. Only major complaint is eyestrain, which went away after turning off True Tone (never happened with LED iOS devices). But still love it for the form factor and the minimal bezels. It really makes the other iPhones look dated by comparison.

23. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I've only had it 2 days, but I feel the same way. I was already tiring of the home button on my 6s+, and I think Face ID is awesome. Apps not being updated can be annoying, but when you're an early adopter, you have to expect growing pains. In fact, I was surprised so many apps were already updated.

If I watched more videos on my phone, the notch would probably bother me. But, I don't. So it doesn't. I do notice the more narrow screen at some times versus my plus, but overall I don't feel like I lost usable space, and I much prefer the overall size.

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

exactly the reasons I didn't buy the x.

25. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

I’ve only had it for 4 days and definitely a nice upgrade from the iPhone 6. I do missed the home button though, there are games required me to swipe up but it ends up taking me back to “home”. I do like the Face ID though especially I live in Canada, wearing a glove in winter is a hassle whenever I need to unlock it but that’s not an issue anymore. I have those special knitted glove specially made for touch screen.