iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Same here :)

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. shooter45acp macrumors member

Love my X my brother-in-law liked it so much he just went out and bought one..

4. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

My stance is that I regret my purchase. Simply because I don't think it's worth the outrageous price. Thankfully I can upgrade in 12 months. Hopefully this rumored 6.1" LCD iPhone at $650-$750 is really happening. I'll purchase outright and hold onto it for as long as it continues to work.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I'm back on my iPhone 7 plus. The x is a great phone, it's just that I got my 7 plus red edition for 1/2 the price of the x.

6. pjny macrumors 6502a

I recently used my old 6s+ and the screen looked so washed out compared to X. The X screen is outstanding. The 6s+ looked low contrast in comparison.

the x has also allowed me to efficiently do the impossible just a couple of years ago: edit 36 megapixel images and edit and transmit 1080/4k video on deadline. I shot video from X and Nikon cameras and find using the videoleap app so much more efficient that i now airdrop downloaded Nikon video files from macbook for quick editing on iphone and transmission via slack.

7. Fthree macrumors 6502a

still loving my X but have an interesting question that nobody could possibly know at the moment...

What are the chances apple adds an onscreen touch id in the next version? Any tech people that could maybe forecast if thats a possibility or not?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017 ---
    how did you train it to recognize you with a scarf on?

8. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Zero.

Face ID works too well to step back.

9. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

This is SO dumb... the design alone is rather new, just like when other phones have done it (eg galaxies). What do you expect when you get a new phone, I mean really?

10. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

agreed. just trying to point out negatives... AS USUAL!!!
    why is it so many people focus on the negatives rather than the positives... i do not understand what they get out of that. especially pointless crap like "weight" it's not like the iphone x was one hand usable thanks to the elongated ratio of 19.5:9 vs the standard 16:9 [iPhone 8 users can easily still 1 hand it with a decent grippy case on it due to the shorter height screen]
    people are expecting way too much of a phone. i mean after a week it will eventually be iOS all over again... and familiar with a few new gestures, at least that was from my experience of using it for a month before i set my mind on the 8 Plus. Whilst i like the all screen design, the 19.5:9 ratio is kinda weird at the moment even though majority of the android were on that ratio now [ie Note 8 S8/8+ G6 etc] also i noticed a few buggy stuff with iPhone X like proper inscaling of the app which caused the back button to be stuck in the part where the signal is displayed and can't tap, forced to kill app just to get back functionality... imo still new,

whilst i do agree a lot of people are going to be happy with iPhone X's redesign, smaller compact form factor, all screen glamour, duo OIS, OLED display, and a premium design to boot... I feel the Software part still needs more refining, there were a lot of bugs which i discovered which made it feel somewhat incomplete for now... hardware should be fine since that's one off usually. but the software bugs which i discovered were hard to ignore.
    i can agree with this, from my experience playing with both 8+ and X models, the X was more of an iPhone 8 with an iPhon e8 Plus screen to boot put it simply. Would appeal to those who find the Plus size too big, however i think from my experience, both phones are nowhere close to one-hand usable one way or another.

Reasons:
    1) iPhone X's elongated 19.5:9 ratio makes it cumbersome to swipe with one hand only especially top right corner or tap the top left corner to go back so like it or not its still a 2-handed device by all means. A fix to this is using assist touch to program a double tap to bring down control centre to make it sorta one-hand usable.

if they did manage to make a 16:9 iPhone all screen it would appease to masses i guess but not everyone obviously. only because right now the new ratio is going to take awhile to get adjustable with all apps and videos are still commonly 16:9 and not shifting anytime soon.

2) iPhone 8 Plus, no need to discuss its big its fat and massive.

11. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

12. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

Well, I own one, and I haven't found any yet.

13. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I find that sometimes the camera thinks it is upside down, and also the portrait mode with stage lighting can do with some refinement.

However as @UnifiedMelody made such explicit exclaimations about the bugs he/she found I was interested in finding about those :)

14. bushman4 macrumors 68020

it’s a great iPhone but it needs some refinements. And I’m sure we’ll see that in the next version in 2018

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

That has been going on with my iPhone 6 for three years. Not an X sitatuion. An iOS situation.

The only iPhone X bug I have found is that people bug me and ask me to hold it. I would prefer they show some respect and not hassle me, no different than a rockstar feels when he's out in a restaurant just trying to have a nice dinner and doesn't want to give any autographs.

16. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Odd, I never encountered it on my 6 Plus nor my 7 Plus...

Oh I get people constantly asking me for a selfie - I'm used to it :)

17. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Apples FACE ID write up says when the face ID fails and asks for the pin, you should opt to enter the pin and not just reset and try face ID again. When you put in the pin on a fail, it adds that face to the database and uses it later. After putting in my pin on fails repeatedly on my commute to work, by the time I was commuting home, it was accepting my face with a hat and scarf on. This also goes for other instances when it on my desk or in my bed. Lots of people dont know this and just write off face ID because of this.

18. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Ooh, I should've paid more attention previously. Thanks for this useful tip.

19. fjd726 macrumors regular

I have it but I don't feel it's worth its price tag. May go back to a regular 8.

20. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

And the iPhone in 2018 will be a great iPhone but in need of some refinements. The one after that will be also great - but a few refinements would be nice. In 2025, the iPhone will be great.... but need some refinements. Oh, btw, iPhone 7 is also great, but 8 and X added some needed refinements.

You know what they say, a good design is not done until it’s abandoned.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    What would make it worth the price tag? An honest question, I am not trying to be mean or anything - I am genuinely interested. It’s an expensive phone and not for everyone, for sure, but I am a bit surprised when people do buy it and then decide it’s not worth it - so, hypothetically speaking, what would make it worthy? And, try to be within the realm of possible :)

21. LennyFL macrumors member

I've had my X for about 5 weeks now and I just took my 6+ to apple to replace the battery, of course they are out and it will be a week before they get one. After that I'm going back to the 6+ and selling the X. I just don't like it.
    Screen is to small needs to be wider
    Battery life sucks
    No headphone jack
    Yea it's got a nice camera and screen but it's not worth $1,000.00

22. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

23. SunnySharma__, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

SunnySharma__ macrumors member

To me, iPhone X looks great, but is definitely overpriced. Moreover, after using it for more than a month now, I am disappointed with the overall performance of it (may be because of ios11), but here are my main issues -

- Having 3 gb of RAM does not seem to be doing full justice to it, or may ios11 is not managing it well on iPhoneX. I was expecting it keep more apps in RAM, specially when I dont do any heavier stuff at all like playing games.
    - the moment i start the camera app and take some photos, specially portrait ones, all the open apps in the app switcher start refreshing - every single one of them.
    - when i try to transfer some photos/videos using air-drop, same thing happens - apps from app switcher start refreshing.
    - there is some slight stutter/lag all over the phone, specially scrolling through a long list or something, or swiping through home screen pages.
    - quick reply from lock screen or incoming notifications stutters really bad.
    - a true dark mode is definitely needed.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a drastic difference between the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone X. I don't think I could ever go back to the iPhone 6 Plus with one GB of RAM. Even given the opportunity to have a new battery with the 6 Plus, the iPhone X is vastly different in every way and I think the battery life is actually very good. And for me, the headphone jack is not even an argument. The AirPods work excellent in my situation.