iPhone X iPhone X a month later... What's your stance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMePls, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I definitely notice the weight vs my 6, but my wallet is a lot lighter now, so I guess it breaks even.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Once you adjust to the new form factor on the iPhone X, it's far more comfortable than holding the iPhone Plus models. The extra width on the iPhone Plus definitely made it much more cumbersome to hold.

4. newellj macrumors 603

On the video/notch thing, I guess it depends on what apps you use. All the apps I use seem to black out the "horns" around the notch, so effectively the display size is shortened by the width of the notch.

5. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

The best phone design since the iPhone 4, IMO. Transparent technology that just works. I love it.

6. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

My thoughts exactly.

7. micqo macrumors regular

Best iPhone ever !! :apple:

I have used iPhones since 2007 and owned every model - the X is so cool phone! I love design, screen, Face ID, the size. I really like this iPhone, its something I have waited a long time! :) I highly recommended to buy if u considering!

8. Kcp1377 macrumors newbie

Love it. I was wary after hearing people who missed the touch ID, but the improved camera and video made me give it a chance. Face ID is awesome, the touch controls to me feel very intuitive and there was almost no adjustment coming from the 7+. I love that it's a bit smaller, fits in my gimbal better and is easier to hold. I haven't missed my 7+ for even a second and now when I use touch (my husband has the 7 and I gave my daughter the 7+) it feels clunky. No regrets whatsoever.

9. boltjames, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

For me, turns out that the iPhone X's killer feature can be summed up as "convenience":

Wireless Charging - so simple and easy, my kids can't break wires anymore.

Wireless Audio - no headphone jack brings freedom from tangled cables.

Face ID - faster and easier than Touch, it's like the phone has no security at all.

3D Touch - one deep press away from time saving shortcuts all over the OS.

Gestures - makes the experience of navigating the OS and apps faster.

Battery Life - I'm getting almost 3x the staying power of my 6, it's liberating.

Each of these individually is not a big deal. But all 4 together for the first time for the majority of X owners who are coming from the 6 and it's a gamechanger.

Incredible conveniences. More important than hardware.

10. tjhassan macrumors member

Ended up returning mine and went with their regular 8. Good phone, but wasn’t worth it for me.

11. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I'm very pleased with my X that I received back in November. A solid upgrade from my 7 Plus...Key elements for me;
    - Form factor: to me, this is the ideal size. Yet I'm not losing any material screen estate
    - Look and feel: reminds me of the original iPhone with the stainless steel and 'weighty' feel of it
    - Cross-platform alignment: ios11 was great on my iPad Pro, now it feels like my phone caught up with it
    - Face ID: really like and works super duper for me. Had -8 wearing tracker hats in Poland, had heavy snow and gloves in the UK, and currently are in super bright Western Australia with polarising sunnies and baseball caps during the day, and those dark early evenings at night. It works flawlessly.
    - Gestures: makes it feel different from my 7 Plus, like a very good evolution of iOS
    - AR: already some good and useful implementations
    - Cameras: wow they are truly something special. I've used all three of them and they are superb and really useable when getting the photos back onto my mac.
    - Battery life: as good as my plus but much smaller...

One slightly annoying thing; I still don't quite like the double press to use apple pay. I tend to not use my phone but watch for that all the time now. That was the one area where touch id was simply quicker, and more stable in my hand to use it. Especially on busy commuter tube stations.

The other thing is the cost, not a problem to me personally but when I'm in certain countries travelling for work and people relate it to paying their rent for six months it then reminds me of why I rarely wear my Rolex these days.

12. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Reminds me why I’ve never even bought a Rolex, though I could afford one. :p

13. mproudfoot macrumors member

mproudfoot

well your finding it comical is irrelevant. iOS 11 is a major release that should offer a lot more than it has.

14. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Totally new? Didn't need to be totally new. Just needed to be better than the iPhone 6.

And it is.

15. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I'm ~ 2 months into ownership (received on Nov 3rd) and it's still an outstanding device. I've used it to manage my life, business, record amazing photos/videos, it hasn't failed me on any task, love the size + display res + feature set. FID is way more effective for me, the battery is fantastic, and it fits nicely into my pocket :)

See posts #234 and #236 for additional summaries that mostly match my experience. :D

16. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

That’s an interesting...feeling. “Swiping up to go home is so cumbersome”. I’ve never heard that before. Maybe you should do some thumb exercises. I’ve found i have exceptionally buff thumbs so i haven’t gotten tired of going home yet

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I always appreciate feedback from a long time iPhone user such as yourself. Because it gives you the opportunity to see where the iPhone started and where it is today, and that you appreciate the changes of how it has conformed over the years. I think the iPhone X was a great start to 2017, but I think next year will be a bigger year even in 2018 with another size/model offered.

18. tarsins macrumors 6502

tarsins

It's a great phone. The size is perfect, FaceID is superb (and I feel sad for those who cannot get on with it) and the display is gorgeous. I didn't think I'd be as impressed with wireless charging but it's so convenient. It reminds me of the feeling I had with my first iPhone (a 3GS), it's the beginning of a new era.

19. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I’ve owned every generation since 3G, both the number and the S...definitely one of the buggiest phone to date—more probably with the OS then the phone itself.

But other than that, it’s terrific. The camera isn’t a huge update from the 7+ but slightly noticeable.

The edge to edge is amazing when you’re playing games.

Eh.

20. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

A great summary. I would add that there is a sense of refinement, elegance, and build quality that is simply stunning. The display appears to float on top of a jewelled body and the technology is effortlessly executed. And with power that rivals a MacBook Pro.

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I’ve had mine for 2 weeks now and I can honestly say that I love it. All of my prior reservations were unfounded.

22. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Glad to see many still happy with the X & that It's turned out to be the happy middle ground of form factor we were all hoping it would be.

I can imagine.

It'll be very interesting to see how a larger X-style device sells in 2018 - Will the old Plus users who bought the X this year return to a larger form factor or stick with the 5.8" screen….

23. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

still love mine and does everything I need it to really and I have really got used to how good the device is in the hand. Doesn't feel too big like the plus did at times.

love the design and having the OLED display...certainly missed having that

24. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I know. One of the main reasons why I was apprehensive about getting the X was moving to a smaller screen size. Well to be honest I’ve not really noticed much difference. The only time it’s noticible is when I’m watching videos but I tend to use the web browser more than watching videos and the X is better for that. The X is a lot easier to hold then any of the previous plus models I’ve had.

25. fred98tj macrumors 6502

To me the camera on the X is a pretty big upgrade from the 7+ of mine.
    Jpgs right out of the box are noticeably better (though I normal shot in raw only). The slow sync flash, 4K @ 60 FPS and ois on the long lens are also great upgrades over the 7+.