iPhone X and iPhone 8 Charge to 50% in 30 Minutes With Fast-Charge Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Though not mentioned on stage at today's event, both the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 are "fast-charge capable," which means the two devices can be charged to 50 percent battery life in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, that fast-charging feature is not available using accessories that are sold alongside the two devices. To charge at that level, the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 need to be plugged into Apple's 29W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapters, which are sold alongside its USB-C MacBook and MacBook Pro models.

[​IMG]

The least expensive USB-C Power Adapter is the 29W version for the MacBook, priced at $49. The 61W USB-C Power Adapter for the 13-inch MacBook Pro is $69, and the 87W USB-C Power Adapter for the 15-inch MacBook Pro is $79.

To go along with the USB-C Power Adapter, a USB-C to Lightning Cable is also required. Apple charges $25 for a 1 meter cable and $35 for a 2 meter cable.

That means the cheapest solution for fast charging is going to cost iPhone owners an additional $74.

Both devices also support wireless charging using Qi-compatible wireless charging accessories. Product listings for the Belkin and Mophie wireless charging accessories say that high-speed wireless charging (7.5 watts) will be enabled via an update coming later this year, but it won't match the fast-charging speeds available through the USB-C power adapter.

As for battery life, the iPhone X offers two hours of battery life over the iPhone 7, while the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus continue to offer the same battery life.

Article Link: iPhone X and iPhone 8 Charge to 50% in 30 Minutes With Fast-Charge Feature

2. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry having to by another power adapter. WOW. I mean really Apple?

3. DrJohnnyN macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

4. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

this company is getting more ridiculous by the minute

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Pay a premium for a device. And they don't include the hardware to be able to utilize one of the largest features. Sad day.

6. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I’m surprised they didn’t talk about it but perhaps focusing on wireless. It was clear on the spec sheet though, while the power adapter suitability wasn’t clear unless you go looking for it. Its strangely a feature they’re pushing to the side.

7. modemthug macrumors regular

The Android fanboys are going to have a field day with this

And for once, they’re right

This is obscene

8. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

What? Fast chargers are not included in the box? Now that is greedy, if true?

Did anyone try charging with the regular chargers? How much time that takes to 50%?

9. profets macrumors 68040

Cool that it has this, but I bet that 99.9% of users will never make use of it. How often do you suddenly need a high wattage block charger to get 50% in half an hour? I’m sure there’s a niche of users that would, but really not a big deal for the majority. As for bundling in the box, not sure if it’s a good idea that everyone is charging at such a high wattage when doing their daily charge.

Still cool anyway.

10. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

They didn't talk about it because they would have got booed off the stage mentioning the charger that you need to use the feature doesn't come in the box. Trust me that's exactly why it wasn't mentioned.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---

Really? Heavy users could benefit from quick charging pretty frequently. I know I do.

11. pukrnukr macrumors member

I'm glad they have the quick charge on the phone and not include the charger than no quick charge at all. I'm pretty sure you can use any other brand quick charger now. So if you already own one from another product or a newer anker charger then you can probably just use the normal USB cable. Anker has quick chargers on their normal usb A chargers so hopefully a usb C cable isn't needed.

12. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Oh good another thing I need to along with my 1200 dollar phone.

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Not only that no mention of Lightning Cable supporting USB3.1 data speeds :(

Steve Jobs Theatre opening greeting track remastered "Greed, Greed, Greed! Money is all you need!"

At least Apple is ambitious, BlackBerry barely did squat when they had the money rolling in.

14. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

what do you mean? I don't think you need anything to send your face as a panda with the IPX

15. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

It's a nice feature for MacBook owners who already have the appropriate charger. But $50 minimum for an AC adapter that costs maybe $5 to manufacture is outright theft.

16. profets macrumors 68040

I have a 12W charger (like iPads use) and it’s couple hours for full charge of a 7 Plus I think.
    Really? Yes, really. It’s cool that it’s there. But it’ll be needed by a small niche of users.

17. pdoobs macrumors newbie

So the low-end laptops are the only ones with tradition USB ports and the iPhone that costs $1k+ still doesn't ship with a USB Type-C cable? At least they are still biting the bullet on those margins and including the lighting-to-3.5mm jack adapter...

18. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

This isn't one of the biggest features. It was barely mentioned. And if you want it, it's a nice option to have. Very few need it, and if you can afford a phone this expensive and want this feature, $70ish is trivial. If $70ish is not trivial, don't buy a $1000 phone. Easy.

19. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Nice. Already purchased the 29w and cable when I got my 10.5 iPad Pro. Worth every penny.

20. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I definitely agree with you, but it is not trivial if you accumulate all the side costs

apple care
    phone case
    charge mats
    adapters
    and so on and so forth

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I have two brand new 87w usb c power adapters if anybody wants em :D

22. poppy10 macrumors regular

All the time

I've been out working all day,.come home and have half an hour to get changed and go out for a dinner party. It's great to be able to top up my phone back to more than half full to last me the rest of the night

Or, I've been on a plane and used up all my battery. When I land and get to my hotel I can quickly charge up and then head on out

23. michael31986 macrumors 68030

How is the x compared to 7 plus. That's what I want to know. Battery life wise.

24. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Wow. So the phone is $999 and can’t include a fast charger? The damn Note is $930 and includes a fast charger, a fast wireless charger and 128GB SD card. Ridiculous.

25. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

My Moto X Play (bought late-) 2015 had a turbo charge. I replaced it a few weeks ago w/ Samsung A5 ("2017") & it, too has it.

This is why us Android users spaz when people say Samsung/others copy Apple. I see an article here today on a flexible phone by Samsung. If it pans out, it'll be called a gimmick until about 2021 when Apple gets around to doing it, too (OLED is Apple's late attempt today). Sigh.

Apple, I want to love you but your decisions & elitist customers' distortion makes it difficult. Another sign.